• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Gordon suspension reduced to 10, 12 if convicted of DWI

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lee

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So, this is not good. We knew it could happen.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon could face a season-long suspension after a second failed drug test months ago, this time for marijuana, sources told "Outside the Lines" on Friday.

Reached by phone Friday afternoon, Gordon said: "That's something you're going to have to talk to [agent] Drew Rosenhaus about. I really don't know anything about it."

[+] EnlargeJosh Gordon
Andrew Weber/USA TODAY SportsJosh Gordon could face a season-long suspension after a second failed drug test months ago, this time for marijuana, sources told "Outside the Lines."

Asked whether he planned an appeal of his suspension and test, Gordon said, "I'm going to have to find out about that later. You need to call Drew," before hanging up.

Rosenhaus declined to comment but said the information was "not true."

The 23-year-old Gordon was expected to the top target for Brian Hoyer or rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel this upcoming season.

Gordon, who was suspended last season without pay for two games and two additional game checks for his first violation of the league's policy, led the Browns with 87 receptions and had nine touchdowns last season. He led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards and became the first player in NFL history with consecutive 200-yard receiving games.

Gordon said last year's suspension was the result of using cough syrup that contained codeine -- a banned substance.

Two sources told "Outside the Lines" Friday that Gordon's latest violation is the result of marijuana being found during a drug test. One source said that Gordon received a letter in early winter from a league physician stating he had failed a test. A second letter, informing Gordon that he faced a 16-game suspension but had the right to appeal, was sent in late April.

Gordon had drug-testing problems in college as well. He was dismissed from the Baylor Bears after being suspended twice for marijuana use. He transferred to Utah but didn't play there after failing another drug test.

Gordon is considered the star on an offense that added Manziel Thursday night with the 22nd selection in the first round of the draft.

Prior to the draft, Gordon pushed behind the scenes for the Browns to take Manziel.

"I think I was just a big fan of his overall game, his prowess on it," Gordon said Friday on "SVP & Russillo" on ESPN Radio, before "Outside the Lines" reported the substance abuse policy violation. "His outlook on it. His fire and ambition and will to win was greater than I think any other prospect in the draft.

"Despite all the mixed reviews and the media downsizing him, his perseverance seemed to be a lot greater than that. I saw something a lot deeper than just his talent that could take us to the next level."

And our worst fears are realized.

We can't have nice things. Just can't.

At least we can fall back on Samm.... Well hey, wait a minute!

So did the Browns know about this going into the draft, or did the NFL neglect to tell them until after they'd pass on Watkins?

Oh dear. Oh dear.

No reason to start Manziel this season, to be honest.

So did the Browns know about this going into the draft, or did the NFL neglect to tell them until after they'd pass on Watkins?

The article said he was sent two letters prior to the draft. The Browns either know it will be overturned or have a contingency in place. No doubt Gordon told them about it.

Sky not falling yet then...but it's starting to rain. :chuckles:

For those that thinking we should have taken a WR, the team knew this before the draft. There is always the chance its not true, but chances are we will be without Gordon for a year.

I hate this fucking team. We can't even get 24 hours of excitement. Fuck this shit. Cut this piece of shit he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL.

If he is out for the year, just get him off the team. I'm not sure how dumb you can be.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."