1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Expectations for 2012-2013?

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Rob, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

Man we are lucky Kyrie got hurt, because if not we'd be praying for Jeremy Lamb instead of Beal/MKG.

This team could be pretty damn good next year if we stay healthy.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Homestar

Homestar Situational Stopper

Re: Let's ride.......... RCF !!!

I don't think so, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Jamison, for all his flaws, is still one of 2 players on the roster that can create. Even if Nick Gilbert strikes again and we get Davis...I feel like we will regress offensively.

I think the plan is to suck again one more season...and then go for the gold. Yes, in theory, Varejao will play more than 25 games, and Irving won't have as many nagging injuries...but in a tank season, the front office is much more "cautious" and allows guys time to heal up to 110%. Do you really think Varejao would have been out this whole time if we were gunning for a title? Hell no.

I expect, and hope for one more development season. Then you have Irving, Thompson, this year's 1st and next year's high first as the core. Then, let Gilbert open the pocketbook and bring in some high caliber players. There are a lot of big time centers available in the 2012-13 offseason, so let's get the swingmen now!

3. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

We were borderline playoffs this year when healthy. We will not be worse next year lol, not even close. Not sure where that expectation is coming from. Just the OKC model wanna-be-ers.

4. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

Cavs are going to lose a lot of points (assuming Jamison is gone), the team is going to be very young and not very deep (no matter who gets drafted). It's not an "OKC model" perspective. It's just a reflection of how some of this years Cavs (Jamison, Parker, Sessions) all might be gone. And who knows about Gibson and Varejao?

The Cavs may compete for a playoff spot but that may be more about how the East sucks than about how good the Cavs are. They have a lot of holes to fill and they will be really inexperienced. There's no telling whether the Cavs will have a substantially better record next year, although I hope they do.

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. Rich

Rich Hall-of-Famer

Yea if we manage to luck into Davis, I really don't see us sucking next year assuming everyone stays healthy. Irving, Davis, and Varejao is better than what Philly puts out there I'm thinking.

6. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

Wait..Jamison being gone is a negative now?

Lol, I'm done,

• Like Like x 6
  7. metalman213

metalman213 In the Rotation

The Cavs will be better next season, assuming few injuries. I think if the Cavs draft a scoring wing (beal, lamb, even barnes), our backcourt will be extremely improved. Switch the low scoring anthony parker, who isn't good at defense really either, with even 15-18 ppg and good defense... I think that will more than make up for the shitty defense of Jamison and his chucking offense. I hear people say Jamison creates shots.. I don't really think that's true. I think he takes every shot, without regard to the shot clock, no matter how bad the shot is.

Then throw in huge improvements from Kyrie and Tristan and another first rounder... don't see how we couldn't improve. Im thinking late lottery or playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Green Demon

Green Demon Situational Stopper

Jamison may be a player that we rag on for good reason most of the time, but that still doesn't change the fact that averaging 17 ppg isn't the easiest thing for a PF especially with the PF that we have being pretty limited offensive wise. Sure well get some of the points from somewhere else but there could be a drop off obviously depending on what we do in the offseason.

9. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

loooooooooooooooooooool exactly what people like you were saying last year, claiming there'd be huge improvement because of Irving, Varejao, etc.

Aaaand, we still sucked. Irving was great, we still sucked. Varejoa missed his typical 80 games, we sucked.

And I love it.

10. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

While I'm not a fan or flirting with an 8th seed, thats what we were doing this year when healthy. With Kyrie playing bullshit limited minutes. With Jamison's terrible shot selection and 20 shots per.

Butya, we'll be worse next year. Without a doubt.

11. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

I actually do think we'll be a bit better.

But I also think Varejao and others will get injured as they do every year. Who knows? Varejao may not even be here.

And we'll pick in the top 10.

12. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

I mean it's obviously dependent on a lot of things. Will everyone be healthy? Will Varejao stay or be traded for a pick? Will we sign a big/wing in the offseason?

I'm not saying we will be in the playoffs, I'm saying we definitely could be. However, top 10 pick is also very likely.

13. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 Send Sideshow to ASG

I don't know how much Gilbert is going to willing to just sit on all that capspace. Even if we lose Jamison and Parker: I just don't see us being worse. First of all, especially Parker has been awful this year. Jamison appears to add clear value with his scoring. However, we'll add another lottery pick coming in and hopefully he'll be as good as Irving was out of the box. Then I could see Gilbert adding a few guys (Asik, Ilyasova) with that capsace. In particular, a guy like Ilyasova would be bring in Jamison's jumpshot plus a whole lot more.

May not happen, obviously, but I doubt few expected Irving to throw a wrench into the tanking plans this year as bad as he did.

14. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

Can someone explain how much the Cavs "have" to spend in 2012-2013? If I understand right, Baron Davis's salary still counts toward their salary floor. Is there a certain amount they have to spend without getting penalized? What is it? How's it work with the new CBA?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  15. Huber.

Huber. Adrninistrator

Not good Mark

16. Homestar

Homestar Situational Stopper

Remember that we had Sessions for most of this year and he will be replaced with Sloan or someone of equal irrelevance.

I'm just saying, guys will be held out of games whenever possible. The tank will last one more painful season.

Again, even assuming we land Davis:

F Gee Walton
    F Davis Thompson
    C Varejao ?
    G Harris Casspi
    G Irving Sloan

That is still a bad team with a couple really good players and a couple decent ones.

2013-14:

F Big Free Agent
    F Davis Thompson
    C Al Jefferson Varejao
    G '13 Draft Pick
    G Irving

That is your team that takes a huge step.

17. metalman213

metalman213 In the Rotation

Casspi is not a guard, and doron lamb at the lakers pick is a big upgrade from Manny harris / anthony parker imo.

How do we get jefferson? And we wont get a good free agent.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  18. EMIXIM

EMIXIM Rookie

Offensively rookie Davis = old Jamison
    Maybe he won't create as much average as many points or shoot as well from outside, but lobs and offense boards would make up for it. He'd defiantly have a higher fg% and would benefit from mismatches more often. Defensively the two aren't even close. If Kyrie is healthy most of the year there's a very good chance we improve offensively without Jamison no matter who we draft. The FO has so many options to replace Parker's offensive production through the draft or free agency that they would have to consciously conspire to the Thunder model to not upgrade those minutes. After seeing Kyrie throughout the year I think they know its go time now as far as avoiding tank mode w/o necessarily going all in on FA's. We're going to have to spend some of that $15 million that were paying Jamison this year. Kyrie will make guys better and his passing will improve more if he has more offensive talent around him. With our 1st rounder + the potential to find a contributor with a late pick+Varejao back, or any commodity we could trade him for +Tristan's improvement + Gee's improvement I think we are head and shoulders above where we were when healthy this year.

19. Pyro

Pyro Banned

Cavs will not make the playoffs next year. They will pick anywhere from 5-10. They will make the playoffs the season after that.

20. Wine and Gold

Wine and Gold A View Inside the Game Staff Member

We'll be very very young, and that doesn't equate to wins right away. We will be learning and growing along the way, though. I suspect we'll be in the 26-29 win range, if we do as I suspect and trade Varejao at some point during the season ..or maybe this offseason. If we keep Varejao for the season then we might creep into the lower seedings of the playoffs at the very best.

• Like Like x 7