• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Games you played as a kid that you wish you could play again

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simmy

The Land (Down Under) of The Heartless
Staff member
Real Cleveland Fans
Administrator
Reaction score
Title speaks for itself.

I'll go first:The 1996 PC game "Toonstruck."

Toonstruck is an adventure game released in 1996 in which, although all the imagery is drawn and scanned into the game, the protagonist Drew Blanc (played and voiced by Christopher Lloyd) is an actual video-captured representation of the actor (the name is a pun, since the character has "drawn a blank" on coming up with a new idea for a character). Drew's sidekick, crudely named Flux Wildly, is a drawn character voiced by Dan Castellaneta. Toonstruck also features scan-line compressed FMV and was also one of the first video games to include stock music from APM Music, notably the classic "Spooky Scherzo" by Sam Fonteyn.

Here's some video of the game play:

[video=youtube;xERRV7JmZk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERRV7JmZk8[/video]

Did anyone else play this? I was absolutely in love with the creativity, graphics, game play, comedy and overall visuals of this game as a kid. Really a heck of a lot of fun. I tried loading it up again a few years back but it seems I need a much older computer to play it. Shame.

Anyway, you guys know the drill. What was your favorite game (of any console) to play as a kid that you wish you could relive today?

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

1992 PC

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Kingdom Hearts.

Crash Bandicoot.

Spyro.

Mega-man (SuperNintendo)

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

1992 PC

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You sir, are my new best friend. I completely forgot about this game! This goes right beside "Toonstruck" for me. the 8-bit audio and text dialogue, + using your Indi inventory as you navigate through the point and click map was absolutely priceless.

Where to begin?

DOS:
One Must Fall
Scorched Earth
Tex Murphy Detective Series
Doom
Quake
B.R.E. / S.R.E. Door games
Mechwarrior
Wing Commander
Microsoft Flight/Space Simulator
Leisure Suit Larry
Commander Keen

Master System:
Phantasy Star
Ghostbusters

Nintendo:
Castlevania series
Mike Tyson's Punch-out
Megaman series
Super Mario series (SMB3 specifically)
Ninja Gaiden
Lots more...

Genesis:
Phantasy Star II & IV
There's too many to list really..

SNES:
Final Fantasy II/III (I know I know)
Super Mario World
Chrono Trigger
Again.. Lots...

Sega CD:
Snatcher! (awesome awesome game)

PS1:
Xenogears (greatest game ever made)
FFVII
Lots....

Sega Saturn:
Marvel Superhereos vs Street Fighter (4MB upgrade)
Vampire Savior (upgrade)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (upgrade)
Marvel vs Capcom (upgrade)

PS2:
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Lots of games but I played those more hours than anything..

Xbox 1:
KOTOR 1 & 2
Halo 2

Gouri reminding me of my love for the Wing Commander games. Damn you! :chuckles:

I don't get the "wish you could play again" part of this topic, though. Pretty much any game you want to play from when you were a kid you can probably download and play with an emulator.

Anyway, I'll throw out The Curse of Monkey Island.

[video=youtube;1-9my0tsutw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9my0tsutw[/video]

Great animation, perfect voice acting, hilarious script, and very challenging. It's an old-school adventure game, so most of the puzzles use adventure game logic which, if you're familiar with the term, has very little to do with actual logic. I highly recommend anyone who likes point and click adventure games give the Monkey Island series a try, though. Awesome games.

Red Alert 2, my computer could never run it past maybe loading of a skirmish but that didnt make me stop renting it from the library. used to spend hours upon hours playing it with my buddy at his house.

I dont wanna know how many hundreds of hours i put in to pokemon red/blue/yellow..good lord. i could go back and play through those any day of the week but the new ones cant hold my interest any more after a single play through, too much of the same "level up, evolve, beat gym leaders, you win"

TMNT Turtles in Time on SNES was fucking classic. SNES had so many good 2 player beat-em-ups

I think the game I spent the most hours on would be Street Fighter 3 and then Halo 2. Outside of fighting games, I know I spent 200 hours in both Final Fantasy XII and Star Ocean III on PS2. Those are considerably long RPGs if you do all the side quests and level up your characters. FFXII was probably the most fun I've ever had with an RPG battle engine. Was just too addictive.

I'd be shocked if anyone played more than a couple of these games, but of the ones I haven't seen mentioned:

I loved Black Bass for Nintendo and Play Action Football for Gameboy. For Sega, Chaken: The Forever Man and the Altered Beast. In the Arcade, Ninja Turtles and NBA Jam were the shit.

I used to play Jurassic Park: Warpath religiously when I was younger. Mortal Kombat with dinosaurs instead. Hopefully they release a newer version for the next gen consoles once Jurassic World comes out next summer.

From my childhood i remember playing hours on streetfighter 2 black market edition in the local arcade.

Before then on my zx spectrum 48k used to love jet set willy and willy vs the taxman

syndicate on the amiga was awesome too.

The one game that will mean more to me than any is C+C generals. I was living is a 1 bed studio flat with my ex-fiance for 4 months. we had no telly, i just had a laptop and some headphones, literally saved my life.

I used to play Jurassic Park: Warpath religiously when I was younger. Mortal Kombat with dinosaurs instead. Hopefully they release a newer version for the next gen consoles once Jurassic World comes out next summer.

That game was basically a (really fun) rip-off of Primal Rage, which I played a ton of. One of the ape character pissed fire. :chuckles:

Just remembered CoolSpot for Genesis, which was essentially an advertisement for 7Up. :chuckles:

RollerCoaster Tycoon for PC and all of it's iterations are/were awesome.

Contra - Nintendo
Track & Field (???) - Nintendo, with the mother f'n POWER PAD you ran on.
power_pad%2B4.jpg

Battletoads & Double Dragon - SNES
Halo 2 - XBOX
Where in TIME is Carmen Sandiego
Ken Griffey Baseball
Spy Hunter
Punch Out!
Tecmo Super Bowl
Duck Hunt
Tony Hawk

Probably a few more, just the ones I could think of in a couple minutes.

There's a game I flat out cannot figure out the name of that I used to love. I'm pretty sketchy on details, but I'd be pumped if someone can remember this.

It was a battle game for, I think, Sega. You and a friend would create an army of maybe like 4-5 characters and play against each other. I think i recall the colors of each army being red and blue, but could be wrong. You could pick from a guy that hurled dynamite, and if you paused the game while he was throwing it, it would automatically it. Then there was a flamethrower guy and I believe a machine gun guy and some others.

It was basically just a one on one battle game, very cartoony looking.

This sound familiar to anyone??

Paperboy
Adventure Island

Streets of Rage
Toe Jam and Earl

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."