1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Does Utah hold the key to Cleveland's future?

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Smooth, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Smooth

Smooth Vatreni

As of writing this post, it's obvious the one lacking piece to the Cavs core right now is a player down low... The Cavs have their leader and #1 option in Kyrie Irving... And they hopefully have another facilitator and secondary scoring option (#2 or #3) in Dion Waiters... Outside of that on the roster, there isn't any real players in the way of guys who can really get their own shot, do it well and do it at a high rate... While the Cavs have drafted Zeller and Thompson, they aren't players who will be built around but rather be built with... What the Cavs are lacking right now is that 3rd piece they can really build with..

So with that being said, insert the Utah Jazz... The Jazz are a perfect storm brewing for the Cavaliers and where they're at in their development... What the Cavaliers lack is what the Jazz have in excess of... And what the Jazz have in excess of will need to get moved... Here's what I'm referring to:

Looking around the NBA, there aren't many viable, young big men ready to step in and become a core piece... Actually let me rephrase that: there are few and far between... And those that could be considered for that role are either not available or far out of reach... With the Jazz, that isn't the case..

With the Jazz, there is no way Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap will be on this team next year... none.. Both could be gone but more than likely it'll be one or the other... The Jazz have too much invested in the development of Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors to pay both Jefferson and Millsap with how they'll likely be paid this off-season... Not to mention, Mo Williams will also be a free-agent and Marvin Williams could be looking for a new contract as well... So for a small-market team not in the championship run, they can't keep both Jefferson and Millsap...

That's where the Cavs need to step in and take advantage of this... The Jazz are in a position where they risk losing one of these players for nothing next off-season... The Cavs are also in a position where they need a low-post scorer to add to their core... And unless they get a top-5 pick, I'm having a hard time seeing where they're going to get that in the future... What is so great about the situation with the Jazz is that Jefferson and Millsap are both proven scorers who are entering their prime.... Meaning they still have plenty of time left and will likely accelerate the process of our development...

I've gone back and forth on who I'd prefer the Cavs to go after... I have to think that Jefferson will be easier to get from the Jazz since I think he'll likely command more money from the Jazz whereas Millsap would command less and might actually be the player who fits in better and would be a better value for the Jazz going forward... But I do think both of them will be available... Both of them have their strengths and weaknesses as a player and as a fit for this team going forward... Jefferson would slide in nicely to give this team a legit post threat and has experience shouldering the load... He and Thompson would compliment each other well in the frontcourt... Millsap on the other hand would force Thompson to the bench, which I'm not sure Grant would be high on doing with Thompson just in his 2nd year... But he provides a more versatile threat for the Cavs as opposed to Jefferson... On defense, Jefferson is a good rebounder and decent shot-blocker but I worry a bit about interior defense with Irving and Waiters as perimeter defenders... Meanwhile, I think Millsap is the better defender but doesn't have the size and length like Jefferson... Jefferson isn't a typical center but he has the size and length to be an effective new-wave center...

So my point of this is: the Cavs NEED to strike while the iron is hot... I'm not sure what type of deal it would take to pull this off with many different factors (Utah being in the playoff race but I'm sure they're cognizant of the fact they will lose one for nothing) but it's something that needs to be done in my eyes... Like I said, neither is a perfect player but the opportunity to get a good, young, offensive big to fit into your core for years at a good price doesn't come along often...

• Like Like x 24
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

Here's the issue with adding Jefferson (or any big FA/FA-to-be), from Terry Pluto:

"Here's another negative about the new labor agreement. There is a thing called the "designated player." That allows you to offer him a five-year, $80 million deal. That's one player per team. All other players can only have a four-year extension. When the Thunder signed Westbrook to the five-year deal, he became the designated player. That meant Harden could only be offered four years by Oklahoma City. But he could receive the Houston offer -- the Rockets didn't have a designated player. Now, the Cavs have a young star in 2012 Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving. He is paid $5.4 million this season, then $5.6 million in 2013-14 and $7.1 million in 2014-15. Rules prevent the Cavs from offering Irving an extension until he's played at least three seasons ... or in the summer of 2014. You can be sure Irving will be the designated player and offered the five-year, $80 million maximum contract as soon as possible."

If the Cavaliers give someone else a five year max deal, they won't be able to offer it to Irving.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

Let me clarify.

