1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports fans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NorthCoastBias, May 3, 2013.

1. NorthCoastBias

NorthCoastBias All-Star

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It was only a matter of time. ESPN series 30 for 30 dedicating episode to Cleveland sports. Callers to Rizzo show today may be part of it.</p>&mdash; Tom Reed (@treed1919) <a href="https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/330305956011458560">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Akron native Kris Belman, who did the LBJ documentary More Than a Game, will direct 30 for 30 on Cleveland sports fan.</p>&mdash; Tom Reed (@treed1919) <a href="https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/330326870493106176">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The 30 for 30 on Cleveland will air in 2014. They usually start unveiling new batch after football seaon ends.</p>&mdash; Tom Reed (@treed1919) <a href="https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/330327532517879810">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Next year marks 50 years without a championship in Cleveland.</p>&mdash; Tom Reed (@treed1919) <a href="https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/330328786140798978">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

• Like Like x 6
  2. MoneyMP3

MoneyMP3 Long Live The Idols

Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

This should end well.

• Like Like x 8
  3. theshowstoppah

theshowstoppah on a rampage

... Until the Indians or Browns win it all this year and make it totally useless :chuckles:

4. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

^^ or the cavs, since it will air after basketball season

5. MoFlo

MoFlo Administrator Staff Member

:doh:

They couldn't find anyone from, oh I don't know, Cleveland, to direct a documentary on Cleveland...?

To be fair, I might be overreacting here. Anyone know this guy and/or if he has a good feel for something like this?

6. NorthCoastBias

NorthCoastBias All-Star

He was on with Rizzo today and he was born and raised a Cleveland fan. Akron native, went to Walsh and now lives in L.A. He really emphasized wanting to film a documentary highlighting a group of passionate and loyal fans and knew that they'd be the perfect subjects from having grown up in the area and meeting Cleveland fans in L.A.

I will say the one thing I really didn't like in the interview was that he plans on contacting LeBron to interview him for the film. While it's understandable that The Decision is one of many events engrained in the pain of Cleveland fans, I don't think it's at all necessary to interview the guy. He's not an athlete currently playing in Cleveland and he felt the need to blatantly distance himself from the city by saying he hated Cleveland while growing up. He also doesn't "get" growing up a fan of area teams since he freely jumped on the bandwagons of the Yankees, Cowboys and Bulls as a kid. Hopefully he declines any sort of interview for the documentary.

Also, I guess the title is a bit misleading. It's actually about Cleveland sports fans and not Cleveland sports. If a mod could add that, I'd appreciate it.

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  7. SuperSurge

SuperSurge Slice & Dice Staff Member

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA... I thought that was impossible?

• Like Like x 3
  8. The Hill

The Hill Sixth Man

I used to work with Kris around 2001-2002. We were both servers at the Don Pablo's in Fairlawn. I don't know him any better than one does most of their coworkers, but I remember him being a genuinely funny dude and an easy guy to get along with. I really don't have much more to offer than that -- we played some Tecmo Bowl together a few times. That was cool.

I liked his SVSM doc and thought it was well-made. The easy move would have been to make it all about LeBron, but the fact that it was about the team made it much more interesting. I remember hearing Kris tell a story on a podcast (can't remember if it was Adam Carolla or Bill Simmons -- one of those) about him making the documentary. LeBron wasn't a part of it for much of the filming, but Kris knew he had to get him on board for the film to be legitimate. I think it was Romeo who convinced LeBron to watch Kris's trailer for the movie. Once LeBron saw the trailer and how the film was about the SVSM team (and not just a LeBron doc) he was fully on board, appearing in the doc and also helping to promote it.

I haven't seen anything else Kris has done since the documentary, but it should make for an interesting view when it comes to LeBron. I can't imagine he is going to kill LeBron in it, but I don't think he can justify The Decision in a documentary about Cleveland sports.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

I'd be willing to bet the majority of Cleveland fans weren't born in Cleveland.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

Thanks for the summary.

Whether we like it or not, LeBron is part of our history.

11. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

There should not be a LeBron interview in this. Unless he's apologizing.

Regardless, looking forward to this.

12. Urban

Urban September 14

Hmmm

This will either help us gain respect from other fans (unlikely) or make our fans, city, and teams look bad.

Eh, what's the worst that could happen? Looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be some fans that will just make me cringe though.

13. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

The special isn't going to air until the fall of 2014

• Like Like x 1
  14. dano_24_26

dano_24_26 Sixth Man

If it's done right we should be alright. I think most people that will tune in for a documentary about Cleveland sports fans will already have some respect for us. If this was on national T.V. I think people would look down on us.

15. NorthCoastBias

NorthCoastBias All-Star

And at point, LeBron James will still be a former Cleveland athlete.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Voice

The Voice Best in the World

Rizzo was telling a story about Kris. Kris is always wearing his jersey/shirts of Cleveland sports teams. Apparently his co-workers/friends just started wearing Clipper's stuff and he was like "you guys are clipper fans"?

I think a lot of it is about how no matter how bad the Browns, Tribe or Cavs are we always seem to care about the team more so then any other cities - or so it seems.

17. Urban

Urban September 14

It's not going to be on National TV?

18. Stark

Stark Keeping the Faith

I honestly will probably not even watch this.

Between The Drive, The Hit, The Fumble, The Shot, The Decision, LeBron, Art, and the inability for us to win championships... I just can't see this being something enjoyable for us to watch.

19. Bill Walton.

Bill Walton. Luke, I am your Father

I'm happy to see our luck will be documented on television. I was born to live in this town.

I'm sorry