1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Help Me Buy a Car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shakalu M.D., Nov 19, 2012.

1. Shakalu M.D.

Shakalu M.D. Its Happening!!!!

So I'm going to be in a situation where I have to get a new car soon. Now I'm no Rlaw and I'm not going to buy a retardedly expensive car because I don't have to overcompensate like he does. I'm just looking for a car that will get me to and from work with good gas mileage. I also prefer to buy American, but that's just a preference of mine that I can get around if necessary.

One car I'm looking at right now is the Chevy Volt. It's fairly expensive, around 42 grand. The reason I'm attracted to it is because it comes with a $7,500 tax credit and is truly an electric car. Apparently you can drive the first 25-50 miles on the electric battery alone. If that's accurate I could theoretically go to and from work on no gas. That's huge for me. My job will require me to do some driving to other branches on occasion, but it won't be a regular necessity of mine.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

Just buy a Toyota Prius and be done with it.

3. Shakalu M.D.

I've looked at it and I don't really understand the allure of a Prius. It doesn't get much better mileage than the Focus I drive now.

4. "Boobie" Gibson

You have one of them fancy electric Focus?

5. Shakalu M.D.

Nope, just a regular 08 Focus. It's listed at about 28 MPG online but it gets far more than that. I guess the same could be true of the Prius.

6. "Boobie" Gibson

Truth. I used to have a Toyota Celica and it was listed around 28 or so and I can remember getting around 38 lol. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with how you drive.

But I'm not helping you out at all, so peace.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Get something used and inexpensive. You just got out of college. You have more important shit to spend money on...

How about a Subaru Outback or Forester?

• Like Like x 3
  8. KB

KB NBA Starter

I found a 99 Civic on craigslist for 2300$

Everything was and still is in great condition even though it had 200k miles on it when I bought you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it.

A family friend is a master mechanic at the Marysville plant so it might make more sense for me to but something like that as opposed to someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shakalu M.D.

I definitely agree with the inexpensive aspect. It's just that I'm going to have to do a fair amount of driving and I expect gas prices to do nothing but go up, which is why I was drawn to the car that could theoretically allow me to go to and from work on no gas.

I'm actually in pretty good shape financially right now. All of my loans are federal and I've put a good dent in paying them off. All in all my loans add up to about a car payment's worth of debt. I have no credit card debt and some money in the bank. I'm a pretty frugal guy and I make it my business to pay off debt as quick as possible. It's why I lived with my mom for a while after I graduated. I was literally dumping every cent I earned into my student loans.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Save more.

Prove it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shakalu M.D.

Prove your wife is hot.

[​IMG]

If I don't end up shelling out the money for the electric one I'll likely just end up getting something used, cheap, or both. I should have also mentioned I'm looking to inherit at least $125,000 from a trust fund that my great grandpa set up for my grandma. There's over $1,000,000 in there that gets split between her 4 children. Since my dad is dead his share gets split between my sister and I. I'll actually probably inherit more than that because my grandparents are loaded, but the $125k is the minimum I stand to get. I'm not sure how it works but it will probably get taxed to Hell. It's not that much money but it'll be a nice cushion to have in the bank. I hate to say it but I'll probably end up getting it sooner rather than later. My grandparents are almost 90.

Me getting the car really depends on me landing this job I'm going for. I have a pretty solid shot though because I'm fully qualified and I'm playing the nepotism card.

12. cavsfan1985

cavsfan1985 ^ kind of a big deal!

I would go new in this case, better interest rates, and used cars are being sold at a premium. The nice part about new, is it is your car, and you can take good care of it. If you plan to buy something else in 3 years then buy used, but if you are ok driving it for 7 to 8 years then go new.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shakalu M.D.

I have no problem driving the same car until it dies. The only reason I'm looking now is because my current job allows me to work from home. This new job will not, thus I can no longer share a car like I have been.

14. IWantAKouki

IWantAKouki Kouki, Not Cookie.

You are spending a lot of money to save some money on gas.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

How many miles will you drive per year?

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

If I were in your position, I'd target 20k or under for the cost of the car. If you're desperately in need of a new rather than used car, consider looking at some 2012's as these guys want them off the lot asap.

