1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen: Olympic Basketball Team Members Should Get Paid

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by sgm405, Apr 11, 2012.

1. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

First Ray Allen yesterday:

“You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys,” Allen said. “It’s not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It’s fun, but your body does need a break.

“Everybody says, ‘Play for your country.’ But (NBA players are) commodities, your businesses. You think about it, you do camps in the summer, you have various opportunities to make money. When you go overseas and play basketball, you lose those opportunities, what you may make… If I’m an accountant and I get outsourced by my firm, I’m going to make some money somewhere else.”

Now Dwyane Wade today:

“It’s a lot of things you do for the Olympics — a lot of jerseys you sell,” Wade said after the Heat’s practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday’s game against Chicago. “We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it’s not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it….

“The biggest thing is now you get no rest,” Wade said. “So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You’re giving up a lot to do it. It’s something you want to do. But it’s taxing on your body. You’re not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated.”

:doh:

Want to make money? Decline the invitation to join the team and let someone who wants to be there play. Nobody is forcing you to play for Team USA. Can these guys get any more out of touch?

2. Mdog1

Mdog1 NBA Starter

I agree with Wade about NCAA players being played, but not for the Olympics. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you play for your country, where as when it comes to the NCAA it is practically your only choice if you want to get picked high in the NBA.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CardiacCavs

CardiacCavs A Dream of Spring

Ya because being recognized as one of the best 15 basketball players in the entire country isn't enough? I understand that these players generate a lot of money by their performances, but it just bothers me to see them bitch and moan about not getting paid. Like others have said, It's voluntary. If you don't want to do it, then you don't have to. Others will eagerly take their place. It just makes them sound spoiled.

• Like Like x 5
  4. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

Isn't it also a choice to attend college and play sports though? Every time I hear the argument that student-athletes should get paid more than the travel/food stipends they already receive, I think about the student loans I'm still paying off.

• Like Like x 8
  5. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

While the players generate sales, it also helps them build their own "brand" with the huge international exposure.

• Like Like x 3
  6. ButterMPancakes

ButterMPancakes

Surprised to hear this from Ray Allen, especially after what he said during the lockout

• Like Like x 10
  7. MDLT

MDLT NBA Starter

Forget recognition for a moment (though that's a good point), how about simply the opportunity to represent your country? Ya know, the one that lays the foundation for you to make $200 million dollars for playing a game.

• Like Like x 10
  8. YuenglingGator

YuenglingGator I have no idea

Please Dwyane, just stop talking. Seriously. Since when was pride in your country, honor/respect for the game, and competing for medals not enough? It is AN HONOR to participate in the Olympics, not a paycheck, for crying out loud you are worth MILLIONS on MILLIONS can't you play just for the love of the game and the country that enables you to be so wealthy for putting a ball in a basket? I would rather the US not get a medal then pay NBA players to play in The Games.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mhi

mhi Situational Stopper

Ray Allen isn't gonna be on the team so his opinion is mute. These guys are just mad the owners stuck it to them on the new CBA.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walter White

Walter White All-Star

Albuquerque. My house is the one with the pizza on
    If they want to pay guys to play summer basketball, then people that fight for our country should get paid more than they do.

11. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

These fuqqers get paid way too much as is. And they want more?! Wilt Chamberlain is rolling over in his grave (RIP)

12. Numbers Guy

Numbers Guy 1234567890

This is the same guy that during the lockout believed he was worth 50 million per year. What do you expect?

13. MDLT

MDLT NBA Starter

Wade really is proving himself to be a grade A moron over the past couple years. I'm starting to wonder if he ever had some negative influence on James over the past few years, as someone whom I'm sure James looked/looks up to.

14. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

Allen doesn't say they should get paid from the olympics for playing, he said they should get paid royalties from Nike for the jerseys that are sold with their names on the back. Unless they are running for office, famous people legally have an automatic right to publicity over the use of their own names. Somehow college and olympic athletes are required to forfeit those rights as a price of participating. As far as I know, they never gain those specific rights back. 20 years later you can still buy Michael Jordan olympic basketball jerseys. If you think Jordan was okay with it, why did he decide to cover the addias logo while he was on the stand to receive his gold medal.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. RchfldCavRaised

RchfldCavRaised Season of Dreams

Totally agree.

And I also agree on college players. People here at MTSU who are on academic and sport club scholarships can make money doing what they do best off school grounds, while also competing for the school. However athletes cant. This has been beaten to death.

Olympians should be able to get royalties from anything with their likeness on it that is sold.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cavsfan1985

cavsfan1985 ^ kind of a big deal!

Let's get their boy Obama, to help them pay there fair share. Maybe a tax on people who play sports, then maybe we can pay them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. warddj86

warddj86 Let's try to double wins

Wow. If I had the athleticism and skill to play in the Olympics for MY country: of course I would do it for free! People watch the Olympics because it is a chance for the best of the best of America's (and other countries') athletes to lay it all out on the line and to just have some fun with it. Dwyane Wade is such a ignorant prick sometimes. He used to be someone I looked up to, now after "The Decision", the "Loyalty Tweet", and this, he just seems like an overpaid, pompous ass to me.

18. CHEECHREBORN

CHEECHREBORN Big Sexy

I'm pretty sure that he did that because he is a Nike athlete and didn't want to give Adidas any business. Nike probably told him to do that. Check out LeBron's warm up jersey (Adidas is the official supplier of the NBA)

[​IMG]

I doubt that was accidental.

Notice the careful placement of Dwight Howard's shoes for the Olympic photo (Dwight is an Adidas athlete and Nike was the sponsor of those olympic jerseys)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

I think that's what I said, he did it because Nike paid him to wear the shoes and Adidas didn't pay him to wear the jersey. Isn't that the the same issue here. Nike is selling apparel with all of these players names and numbers on them without paying anything to the players for doing so. It doesn't matter that some of these players are being paid by Nike for other reasons, they're still profiting for selling their names without compensating them. That's actually illegal under the right of publicity laws unless a person is running for office.

SOmehow the IOC and NCAA have established rules that violate federal copyright law. The NCAA makes millions off of these rule. The sponsors of the Olympics also make millions because of these rules. These profits go far beyond the money made hosting the games. As far as I can tell, they are still selling Michael Jordan Adidas olympic basketball jerseys, he still doesn't get anything for it.

• Like Like x 4
  20. CHEECHREBORN

CHEECHREBORN Big Sexy

My bad, I misinterpreted your first post a little bit. Long day.. I can see both sides of the issue and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure which side that I agree with. I'm sure that its pretty obvious that Nike (or whoever is sponsoring the Olympic athletes) is making a butt ton of money off of these basketball players, and those players aren't crazy for wanting to see some of that money (if someone was making a bunch of money off of me; I'd want a cut of it and you probably would too). However, in the Olympics, Team USA isn't just the men's basketball team. Team USA consists of ALL of the olympians competing for the red, white, and blue. You'd better believe that the young gymnasts who aspire to one day be Olympic gymnasts will want to wear Nike gear just like their idol. How do you decide who should get compensated and who shouldn't? I've read arguments that some of the money brought in through sales of olympic merchandise should be pumped into some of the lesser funded olympic sports because in theory, that could raise the playing field and help get better athletes into those fields. Getting better athletes into those fields will increase the odds of us winning medals in those fields which is good for the country, and in my opinion, boosting the morale of the country (which can be done by winning medals) is a better option than paying a select subset of the olympic athletes