• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Hornets sold to Tom Benson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pyro

Go Cleveland!
Reaction score
Looking for a story right now, but apparently Tom Benson (owner of the Saints) has bought the Hornets.

RT @Probballdraft: Big move by NOLA Saints owner Tom Benson to purchase @Hornets for $338M. Having a good team in place is key to any ownership group.*

Really NBA? You threw a giant fucking hissy fit when Paul Allen wanted to buy the Trailblazers because of him owning the Seahawks. If I remember correctly, the only reason they let it go through is because Paul Allen argued that it was 2 different markets.

But sure, let's have the Saints owner buy the Hornets. Fucking hypocrites.

Perhaps an announcement of new ownership will mean the Hornets will move out of trade-limbo and make some of their players or contracts/picks available by draft-day. It will likely be easier dealing with a new GM than dealing with Stern.

Really NBA? You threw a giant fucking hissy fit when Paul Allen wanted to buy the Trailblazers because of him owning the Seahawks. If I remember correctly, the only reason they let it go through is because Paul Allen argued that it was 2 different markets.

I thought it was the other way around. I thought the NFL forbid owners from owning another pro team in the US.

Not reported: Stern gives the new owner the wink and the gun when asked about the Hornets chances of "winning" the lottery.

Last edited:

Well the NFL has a rule that majority owners can own another franchise if a.) the team is in their home city or b.) if the other team is in a non NFL market. Paul Allen never had a problem owning the Seahawks and Trailblazers because as you mentioned different markets/NFL primary market does not exist in Portland. This kind of goes in hand on why Stan Kroenke was aggressive in buying the Dodgers.

NFL rules allow owners to own an NHL, NBA, or MLB team in their home market, so no league issues with Benson purchase.

https://twitter.com/#!/dkaplansbj

Even though the Saints have been a winner the past few years (bounty gate notwithstanding), I remember a lot of people not liking Benson as on owner, calling him "cheap".

So, lets fleece their draft picks for bad-ish contracts, yes?

Meanwhile, Drew Bress is still awaiting for his contract extension.

Benson said he is also trying to change the name of the NBA team to better fit the ambience, culture and charm of New Orleans.

"We need to find a name like (Jazz)," Benson said, referring to New Orleans first NBA team that relocated to Salt Lake City in 1979. "Whether we can get that or let us use that, you've got to know we're working on it. We'd like to change it tomorrow. We have not gotten that approved, but we're not letting up on it, either. Because we've got a good relationship with the commissioner and his people and we're going to be on them daily to do something."

That's even better. Bye bye Hornets franchise, we hardly knew ye.

Changing the name to something more New Orleans related would be great for that team. However, what can they use? The New Orleans Beads? Drunken Disorder?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."