1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Greg Oden interview (plans to come back for 2013)

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by Pioneer10, May 9, 2012.

1. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 Send Sideshow to ASG

Always liked Oden as a person. Too bad his body hasn't help up. Looks like Portland has some real issues up there (Roy and Oden may not be coincidence)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career

• Like Like x 3
  2. Walter White

Walter White All-Star

Albuquerque. My house is the one with the pizza on
    His career is done. I'm sorry but the truth hurts.

3. Bill Walton.

Bill Walton. Luke, I am your Father

… shoulda been a dentist

• Like Like x 1
  4. billmac91

billmac91 Sixth Man

He could barely walk the night Ohio State played Duke. He honestly looked like he needed a cane his posture was so bad. I just don't even see him playing again. He was born big, but his body wasn't built for the size. He was an unnatural big...when he first needed surgery at 7 for the length of his legs, it should have been apparent physical activities would one day take its toll on his body. The Blazers really ignored a lot of information that was out there....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

sweet priorities

tho article does essentially point out that he probably wouldn't have lived up to the hype or anything close to it had he actually been able to stay on the court.

6. Damage

Damage ****face

1. You're right. He should have stayed shacked up in his house. I mean, what 21 year old wants to go out and have fun.

2. The last 7 games he has played: PPG/RPG/BPG - MPG
    1. 16/6/1 - 24
    2. 16/5/3 - 24
    3. 24/12/2 - 27
    4. 18/8/4 - 25
    5. 13/10/3 - 28
    6. 9/3/0 - 24
    7. 13/20/4 - 30

As denoted in the article, he avg 15.6/9.1/2.4 in only 26 MPG...rushing through a devastating knee injury. I'm not suggesting he would have been great or not, but it really looked like he was coming into his own.

If he would have stayed at the aforementioned stat clip, he would have avg PER 36 16.7/12.8/3.4. Or, in NBA, he would have been 3rd in rebounding, 2nd in blocks, and 6th in scoring (for Centers) while shooting 61%. His WS/48, .214, was twice the avg NBA player. To put things in perspective, the .214 WS/48 would have been 12th best all time.

I know, lot's of ifs. But his trajectory (and this article) demonstrated that he was, in fact, climbing towards playing at an elite level.

• Like Like x 7
  7. RonG

RonG All for one

One of the better sports articles I have read in a very long time.

8. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

I'm not even going to tip-toe around it. If Greg Oden could've stayed healthy, he would've been better than Dwight Howard by a good margin. I think he would've been that good. The guy was just a monster.

9. Damage

Damage ****face

Maybe.

In any event, I would love to sign him this off-season, shelve him for the entire year, let him rehab & get his body/knees sorted out and start him in 2013 (all depending on what we do in this draft).

• Like Like x 3
  10. germancav

germancav Situational Stopper

Would be great to see him back on the court one day... Taking the 2012/13 season off might be a good idea, just wondering how he is going to finance all the doctors and rehab in general without a NBA team taking care of it. I guess using the services of the best doctors the country has (which Oden needs to do) wont be cheap

11. Damage

Damage ****face

No more expensive than any other injury/rehab. Someone will definitely take a chance on him.

12. germancav

No...You didnt read correctly. He said he wont sign for a team until the 2012/13 season is over because he finds it "unethical"

13. MattyFos.

MattyFos. Ballplayer

That means "I'm not going to sign a contract below market value due to injury. I'll sit out a year, get healthy and sign a better deal"

14. germancav

It also means he has to pay doctors and rehab by himself....

15. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

You're right. Fuck actually worrying about rehab and forming some sort of legitimate career when you can just go out and bang easy whores while on the way to becoming an alcoholic. That is what you call prioritizing.

That's a pretty awesome sample size tho. What it doesn't tell you, that this article does, is that Oden is too fragile mentally to succeed, paranoid, immature, and frankly just not able to hold himself accountable.

It's easy to look good in a select few games. It's not easy to become an elite player and stay at that level without succumbing to increased pressure from everyone as well as increased temptations off the court.

16. NoTitleTown

NoTitleTown In the Rotation

One time, during college at OSU, my brother had a party and played with Greg Oden's girlfriend's boobies. True story.

17. David.

David. .

thats odd because I imagine the chick dating an 8 foot tall nba athlete would be a nice christian girl.

• Like Like x 6
  18. dano_24_26

dano_24_26 Sixth Man

What an asshole.

Prolly the only team that would give him a contract though.

19. billmac91

billmac91 Sixth Man

No way. Miami doesn't have enough cap space to spend on a guy who likely can never play again. You sign Oden and he gets hurt, Miami is lost. The guy can barely walk anymore...I just don't see anyone giving him a contract any time soon. It's sad to see him just try and get around normally at this point...his walking gait looks like a 60-70 year old man. All of the surgeries have left him looking like a washed up NBA retiree...If he can barely walk around, how does anyone expect him to get back on an NBA court?

Watch 20 seconds in...granted this was months ago, but his body just isn't equipped for professional basketball.

[video=youtube;l6T9LF_AzmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6T9LF_AzmI[/video]

20. abraxas

abraxas 6th Man

• Like Like x 1