• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Fix the Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Alright armchair GMs, let's hear your plan. But before you offer it, let's review a few things:

1) We need specifics. Don't tell us to go get a RH power bat, tell us who and how you're going to get them.

2) Realistic ideas. Don't talk about trading for guys like Kris Bryant. They are untouchable.

3) Be logical. If Justin Upton has us on his no trade list, he's probably not going to sign here as a free agent.

I'm not being sarcastic either - I'd legitimately like to hear some creative ideas on how to make this team a winner.

Here are your upcoming free agents.

Last edited:
A huge step forward for this team will be when these two are no longer occupying spots on the 25-man roster:

i
i

A huge step forward for this team will be when these two are no longer occupying spots on the 25-man roster:

i
i

Swisher hasn't been on the 25 man most of the year. Bourn is bad, but hes not the only reason this time is bad.

Swisher hasn't been on the 25 man most of the year. Bourn is bad, but hes not the only reason this time is bad.

That's true, but as soon as Swisher is "healed", somebody is going to get kicked off the roster for him just so he can come back up here and flail away for the rest of the season.

I'll just feel a bit better about the state of the team when Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher are no longer Indians.

Might as well just go down the list:

Catchers
Yan Gomes -- Has been unspectacular and injured obviously, but he does have hits in eight of his last ten ballgames. I'm more than willing to just give him a mulligan and hope he can rebound next year similar to how Kipnis did.
Roberto Perez -- Would love for him to see a few more at-bats against right handers. Great plate discipline for a backup catcher and has underrated power when he does hit the ball. Not a shabby defender either.

Infielders
Jesus Aguilar -- As the team continues to plummet down the standings, I wouldn't mind giving Aguilar increased at-bats against left handed pitching. He was mashing pretty well in Triple-A, and with the season more or less over from a competitive standpoint, might as well throw him some extra at-bats.
Mike Aviles -- He's been a solid utility option for the past few years when Tito wasn't trying to get too much out of him (that game he played in CF, for an example). He's probably gone after this season and will be 35 years old next season. He'll latch on somewhere, just likely not in Cleveland.
Jason Kipnis -- No words really needed here. He's been our best offensive weapon by a long shot. Defense still is nothing spectactular, but I'm more than confident in moving forward with Kipnis at second for the next five years.
Francisco Lindor -- He has been making a few rookie errors here and there, and he obviously needs to polish his game up, but his bat already is at a higher level than I expected (he's batting .262 right now), and is a wizard in the field.
Carlos Santana -- I really do like Carlos, but I think his time in Cleveland is coming to an end. Great walk rate, but the true corner infielder power never really materialized and I highly doubt he'll ever hit over .250 again. I definitely could see him moved before the deadline.
Giovanny Urshela -- Similar to Lindor, we knew what we were getting with his defense, but his bat has been a pleasant surprise as well. He's pretty good at hitting into the gaps and has two home runs, four doubles, and a triple thus far.

Out of the eight players I've listed, I'm confident in saying that Gomes, Perez, Aguilar, Kipnis, Lindor, and Urshela will be around in some capacity next season.

I don't expect the club to resign Aviles, but they very well could to a one-year deal, which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Yan Gomes, Giovanny Urshela, Francisco Lindor, and Jason Kipnis very well could be manning their respective positions together for the next five to seven years at least. I do think we need to work on the first base position, and with our main candidates for next season at the position being Santana, Swisher, and Aguilar, and with the closest help in the farm system being Nellie Rodriguez who's still in Lynchburg, I feel that we maybe should look to dip into the FA pool to try to help the position.

Out of the available first basemen in the FA pool:

- Justin Morneau is coming off a neck injury and will be 35. I'll pass.
- Chris Davis is probably out of our price range.
- I expected the Blue Jays to hold on to Encarnacion with the club option.
- Garrett Jones sucks.
- Mike Napoli is looking like Brandon Moss with less power.
- Sean Rodriguez sucks.

First base looks to be a bit of an issue moving forward next season if we can't get one of Santana, Swisher, or Aguilar to give us something productive.

I'll do outfield/pitching later.

Does anybody think that Yan Gomes could potentially start seeing time at first base?

Fire Shapiro and Antonetti.
And since Tito has said if they get fired, he'll quit, fire him too.

Bring in some young minds focused on stats and wipe the fucking decks clean.

I really don't understand why you would fire everybody..

The Indians just need to find a way to add offensive players to this team. I know their budget isn't going to move up much, but it may be the only way barring any type of trade(s).

I love the pitching staff. Its young and the Indians pretty much control the main 4 rotation guys. If they keep all of them together, they could become the best rotiation in baseball, or one of them.

I love the infield we have(minus Carlos Santana, I guess). We have the young defensive guys in Lindor and Urshela that show a ton of promise, along with an all-star second basemen in Kipnis.

You have some great pieces already here.. Its just not working, mainly because you can't score runs.

I'm no expert in baseball, nor will I claim to be.. But in order for this team to start winning and contend, they need to add more power.

How? I'm not sure. They just need to figure it out.

its being reported that the Pirates are really trying to get rid of Alverez shopping him on everybody.

We are just one younger Brandon Moss away from contending

Sad part is that what the Indians need most is a consistent hitter that can slide into the 4 spot and help produce some runs.

They need what Swisher was his entire career before he came here.

It would not be popular, but I'd entertain what contenders were willing to package for Kipnis. I think this team is multiple every day position players away from being a serious threat. If you nab a couple of guys who are at or near major league ready and maybe another who is highly regarded, but a little further off, I'd certainly listen.

You aren't filling many gaps trading away platoon players and guys who have bottomed out. Kip has been up and down and this would certainly be maximizing his value.

I'd love to keep him and win with him, but how are we filling all these holes in the line up?

One guy I'd have interest in as a free agent is Alexandro De Aza. Strictly a platoon guy, but he hits RH pitching pretty well and can play all three spots in the OF. He'd be a good fit in RF with Sands, who hits LH pitching well.

I think he meant we need to clear their salary in order to do any actual fixing.

I guess my confusion was because I was speaking of this week and this winter, not two offseason's from now.

Fire Shapiro and Antonetti.
And since Tito has said if they get fired, he'll quit, fire him too.

Bring in some young minds focused on stats and wipe the fucking decks clean.

Fire the best manager we've had in decades? That's productive.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."