• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

DTV Sunday Ticket negotiations. Another year of Moohead halftime/postgame shows

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

moohead

Sixth Man
Reaction score
Wow. As the Indians blaze the trail of soccer scores and mediocrity, another football season is upon us. As I do every year, I will start with my Direc TV NFL Ticket negotiations, which were tougher this year.

I have not paid for the ticket in 2 years. This year was clouded by a move in service (from Vermont to South Carolina) as well as the need to purchase one NFL ticket for South Carolina and one for Florida (we go back to Florida around mid November this year). So what I was asking for was 2 Sunday Ticket Max packages at no charge.

It took 2 hours on the phone with retention department. It seems that the new math at DirecTV is the almighty one time credit, and future credits on your account. Gone are the days of PRESTO...we'll just give it to you. (unless you're a new customer). In order to score 2 Max packages, the rep had to discount various HD/movie channels over the course of the next 4 months. She discounted a monthly protection plan. Eliminated a 4 pack HD package I never ordered that they sneaked onto my new SC service. But mainly, she did the following math:

The full price Ticket Max is 6 payments of $54.99. No one should EVER pay that. She dropped it to 6 payments of $40.99 right off the bat. Then she went hunting for the $240 of credits she could weigh against the remaining cost of the Ticket. She did this for both Florida and South Carolina. It took a long time.

Any movie channels you have, your length of tenure with DTV, available equipment upgrades, all figure into this. By upgrading in SC to a genie system, I eliminated 3 receivers from my old Vermont account, and made them more willing to deal. I went with the genie in April, before the house renovation was completed. They even shipped me 2 additional genie minis for free during this negotiation.

I ended up getting both Tickets at no charge NET. They put a $40 one time credit on the first 3 payments, and then the remaining $120 over a 3 month period. Crazy math, but it worked out. Just remember: Only Retention department can do this. Ask to make sure you are talking to retention NOT a tech or Supervisor.

I will return for year 12 of Browns halftime and Postgame shows at the Moohead Radio site (google it). I am told that my drunken female co-host will join me. She gets loaded on Sundays so it might be weird. She has also guaranteed to do a show topless if JFF throws for more than 400 yards in a game. She HATES Manziell. I'm kinda rooting for him to get the 400 yards...

Hope to see you this season. I'll do a week 3 dress rehearsal show. As for now, it's lay back and watch MNF tonight. Thanks for your patience.

Moo

I have the sudden urge to tell the story of how I talked a guy down on a couple of CDs at a garage sale when I was in high school.

Today I bought a 20 piece from Mcdonalds. I got them to throw in 2 bbq and 1 hot mustard FREE OF CHARGE.

Updates to follow.

I do it every year too. I try to get a hot sounding girl on the line and flirt a bit. The one I spoke with the other day is a Steeler fan, so we had some good hearted banter. She obviously took pity on me...haha.

Told her I live in Chicago, and only watch the Browns. Only get to see about 6 games on the Ticket, as I travel on Sunday's for the holidays and other things (truth be told I record all the games, because I'm rarely around on a Sunday at Noon). She said she could drop it down to $190 (from $240). I waffled and said it wasn't worth it. She put me on hold for a minute and came back to say she got me a $20 credit on my account. She also said she would give me that special thing at no charge where you can watch games on the iPad or something (could care less). So, $170 for the season. I took it.

I receive a ton of questions about this every year, and promised viewers I would see what DTV was negotiating for the current season and share my results. I've done this for the last 5 years as a fun service. Many folks cannot afford to pay upwards of $330 for the season. Some don't know that there is a "retention" department. Others don't realize that being a customer for years qualifies them for discounts.

Others (obviously) are not about helping others. Enjoy your season!

Moo

Just saw this thread. I always call and talk to the retention department. They gave me the Ticket Max for free and gave me a $15 credit to my account for 12 months. I'll do the same next year like every year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."