• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Game 33 | Cavs (18-14) @ Horncats (10-23) | January 2nd, 2015 | 7:00pm EST

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jack Brickman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
ClevelandCavaliersOld2.gif

@

charlotte-hornets1.gif

Cavaliers-Hornets Preview

Already struggling to live up to lofty expectations thrust upon them by their hometown superstar's return, the Cleveland Cavaliers now must attempt to turn things around withoutLeBron James.

All-Star forward Kevin Love is also questionable to play as the visiting Cavaliers try to avoid their fourth consecutive defeat Friday night against a scuffling Charlotte Hornets team with injury concerns of its own.

James left Cleveland's loss at Miami on Christmas Day after jumping into the stands to chase an errant pass. He then had to sit out a 109-101 defeat at Atlanta on Tuesday and a 96-80 home loss to Milwaukee the next night.

The Cavaliers learned Thursday the four-time MVP would be out at least two weeks with knee and back strains. The 30-year-old forward acknowledged his knee has been hurting all year and that 11 seasons are beginning to take a toll.

"I've got 41,000 minutes on me, including the playoffs," he joked. "You drive that car in the winter time."

If the two-week timetable holds up, James' absence could reach 10 games or more. The Cavaliers (18-14) have lost their three games without him this season by an average of 11.0 points.

Starting center Anderson Varejao is already out for the season with a torn Achilles, reserveShawn Marion has missed the past two games with a sprained ankle and Love is day to day after sitting Wednesday with back spasms.

The Cavs would certainly welcome Love's return after he's averaged 27.3 points and 15.2 rebounds in his last six meetings with Charlotte dating to his time in Minnesota. He scored 22 and pulled down a season-high 19 boards in a 97-88 home victory Dec. 15 that ended Cleveland's five-game skid in the series.

The Cavaliers, who have lost seven of 12 overall, hope to avert their longest losing streak since a four-game slide in November. They've scored 87.0 per game on 38.6 percent shooting -- including 28.6 from 3-point range -- in their last three defeats.

Kyrie Irving may be asked to carry the scoring load again, averaging 28.5 points over his last four games. The star point guard scored a career-high 44 in a home loss to Charlotte in April, but only had 16 in last month's matchup.

"For us right now we've just to pick it up," Irving said. "I think we're ready to do so, but we need a little bit more. I'm going to have to give more. As a group we have to figure this out."

The Hornets (10-23) are also short-handed with leading scorer and rebounder Al Jefferson out at least four weeks due to a left groin strain. He averaged 8.0 points over a three-game stretch before missing Wednesday's 102-83 loss at Houston.

"He just can't pivot off that one foot which is such a big part of his game," coach Steve Clifford said. "So we want to have it get back to the point that he can play pain free (and) that's what we're going to do."

Since averaging 107.8 points on 47.3 percent shooting during a season-best four-game winning streak, Clifford's club has scored 86.5 with a 36.3 field-goal percentage over its current four-game slide.

Kemba Walker had 12 points against the Rockets, but he's scored a combined 70 in his past two home games. He finished with a team-high 24 points in the first meeting with the Cavaliers.

Charlotte's Marvin Williams should be available after receiving three stitches in a collision Wednesday. Lance Stephenson is expected to miss his ninth consecutive game due to a pelvic sprain.

Really need Love's scoring, even though it's Charlotte. If Love doesn't play, I think Dion needs to start.

Lance out.

Not sure if that helps us or hurts us.

I'll be there. Sucks that Lebron is out but either way it'll be a good time. Love Charlotte and it's one of the better venues I've been to.

Kyrie seems to play really well in Charlotte so I'm expecting a big game from him. So help me god if they don't feature Love more tonight, I might get kicked out of the arena.

Lance out.

Not sure if that helps us or hurts us.

Hurts us. They've been shit with him.

Big Al is out though so that should help. Although Biyombo & Zeller will probably give our guards some trouble with their length and shot blocking.

I feel like this game is much more important than it seems on paper. It might have a huge impact on this whole trip, and Blatt-Bron's situation. Gotta win this one.

Hope this isn't going to be another game where they give up mid-way, and I end up letting my girlfriend watch her housewife shows. ( sad, right? )

This team is never winning a championship, it hurts to say, but if we don't get valuable talent around Irving and LeBron we don't stand a chance. Love started well, but now he is nothing more than shit. Look at the team chemistry, pulling up insanely contested j's, no athelicism. Maybe later considering firing Blatt, does he even know what the fuck he's doing?

This team is never winning a championship, it hurts to say, but if we don't get valuable talent around Irving and LeBron we don't stand a chance. Love started well, but now he is nothing more than shit. Look at the team chemistry, pulling up insanely contested j's, no athelicism. Maybe later considering firing Blatt, does he even know what the fuck he's doing?

Losing Varejoa completely destroyed our depth. D-Waits is my favorite on the team, but seems like its an absolute necessity to package him to get someone big. The weird thing is, when you have people like Irving, Love, and Lebron- you shouldn't want to to clog up the lanes. Since Lebron lost all his weight, Love's weaknesses are shown mightily on a contending team- we NEED someone down there. Someone big that can get in the post, put in easy shots, and kick the ball back out.

Marion and Love are going to help tonight, but Trix is no spring chicken. He has some really off nights. And love sitting at the 3 point line, or fumbling a pass on the block, is what we've seen a lot of.

No need to be negative nancies. This team needs some serious work done to it. The shining star, rose amidst thorns, silver lining, HOWEVER you want to call it- is that Kyrie has stepped up bigtime. He's not giving up on plays, doing what he can, and appears to be trying to lead this rudderless boat.

Losing Varejoa completely destroyed our depth. D-Waits is my favorite on the team, but seems like its an absolute necessity to package him to get someone big. The weird thing is, when you have people like Irving, Love, and Lebron- you shouldn't want to to clog up the lanes. Since Lebron lost all his weight, Love's weaknesses are shown mightily on a contending team- we NEED someone down there. Someone big that can get in the post, put in easy shots, and kick the ball back out.

Marion and Love are going to help tonight, but Trix is no spring chicken. He has some really off nights. And love sitting at the 3 point line, or fumbling a pass on the block, is what we've seen a lot of.

No need to be negative nancies. This team needs some serious work done to it. The shining star, rose amidst thorns, silver lining, HOWEVER you want to call it- is that Kyrie has stepped up bigtime. He's not giving up on plays, doing what he can, and appears to be trying to lead this rudderless boat.
Given Varejão's history with injuries, we can't expect him to be healthy most of the season. He's a really good player, his offense has improved this season, it's a pity he's out.

Leave Date: January 2, 2015

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."