I just don't see any value in a really nice car for you yet. 4-5 years from now, maybe. Save money for a house.

Bet Your grandparents would rather have had you put that money into something you can live in than sinking it into a car.

If you buy a car that costs more than 25k, I'll locate you and kick you in your seizy little nuts.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Damage

Damage ****face

This reads like a meme:

Grandpa dies and leaves inheritance:

Buys a Ferrari

Plus, you're kind of hoping for your grandparents to pass just so you can spend $700/month to save you $200-$300/month in gas. In other words, it's selfish and it makes no sense.

Save that money. Set up an IRA account (Hell, start a SEPIRA). Invest in commodities. Keep it under your mattress for all I care. Bottom line is don't blow it on a car. Everyone should go through the car hierarchy. For example: In high school I started off with a shitty '97 Honda Civic. College I moved onto my parents used '91 Jeep Cherokee. Sr year, I leased a 2001 Civic, fully loaded. Started working, bought used 2000 SAAB 93. Career started going well, I now own a 2010 BMW 128. You can't just jump into a 40k car unless you can afford it without worrying about gas prices.

My advice?

Ford Fusion
    Kia Optima (maybe the Hybrid)
    Volvo S60 (they lease really, really well)
    Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe (my buddy owns one - fast as fuck and gets 30 mpg).

• Like Like x 5
  18. IWantAKouki

IWantAKouki Kouki, Not Cookie.

Don't get me wrong, by no means is the Volt a bad car...in fact it is an awesome car and it's a fantastic idea. Doesn't suffer from the piss-poor range of other all-electric cars, but is all-electric for the distance that maybe 75% of Americans drive in each day. The gas engine still means that you aren't handcuffed into needing two cars for when you want to go out of town. It also has a fantastic user satisfaction rating, I believe the BEST user satisfaction rating for all new cars last year (granted, early adopters are going to rate their expensive new techno-toy a lot more favorably, but still impressive).

However, it's new technology, and it isn't really fiscally "worth it" - that is, it shouldn't be bought for fiscal reasons. Say you drive 30 miles every single day, 365 days a year, on the electric charge only, and let's look at some situations....

"Best" case for the Volt assuming you instead buy a new/used relatively economic car: gas prices at 4.00/gallon and your new 20k car gets 30 mpg. You save $1460 in gas per year. Takes about ten years to make up the difference between this and a Volt.

What if you bought a '12 pre-owned Focus that could deliver 35 mpg, for around $16,000? It would take 15 years to make up the difference even at $4.00/gallon.

Or buy a new Prius C for around 19k that gives around 45 mpg. 16.4 years to make up the difference.

Hell even if you bought a 20k car that got 20 mpg, it would still take nearly SEVEN YEARS to make up the difference of buying a Volt. 20k can buy you a lot of car on the used market. You could get something attractive, relatively quick and fun to drive (compared to a Volt), and even something with a warranty.

Or buy a $2000 Civic that gets 35 mpg and see a return in 26.4 years :)

People make a big stink about gas mileage but when you break it down to monthly or yearly expenditures, the difference in mpg and gas prices is pretty small for a single car and it rarely makes sense to buy a new car to save money in gas. And I guarantee that a majority of people complaining about a 10c rise in gas prices are wasting a bunch of money somewhere else in their lives...but that is a new topic...

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

For the record, I sold the shit out of that TL as soon as I moved on to a position that (a) wasn't paying out the aine for me to get whatever car I wanted and (b) started driving about 10 miles a week working from home and staying off the road for health reasons as opposed to 1,000 miles a week on the road.

Take the 30 year old guys (plural) and IWantAJortsy's advice. We know our shit.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shakalu M.D.

I'm not even remotely hoping my grandparents pass for the money. I'd much rather never see it if it means they'll be around longer. My grandpa was basically my defacto father.

As for the Volt, it was just an idea because of the gas thing, I'd likely end up driving around 50 miles a day. I don't have my heart set on the Volt or anything, it was just something I came across when looking at low mileage vehicles. Getting a 7,500 tax credit was kind of appealing as well. If I sit down, crunch the numbers, and it's not worth it then I'm not going to get it.