• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Get To Know Joe Vardon

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheAdmin

2 weeks notice
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
RCF: What exactly does the Lebron James Beat entail?

Joe Vardon: I am working on a story right now that explains this. When the Northeast Ohio Media Group announced my hiring, the news story said I would be covering the "arc of LeBron." There is no "arc of LeBron" without basketball, so you will see voluminous work from me about LeBron on the floor. I'll be at most of the games (home AND away), I'll be writing basketball almost daily. Heck, my immediate boss is the content manager for sports (sports editor). But this job is also about so much more than basketball, because LeBron is about so much more. He is a budding business mogul, an actor, an endorser of products, a philanthropist. He transcends sports already, and that transcendence will only grow. It is my job to not only pay those components of the "arc of LeBron" lip service, but to chronicle them with the same level of attention and veracity we apply to basketball.

RCF: You've been described to us as a no nonsense reporter who isn't afraid to ask questions. Will that continue now that you've been hired to cover basically just one man?

JV: Yes. I only know one way.

RCF: Can you touch a bit on your professional background?

JV: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/09/chris_haynes_joe_vardon_and_ch.html This is close enough. A few notes: the "wire service" was something I created for Dix Communications newspapers, which include the Wooster Daily Record. Also, while in Toledo, I covered University of Michigan football, problems with University of Toledo athletics, and Tigers/Mud Hens baseball. at the Dispatch, I would add that I was one of two lead reporters on the 2012 presidential election.

RCF: What do you think the Cavs biggest weakness is going into camp?

JV: We all say the same thing -- a rim protector at the 5. But this weakness may be overrated. Talent (or a lack thereof) is not an excuse.

RCF: Can the Cavs win it all this year without another move being made?

JV: Yes

I've heard about eight questions this guy has asked at pressers/after practice and they all have been cringe worthy bad.

He's not a basketball guy and him being allowed to pretend to be one isn't a good thing.

Leave Hayes Alone!

Dang, i didn't get the job. I even applied too...by the way I do have a degree in journalism so it wasn't just a mere pipe dream

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."