• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Does Giannis Antetokounmpo starting at PG scare anybody?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kizzle

All-Star
Reaction score
Hearing Jason Kidd may be thinking about replacing Knight with Giannis for good as the PG. Poor Brandon Knight. to me this is obviously scary because there is always the what if. What if he actually figures out his game and this becomes a good thing for the Bucks? 7 foot PG is a problem for sure.

But then again, its not like the guy has Kyrie handles. He has a great dribble for a player so tall, but if he were average PG height his handles wouldn't be special at all. He cant shoot at all. He does have nice vision and that length makes him able to physically throw any pass in basketball. He can also defend. Now can he defend great PGs?

In the game VS Cavs we saw him at point and in my opinion he did nothing special. I remember him having one great pass where he reached around a defender and fed a shooter but besides that his weaknesses were on full display. He over dribbled a lot just to bailout and make some weak wing pass, he cant shoot so every time I saw him with the ball nobody was within 3 feet of him if he was on the perimeter, and he wasn't really the factor on D that a near 7 footer with guard speed and agility should be.

If he could shoot from range then I say I would really be afraid of him at PG, but at this point he's a Rondo with slightly above average court vision, worse defense, and worse jumper, that's really tall.

Did you watch him last night? He looks like a seven footer who can't play point guard. He brought the ball up the floor, but he wasn't flashing elite passing ability or court vision. Typically he'd just pass the ball off to someone else in the half-court and then play off the ball. I'd say at best he has the handles to play small forward.

There have been other players since magic who were big point guards, steve smith and lebron for a start, both found more success at the other positions due to the "MYoung23 defensive position law". Basically having giannis guard the point guard limits the bucks defensive efficiency as he can't guard the wing which is a more valuable commodity given his measurements.

This is compounded by the fact that the bucks failed to run any sets to take advantage of his size.

Until he can shoot hes not a threat as a PG IMHO

Did you watch him last night? He looks like a seven footer who can't play point guard. He brought the ball up the floor, but he wasn't flashing elite passing ability or court vision. Typically he'd just pass the ball off to someone else in the half-court and then play off the ball. I'd say at best he has the handles to play small forward.
Showed enough for Kidd to think about replacing Brandon Knight. I don't know if that's because Knight is a horrible PG(I have to say no, he definitely has potential even tho all you ever see is Kyrie crossing him onto his ass), or if its because Jason Kidd is a dumbass..............Jury is still out on that one

Wonder if Bucks will just throw him out and tell him to learn on the job like the Wiz did John Wall. If I remember correctly I remember a lot of people saying he'd never make it at PG in the NBA. And now look.

Showed enough for Kidd to think about replacing Brandon Knight. I don't know if that's because Knight is a horrible PG(I have to say no, he definitely has potential even tho all you ever see is Kyrie crossing him onto his ass), or if its because Jason Kidd is a dumbass..............Jury is still out on that one

kiddwhoops.gif

Kid's all hype and athleticism right now. Not worried in the slightest.

In the last game he showed nothing to be worried about. Given his current skill set his height will be more of a disadvantage on defense than an advantage on offense.

Not yet, but he has a lot of potential.

If this wasn't Jason Kidd making this move I would be more intrigued, however I would not put it past him at this point to do something just to try and look like the smartest guy in the room. Trying out a guy as raw as Antetokounmpo looks like that kind of deal. Does he ever develop enough to play point? Maybe, but he has alot to work on still as everyone knows. It would be cool if he does, and we know Kidd would happily take credit if it did happen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."