• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Game 53 | LA Lakers (13-37) @ Cavs (31-21) | February 8th, 2015 | 3:30pm EST

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stick

All-Star
Reaction score

game53-1.png

game53-2-2.png

Game Notes:detective:
* Stalwart Start The Cavs have been off to an awesome defensive start in their last 11 games (Indiana notwithstanding...). They've given up no more than 21 points only twice. Over those 11 games, the Cavs are averaging 20.1 points given up in the first quarter. At the same time, they're outscoring their opponent by an average of 4.6 points.

* Today brings the opportunity to sweep both Los Angeles teams. The last time that happened was 5 years ago during the 2009-2010 season.

* The Pacers ended the 12 game winning streak that started with these very Lakers.

* Not-So-Many-Point(s) Guard Opposing starting Point Guards are not having a great time against the Cavs these last 13 games. Over this stretch, they are averaging 11.3 PPG in 29.5 MPG while shooting 27.8%. This is against guys like Rose, Westbrook, Lillard, Walker, and Chris Paul x2. Meanwhile... these point guards are watching Kyrie put up 24.9 PPG in 37 MPG while shooting 50.1%.

* LeBron has been sporadic with turnovers lately. Since he's come back from injury...5|1|9|6|7|2|2|4|6|2|6|2|7... So, if he plays today, he'll probably get around 3.

* LoveGov Kevin and Timo have been a formidable front court. Since Moz has arrived, they are averaging a combined 24.7 PPG, 19.1 RPG, and 1.9 BPG.

* After looking at the playoff picture and the upcoming schedule, I personally see the Cavs being either the third or second seed at the end of the month. Good thing I'm not on the team, because they should be taking it one game at a time!

* The Starters are the Bench? The Bench are the Starters? The Lakers lineup has been looking kind of funky lately. They are starting Clarkson, Wayne Ellington, Ryan Kelly, Black, and Sacre. Partly due to injury... partly due to tanking. Their Bench is responsible for a lot of the team's production. You have guys like Loozer, Lin, Nick Young, Wes Johnson, and Ed Davis coming off the pine. The Lakers (from what I can tell) aren't really supplementing their starters, they're running two separate lineups. ... Not like their bench guys are that much better though.

* Top 5 or Bust As part of their brilliant Steve Nash deal, if the Lakers do not select in the top 5 of the 2015 draft, they will lose their pick to the Suns. Right now, they have about an 18 percent chance of that occurring. A couple of more wins from Orlando would give them a 45 percent chance of picking outside the Top 5.

Never-ending Nightmare Session
* Since the Lakers have traded for Ramon Sessions on March 15th, 2012 they have...
[1] Lost Ramon Sessions to free agency a mere five months later.
[2] Traded for Dwight Howard, only to lose Dwight one season later.
[3] Made it to the playoffs twice. They have made it past the first round once, the next round they lost in 5. The next year they were swept.
[4] Traded for Steve Nash. Nash played 26% of possible games with the Lakers. He hasn't played a single game this year and is retired.
[5] Signed Antwan Jamison in free agency. Jamison ended up retiring quietly with the Clippers. Signed Manny Harris to a 10-Day Contract. Harris has yet to play again in the league.
[6] Fired Mike Brown, hired Mike D'antoni. D'antoni resigned, hired Byron Scott.
[7] Signed Kobe to a 2-year, 48.5 million dollar contract... in 2013.
[8] Have lost Kobe to season-ending injury TWICE in the two seasons following the extension.
[9] Lost Pau Gasol to free agency.
[10] Drafted Julius Randle with the 7th pick in the 2014 draft. Randle is the highest selection taken by the Lakers in 32 years. In his first regular season game, he suffered a season-ending injury.
[11] Saw Phil Jackson take an important position with the Knicks.
[12] Are currently paying Kobe: $23,500,000 | Nash: $9,701,000 | Lin: $14,898,937 | .... Mike Brown: around $3,000,000.
[13] Have lost about 60 percent of the time.

Some Keys:slamdunk:

Stop that Ex-Cav! Last game we all saw CJ Miles kill us. Today, we see another sort-of familiar face, Wayne Ellington. He's been starting for the Lakers, and the only guy on their starting lineup consistently scoring lately. Stop this man! Oh... and Carlos Loozer.

Don't Take Them Lightly The Lakers are easy to overlook. The Cavs need to attack them early. I doubt if they were too thrilled with the last game. Hopefully the bench will have a chance for some good ol' Garbage Time later in the game.

Transition Mission If the Cavs get out into transition and crush them on the fast break, the Wine and Gold should win pretty handily. The Lakers Bench (er... starters?) are turnover prone.

creepyjack.jpg

Phew! Another Game Day Preview in the books! I have spent the longest on this particular one. Hope you enjoy! The last image with Jack was from my first preview last season against the Lakers. Sucks about the win streak, but hey, we'll start another one. Oh, I know Ronnie Price is out too, but seriously, I doubt anyone will notice. No offense, Ronnie. Plus if I removed him, it would mess with the play on words in the first image. Well, I have to get up in 3 hours, enjoy your day and ... GO CAVS!! ...Apparently this is a 'Prime Time' matchup O_O'. "Poor" Lakers.

