• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Ebola...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I believe it is one of the old Soviet block countries.

I would NOT trade Andrew Wiggins for it!! :mad:

Horrible way to go, my hat is off to those doctors and nurses who volunteered to go over there to help with the epidemic. It sounds like the nurse is far gone and she knows it. U.S. flew the husband out to be with her, which was classy.

The doctor deserves the kind of care an American hospital can provide. I'm sure he is in a medically induced coma, so he no longer will have a say in his future. He was responsible for immediately quarantine himself. I am not crazy about all the people lobbying for this guy to be rejected by the U.S. for readmittance. He tried to fight the super viruses developing in third world countries, and that makes our lives and our children's lives safer.

Horrible way to go, my hat is off to those doctors and nurses who volunteered to go over there to help with the epidemic. It sounds like the nurse is far gone and she knows it. U.S. flew the husband out to be with her, which was classy.

The doctor deserves the kind of care an American hospital can provide. I'm sure he is in a medically induced coma, so he no longer will have a say in his future. He was responsible for immediately quarantine himself. I am not crazy about all the people lobbying for this guy to be rejected by the U.S. for readmittance. He tried to fight the super viruses developing in third world countries, and that makes our lives and our children's lives safer.

I thought his condition was improving... what happened?

Well, people are saying this won't hit the U.S.

The folks who want these people turned away are absolute morons. They have no idea what they are talking about- to insinuate that a top US hospital is unable to enact a quarantine on someone with a droplet precaution is insulting. Like some dipshit on Twitter trying to tell Shaq how to shoot free throws. Or giving a Navy SEAL workout tips. I think the hospital staff in a unit specifically designed to handle contagious disease just might have a fucking clue how to properly quarantine this person- it is kind of their job. Not to mention that the people likely to get infected if they don't is them. The resources at their disposal are far better than what these courageous folks had to work with over in Africa. Hopefully something can be done for them and maybe this will get more funding to combat a disease that needs more study.

I was reading this from a great site i use at work http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/ten-things-you-really-should-know-about-ebola
thought it was really interesting how theoretically containable it is. I think the main reason the infected will be readmitted to the US is not because its the american thing to do but because research institutes will want to take a good long look at the infected. Trying to predict and prevent cytokine storm is the key to making ebola less life threatening.

Ebola will always be a disease with poor funding i would think it would be limited to government only. Diseases that affect rich white people get funding, ebola is about as far removed from them as possible

I'm just glad i dont watch fox news or i might think its the end of civilisation or something.

On my way up to Blue Ridge, I drove by Dobbins Air Force Base in Georgia on the day the plane was due to land.

The folks who want these people turned away are absolute morons. They have no idea what they are talking about- to insinuate that a top US hospital is unable to enact a quarantine on someone with a droplet precaution is insulting.

Agreed. I was at Emory (where Ebola dude is being treated) last year, being treated for complications due to bacterial meningitis which I contracted a month earlier in Ukraine. Had to have two surgeries done there. They were extremely careful about quarantining the surgical area. Their infectious disease clinic is more than capable of handling it. … Just don't drive through Atlanta for the next week or two. :p

On my way up to Blue Ridge, I drove by Dobbins Air Force Base in Georgia on the day the plane was due to land.

Agreed. I was at Emory (where Ebola dude is being treated) last year, being treated for complications due to bacterial meningitis which I contracted a month earlier in Ukraine. Had to have two surgeries done there. They were extremely careful about quarantining the surgical area. Their infectious disease clinic is more than capable of handling it. … Just don't drive through Atlanta for the next week or two. :p
Isnt Atlanta and Georgia what they show in The Walking Dead?

Holy cow! It's happening !!!!

Secret serum likely saved Ebola patients
By Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Danielle Dellorto, CNN
updated 12:55 PM EDT, Mon August 4, 2014

(CNN) -- Three top secret, experimental vials stored at subzero temperatures were flown into Liberia last week in a last-ditch effort to save two American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola, according to a source familiar with details of the treatment.