Um, no.

Our future is not fucking Al Jefferson and to say such is treason.

• Like Like x 14
  4. 3 Ball...GOT IT

3 Ball...GOT IT Season Ticket Holder

I wouldn't mind having them obviously, but what would we give up to get them? They don't need Varejao, who is our main trading piece. I doubt Grant would give up many of the picks he's put together and reduce the huge cap room he's earned. I just think the front office has no plan on making any big trades for another key player (although I wouldn't be surprised if we went after some more draft picks) at the deadline this year or anytime during this season.

5. Mdog1

Mdog1 NBA Starter

Millsap maybe, Jefferson F()CK NO.

Edit: And if we really wanted Jefferson we could have drafted him in '04.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. Lee

Lee Established Since 2005

Jefferson is a good offensive player, has range to his jumper, still relatively young and fits nicely next to TT or Andy. He is overpaid, but almost all big men who can score are. I know he stinks defensively, but if the price is right, this is the type of player that is ripe for picking up. He is 4 times as good as when we got Jamison, shoots near 50%, (i know only ok for a big man) a decent rebounder, I just dont see why you guys dont like the idea.

• Like Like x 5
  7. jlegg21

jlegg21 Sixth Man

I wouldnt be upset with Millsap, but I guess it's all about what he would cost either in a trade or to sign him. He's not a guy I'd bomb my salary cap for, that much is certain.

8. Marcus

Marcus Let's go Cabs!

Jefferson's injury history scares the shit out of me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. B Mac

B Mac Tonight's the night.

Smooth Im normally right on the same page as you, but I've said this every time an Al Jefferson thread pops up...

The Cavs already declined trading for Jefferson during Byron's first year because Scott said he doesnt fit his system. They could have got him relatively cheaply and decided against it so Jefferson was traded to Utah. Now, maybe the team makeup has changed and he might fit a bit better, but Im still not seeing it as Scott's system hasnt changed much at all.

Millsap would be a great complimentary piece, but I would hate to count on him to be the every day third piece. Ideally he is more of your fourth option or first guy off the bench.

10. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

Stop. Talking, About. All. Jefferson.

Christ on a stick.

11. mofire

mofire Situational Stopper

I just don't want to give up any assets for Big Al or Millsap. I say hold on to everything until the right deal presents itself.

12. B Mac

B Mac Tonight's the night.

Maybe they will take CJ back???

• Like Like x 1
  13. howler1313

howler1313 NBA Starter

Jefferson is exactly the wrong type of big for the Cavs style of play. From what we've seen so far this year, Scott wants constant penetration from Waiters and Irving via a steady diet of high pick and rolls as well as getting out in transition as much as possible. A pick and roll big who can step out and hit the jumper as well as roll hard to the rim seems to be what we're looking for on offense, and ideally he'd be a great shot blocker on defense as we currently have none to speak of. If we got Jefferson he'd slow down our offense, crowd the paint, and he's not a good enough shotblocker to majorly help us on D.

• Like Like x 3
  14. wizman23

wizman23 Towel Waver

It wont matter who plays down low when LBJ is back here in a few years

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thunder

Thunder Redemption

Big Al coming here would probably make us a top 4 seed but never an elite team...we're better off drafting a stud big in the 2013 draft and keep building this team a la OKC...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fuggles

Fuggles Banned

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5xsVHOJQs&t=1m26s[/video]

17. Gimme Some Mo

Gimme Some Mo All-Star

Didn't expect this from Smooth. Rumor mill forum....

18. Homestar

Homestar Situational Stopper

On paper Jefferson sure seems like a good fit...

I admit I don't watch the guy. Is he comparable to Jamison? Volume offense and no defense?

19. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

If the Cavs want to be a contender they will need to either sign or trade for an all star at some point. Idk if Al & Millsap are the answer. There are certainly better pieces out there.

Kyrie
    Waiters
    Gee
    Millsap
    Jefferson

That team would be good but I have a hard time believing they would contend for a championship.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't pull the trigger on this deal unless you've already tried to get some other players and don't believe you could sign them via free agency. Such as Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pinoycavsfan

pinoycavsfan Situational Stopper

jefferson is good, but im more in favor of having favors, dont know how cavs could get him though.