Last edited:
This is where we see if the team has finally turned the corner...how they respond to a loss is something we have not been able to judge yet

Reactions: ETG

* Since the Lakers have traded for Ramon Sessions on March 15th, 2012 they have...
[3] Made it to the playoffs twice. They have made it past the first round once, the next round they lost in 5. The next year they were swept.
[4] Traded for Steve Nash. Nash played 26% of possible games with the Lakers. He hasn't played a single game this year and is retired.
[5] Signed Antwan Jamison in free agency. Jamison ended up retiring quietly with the Clippers. Signed Manny Harris to a 10-Day Contract. Harris has yet to play again in the league.
[6] Fired Mike Brown, hired Mike D'antoni. D'antoni resigned, hired Byron Scott.
[8] Have lost Kobe to season-ending injury TWICE in the two seasons following the extension.
[10] Drafted Julius Randle with the 7th pick in the 2014 draft. Randle is the highest selection taken by the Lakers in 32 years. In his first regular season game, he suffered a season-ending injury.
[12] Are currently paying Kobe: $23,500,000 | Nash: $9,701,000 | Lin: $14,898,937 | .... Mike Brown: around $3,000,000.

Bro, this is a GREAT preview. Very informative and precise. Fantastic job. Go Cavs.

game53-1.png

game53-2-2.png

Game Notes:detective:
* Stalwart Start The Cavs have been off to an awesome defensive start in their last 11 games (Indiana notwithstanding...). They've given up no more than 21 points only twice. Over those 11 games, the Cavs are averaging 20.1 points given up in the first quarter. At the same time, they're outscoring their opponent by an average of 4.6 points.

* Today brings the opportunity to sweep both Los Angeles teams. The last time that happened was 5 years ago during the 2009-2010 season.

* The Pacers ended the 12 game winning streak that started with these very Lakers.

* Not-So-Many-Point(s) Guard Opposing starting Point Guards are not having a great time against the Cavs these last 13 games. Over this stretch, they are averaging 11.3 PPG in 29.5 MPG while shooting 27.8%. This is against guys like Rose, Westbrook, Lillard, Walker, and Chris Paul x2. Meanwhile... these point guards are watching Kyrie put up 24.9 PPG in 37 MPG while shooting 50.1%.

* LeBron has been sporadic with turnovers lately. Since he's come back from injury...5|1|9|6|7|2|2|4|6|2|6|2|7... So, if he plays today, he'll probably get around 3.

* LoveGov Kevin and Timo have been a formidable front court. Since Moz has arrived, they are averaging a combined 24.7 PPG, 19.1 RPG, and 1.9 BPG.

* After looking at the playoff picture and the upcoming schedule, I personally see the Cavs being either the third or second seed at the end of the month. Good thing I'm not on the team, because they should be taking it one game at a time!

* The Starters are the Bench? The Bench are the Starters? The Lakers lineup has been looking kind of funky lately. They are starting Clarkson, Wayne Ellington, Ryan Kelly, Black, and Sacre. Partly due to injury... partly due to tanking. Their Bench is responsible for a lot of the team's production. You have guys like Loozer, Lin, Nick Young, Wes Johnson, and Ed Davis coming off the pine. The Lakers (from what I can tell) aren't really supplementing their starters, they're running two separate lineups. ... Not like their bench guys are that much better though.

* Top 5 or Bust As part of their brilliant Steve Nash deal, if the Lakers do not select in the top 5 of the 2015 draft, they will lose their pick to the Suns. Right now, they have about an 18 percent chance of that occurring. A couple of more wins from Orlando would give them a 45 percent chance of picking outside the Top 5.

Some Keys:slamdunk:

Stop that Ex-Cav! Last game we all saw CJ Miles kill us. Today, we see another sort-of familiar face, Wayne Ellington. He's been starting for the Lakers, and the only guy on their starting lineup consistently scoring lately. Stop this man! Oh... and Carlos Loozer.

Don't Take Them Lightly The Lakers are easy to overlook. The Cavs need to attack them early. I doubt if they were too thrilled with the last game. Hopefully the bench will have a chance for some good ol' Garbage Time later in the game.

Transition Mission If the Cavs get out into transition and crush them on the fast break, the Wine and Gold should win pretty handily. The Lakers Bench (er... starters?) are turnover prone.

creepyjack.jpg

Phew! Another Game Day Preview in the books! I have spent the longest on this particular one. Hope you enjoy! The last image with Jack was from my first preview last season against the Lakers. Sucks about the win streak, but hey, we'll start another one. Oh, I know Ronnie Price is out too, but seriously, I doubt anyone will notice. No offense, Ronnie. Plus if I removed him, it would mess with the play on words in the first image. Well, I have to get up in 3 hours, enjoy your day and ... GO CAVS!! ...Apparently this is a 'Prime Time' matchup O_O'. "Poor" Lakers.
Love your game previews - graphics and info. Great job! :celb (2):

excellent game thread! Lets get a win boys (and girls)!

Not too long ago, Lakers fans were convinced they'd get Love and Kyrie.

This should really be an easy game. Absolutely no reason to lose this one.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."