• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Fouling

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Evgeni

Situational Stopper
Reaction score
There is some kind of trend with NBA commentators, led by Jeff Van Gundy to say that there there shouldn't be that many foul, and especially flagrant foul calls.

Why is that? To me it seems that there is too much physicality in the NBA. I want to see fast, clean and beautiful offenses, not players beating each other up. This excessive physicality slows down the game, makes the offense less entertaining and leads to injuries. So why would all these reports favor it?

All the foul calls slow the game down. You used to be able to hand-check back in the day and the flagrant fouls they call today would be called common fouls back then and nobody would blink an eye.

With so much money tied up in superstars, it's a different game. I just think they want to see the game called in less of a ticky-tack nature - let em play.

I have no knowledge of NBA of the 90s, but I hate it that players often fear to drive to the lane an account of hard fouls. I can't help but think that this is not what sports should be about. It also makes offense less entertaining, and offense is why most fans, including myself, watch basketball

We miss you over in the indians thread Bimbo!!

I have no knowledge of NBA of the 90s, but I hate it that players often fear to drive to the lane an account of hard fouls. I can't help but think that this is not what sports should be about. It also makes offense less entertaining, and offense is why most fans, including myself, watch basketball

It's not about the fear of being fouled.

Driving to the basket/lane is no longer the high percentage shot that it used to be like in MJ's day. In the early 00s, the NBA shifted to a zone defense. You now need spacing to do it successfully.

Most people who watch basketball in the United States have likely played basketball in either school, watched a pickup game somewhere, or have at least a fundamental understanding of the sport. So when you watch NBA players like James Harden get to the line 10+ times a game on someone grazing him with their underarm hair, it really gets annoying because you'd never see that anywhere other than the NBA.

What Jeff van Gundy and others are really harping on about is that the NBA needs rule reform to clarify what is a foul and what isn't and to further bring those rules closer to what most would consider a fairer form of basketball.

For instance, we know the offensive players can't jump into the defender's space simply to initiate contact; Kobe used to do this 10 years ago and there were subsequent rule clarifications handed down by the owners to prevent it. However, in recent memory, it seems the refs have tended to allow this if the ball-handler decides to simply run into a defender who is backing up.

Furthermore, to @Lord Mar 's point, the end of the 1990's saw the end of the hand check on perimeter players. This made defending the perimeter almost impossible to do 1-on-1, which indeed made the game faster and more perimeter oriented. This was of course by design, and while most folks prefer the modern game, they don't necessarily agree with how the rules are enforced.

The reason is because, in essence, the NBA has always been, for most of it's history, a very physical game as is basketball itself. However, that trend has been changing over the last 15 years and that physicality has virtually been removed from the sport.

It isn't that the game should be rough with people getting hurt, but, a defender should be afforded the ability to guard his opponent fairly. And in today's NBA, for marketing purposes only, the rules allow many players to exploit the opposing teams defenses simply by exploiting the unfair enforcement of the rules (again, see James Harden).

I played basketball quite a lot actually in the nineties and forward, and we allowed hand checking. But I'm talking about watching the game, and I personally prefer fast, team oriented offense. I hate free throws because as you said they slow down the game, but I also don't like seeing players like Lebron or Griffin being basically beaten up. It just doesn't seem fair to me. Also all these intentional fouls. It's just no what basketball is about. I am not saying there is an easy solution, just expressing my feelings regarding this.

Last edited:
The Pistons and the "Jordan Rules" helped do away with the physical play. Stern didnt want his face of the league and other high profile player to go down with a major injury due to physical defenses. Thus the roll out of limiting/eliminating hand checking and instituting flagrant fouls.

If Mchale did this in '15, how many games would he serve going into the '15/'16 season?

sorry for the poor quality

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ&list=PL35A5033238B2099E

They should let them fight for a couple of minutes, like in hockey.

They should let them fight for a couple of minutes, like in hockey.

Let's give them sticks and helmets while we're at it. fuck it, let's start playing on ice as well!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."