On July 22, Dr. Kent Brantly woke up feeling feverish. Fearing the worst, Brantly immediately isolated himself. Nancy Writebol's symptoms started three days later. A rapid field blood test confirmed the infection in both of them after they had become ill with fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

It's believed both Brantly and Writebol, who worked with the aid organization Samaritan's Purse, contracted Ebola from another health care worker at their hospital in Liberia, although the official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention case investigation has yet to be released.

A representative from the National Institutes of Health contacted Samaritan's Purse in Liberia and offered the experimental treatment, known as ZMapp, for the two patients, according to the source.

The drug was developed by the biotech firm Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. The patients were told that this treatment had never been tried before in a human being but had shown promise in small experiments with monkeys.

According to company documents, four monkeys infected with Ebola survived after being given the therapy within 24 hours after infection. Two of four additional monkeys that started therapy within 48 hours after infection also survived. One monkey that was not treated died within five days of exposure to the virus.

Brantly and Writebol were aware of the risk of taking a new, little understood treatment; informed consent was obtained from both Americans, according to two sources familiar with the care of the missionary workers. In the monkeys, the experimental serum had been given within 48 hours of infection. Brantly didn't receive it until he'd been sick for nine days.

The medicine is a three-mouse monoclonal antibody, meaning that mice were exposed to fragments of the Ebola virus and then the antibodies generated within the mice's blood were harvested to create the medicine. It works by preventing the virus from entering and infecting new cells.

The Ebola virus causes viral hemorrhagic fever, which refers to a group of viruses that affect multiple organ systems in the body and are often accompanied by bleeding.

Early symptoms include sudden onset of fever, weakness, muscle pain, headaches and a sore throat. They later progress to vomiting, diarrhea, impaired kidney and liver function -- and sometimes internal and external bleeding.
The ZMapp vials reached the hospital in Liberia where Brantly and Writebol were being treated Thursday morning. Doctors were instructed to allow the vials to thaw naturally without any additional heat. It was expected that it would be eight to 10 hours before the medicine could be given, according to a source familiar with the process.
Brantly asked that Writebol be given the first dose because he was younger and he thought he had a better chance of fighting it, and she agreed. However, as the first vial was still thawing, Brantly's condition took a sudden turn for the worse.

Brantly began to deteriorate and developed labored breathing. He told his doctors he thought he was dying, according to a source with firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Knowing his dose was still frozen, Brantly asked if he could have Writebol's now-thawed medication. It was brought to his room and administered through an IV. Within an hour of receiving the medication, Brantly's condition dramatically improved. He began breathing easier; the rash over his trunk faded away. One of his doctors described the events as "miraculous."

By the next morning, Brantly was able to take a shower on his own before getting on a specially designed Gulfstream air ambulance jet to be evacuated to the United States.

Writebol also received a vial of the medication. Her response was not as remarkable, according to sources familiar with the treatment. However, doctors on Sunday administered Writebol a second dose of the medication, which resulted in significant improvement.

She was stable enough to be evacuated back to the United States and is expected to arrive before noon Tuesday.
ZMapp has not been approved for human use, and has not even gone through the clinical trial process, which is standard to prove the safety and efficacy of a medication. The process by which the medication was made available to Brantly and Writebol is highly unusual. It may have fallen under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's "compassionate use" regulation, which allows access to investigational drugs outside clinical trials.

Getting approval for compassionate use is often long and laborious, but in the case of Brantly and Writebol, they received the medication within seven to 10 days of their exposure to the Ebola virus.

On July 30, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, an arm of the military responsible for any chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and high-yield explosive threats, allotted additional funding to MAPP Biopharmaceutical due to "promising results."

Saw this and thought it was apt sharing incase anyone knows someone worried apologies for the swearing

ylyhgptplckkfbf8qlf4.jpg

Well, people are saying this won't hit the U.S.

Our southern border has been basically opened. Over 70 people from the countries hit by ebola have turned themselves in at the border over that last few months. There's obviously many more that have made it in to the U.S. without our knowledge. I'm not saying ebola is in the U.S. But if the outbreak in those countries accelerates i would imagine more people will try coming here and we could potentially hear of ebola at the detention centers. I don't see us having an issue containing it here though.

I also didn't start the topic because i'm worried about it coming here. I'm worried because it's spreading and some of the world's best doctors are now getting it...it's not contained. This could be catastrophic for these nations that have no medical infrastructure.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."