1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Dwight Howard Saga

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by bigfoot5415, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

Im not to worried about what Dwight Howard does in free agency, because I cant see it having too much effect on us. If he leaves, Orlando becomes a hell hole and NJ eats up a lot of cap space on two players. If he stays, they're a slightly more competitive hell hole filled with a lot of mediocre players (only because they have a lot of bad contracts locked up long term). However, I saw this article and it pretty much sums up the financial hit DH12 would take if he leaves and it also shows some of the new rules such as the "Carmelo Rule" take effect. Anyone who is interested in seeing some of the new rules from the CBA or is interested in the DH12 situation, give this article a read.

I doubt he walks away from that much. Otis might as well call his bluff, and let him suffer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Toph

Toph Not sent from Tapatalk

No way in hell he actually comes here. But who says we can't dream?

3. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

Dwight Howard is not coming here no matter who we have on our team. He's thing about big market so be can get more endorsement deals.

4. Real Deal

Real Deal NBA Starter

Well, what endorsement deals didn't LeBron actually get here? Dude had a f'n billboard. D-12 just wants a partner with stardom.

5. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

Ok the end of the post wasnt meant to be taken seriously. The post was more about the article than anything. Hell ill delete that part of the post to avoid derailing the thread.

6. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

Dallas, New Jersey, Los Angeles or Cleveland? He's not coming here.

7. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

Looks serious to me.

8. Real Deal

Real Deal NBA Starter

Why even buy into a sports team in this city then? If nobody will come here through FA and players leave for FA, why even bother ya know?

Hell, Ray Allen and Michael Redd didn't want to come here when we had LeBron.

Everybody has to start somewhere. Who exactly was Chicago before Michael?

9. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

We've been over this already. Free agents have never came here. The best thing to do is draft our superstars and do everything we can to keep THEM here. If Kobe's a free agent he's not coming to the Cavs when he can go ANYWHERE else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spencer Hawes

Spencer Hawes Blue

I wanna see Orlando call this bitch's bluff and start setting a precedence. The worse case is they'll be screwed for a couple years and their reward is high draft picks? What's not to like?

• Like Like x 5
  11. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

That extra year doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things because it is not like he won't get it on the next contract.

If anything, He would rather hit the free agent market again at 31 than 32 as he would probably be able to get another max deal anyway.

It says the difference in the first 4 years is only $5 million, which is not enough to keep these guys from walking away.

They needed to give home teams a real advantage when negotiating, not just that one year. It should have been like 3 extra years, making it too good to pass up. 1 year they will get anyway just isn't enough to deter these guys when the difference between staying and leaving is only a few million bucks a year.

• Like Like x 2
  12. caf

caf Banņed

What exactly was basketball before Michael? It sure as hell wasn't large endorsement deals. Michael opened up the new income for NBA players... endorsements.

Now that endorsements are a large part of a players yearly income, the location becomes very important. Before endorsements? Who really cares if you are in a big or small market. Yearly income wasn't that vastly different.

13. Dr. Gymbo

Dr. Gymbo Resident Microbiologist

Agreed. SOME team is going to ultimately have to make a stand to send a message to this bitch ass players. I doubly hope it's Orlando because I'd be lying if I didn't say I hope that team suffers as much if not more than Cleveland because of the playoff loss a few seasons ago.

14. ChicagoCavFan

ChicagoCavFan Moderator

I believe we have a solid pitch if Dwight is willing to listen.

First, Dwight is an outgoing personality. He would certainly love to play in a major market, but we have something going for us that other smaller markets do not: a proven, hungry fan base. Dwight saw this during their games against us in the playoffs. He saw what happened to our city with LBJ left. He knows he could be that person to lift us back up again (outside of Kyrie, which brings me to my second point...)

Second, we have Kyrie Irving. Dwight played some of his best ball when Jameer Nelson could actually play. When he was balling, I see similarities to what Kyrie brings. However, Kyrie is on a much higher level, and has already established himself as a winner. It would take a bit of a sales pitch to convince him, but there is something there.

Hurting this is the fact that Dwight wants to win a championship, and he will likely choose the path of least resistance (at least in his mind and what his agents/advisers are telling him). In the end, I believe we have an intriguing pitch, and will be something that Dwight should at least consider....maybe....get it done Grant.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mdog1

Mdog1 NBA Starter

I really hope Dwight gets a career ending injury, unless he comes to Cleveland of course. Since there is less than a 1% chance of him coming to Cleveland I hope he gets a career ending injury. I'm sick and tired of the inmates having the control, and it would only be fitting if he lost a leg.

16. Dr. Gymbo

Dr. Gymbo Resident Microbiologist

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to say you hate that "the inmates have control" and that you wished he'd suffer a career-ending injury UNLESS he came to your favorite team? Let's be serious here, I doubt a lot of people in Cleveland would be upset if LBJ stayed and Howard was flirting with Cleveland like he has been with New Jersey and Los Angeles.

Take a stance and stick with it one way or the other.

17. Mdog1

Mdog1 NBA Starter

I am perfectly fine with being hypocritical if it means my favourite team has a better chance at a championship. Quite frankly F every other team, I would take a championship if the other 29 teams planes all crashed some time and the Cavs starters played the Cavs bench in the finals and we won I would still celebrate.

18. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

That's going a little too far but I get your point and agree with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Powerslave

Powerslave Rise.

I don't get the LA/Jersey Shore/Dallas thing. LA and Dallas are old and falling off and the Nets need a lot more than D.Will to attract free agents. Just don't understand why this bitch doesn't go to Chicago, as long as they don't give up too much him and D.Rose is a dynasty for at least 5 prime years.

Ah who gives a fuck, let this mentally weak attention whore whittle his career away in some "bright lights" while falling awfully short of expectations.

20. chrisrich91

chrisrich91 Rising Back Up

I've been saying this for a while...completely agree. Besides our young talent and awesome coach, add into the equation a top 10 pick this year and we'd be pretty appealing to anyone really looking to sign with a team with a bright future. Unfortunately that's not where Dwight's head is, and that sucks.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012