• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

How about Paul Millsap and keep Wiggins?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SuperDave1

Rookie
Reaction score
Right now everyone is focused on whether or not we should send Mr. Wiggins to Minny for Kevin Love. It is one heck of an argument on either side with LeBron's wishes probably trumping everything. I think the Cavs should look at the immediate future in other ways besides K-Love or bust. I'd love for the Cavs to look at possibly trying to obtain a guy like Paul Millsap instead. With the team we have, LBJ and Kyrie are going to be the two headliners and both will be making huge money and taking up a large part of the offense. A guy like Millsap would do much of the same things Love could and demand a lot less money and allow us to keep Wiggins and some of or other young guys. Mr. Millsap just goes to work every night and gets buckets and rebounds. He is a true pro and has played well in the playoffs. The guy is tough as nails and would be a great teammate. There is only one basketball and with LeBron, Kyrie and Wiggins, you will need someone that does not need the limelight but delivers what is needed every night. The inclusion of a guy like Millsap would also allow us to possibly obtain a rim-protecting big man. The LBJ, Kyrie, K-Love triumvirate will quickly put is in salary cap hell and make it difficult to get the pieces we need besides a lot of old men.

I can't imagine that there is much of a downside of having Paul Millsap and Andrew Wiggins as compared to Kevin Love. While I do believe that Love is better than Millsap, I'm not sure that the gap is as wide as some may think. Love certainly won't average 26 points on a team with Kyrie and LeBron. He may get 18 and 11. Millsap could get 15 and 9. Wiggins could get 12 and 5 and play D on the perimeter and grow into possibly a better Scottie Pippin under LeBron's tutelage. These are the things that I think the Cavs should consider. Love is a hell of a player based on his stats. Millsap is a straight up hoss and a leader. I have a hard time believing the Cavs would be better short run or long run with a maxed out Kevin Love over a reasonably priced Paul Millsap and an Andrew Wiggins on rookie scale.

I know this is up to LeBron but I'd at least talk to him about the option. My guess is Millsap could be had for Bennett and a first rounder or possibly Dion and Haywood.

Wrong section, but in short, Danny Ferry will do no deals unless it ends with the Cavs getting raped. Ferry will never just play ball with how his tenure here ended.

How about Paul Millsap and keep Wiggins?
sheep+Why+are+you+staring.gif

Would love Millsap, but I agree...no way Ferry does the Cavs any favors.

Milsapp is a FA at the end of the year so he is an option for the use of Haywood's exception.

Even Ferry would prefer a S&T with us for something over letting Milsapp walk.

They really need to get Horford back at PF if they want to keep him.

First of all... join date of April 2005 and your first post ever is over nine years later as a trade idea? That's just awesome. :chuckles:

Getting back on topic...

Would much prefer they try and pry Horford away. I'm a fan of his for sure and I would like his fit here. Can knock down the open jumper, is athletic, good defender, good rebounder, and I think he's certainly worth the price tag (I think he's making 8 figures, can't remember what his exact salary is though).

Regardless, I don't see how Ferry deals with the Cavs period after the way things ended here four years ago, even if they want to eventually finally make the leap from being a treadmill team to getting to the next level.

Not sure why Millsap would be available.

Also back to back pectoral tears for Horford, and several years older than Love. No thanks. Not for the price Ferry is gonna exact.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes Paul Millsap is leaving Atlanta? They didn't draft him. They signed him in free agency....so why exactly do we assume he's not gonna be willing to re-sign there? Especially if they offer him the most money?

And unless we can actually trade for him, I'm not sure how we plan on getting him in the summer. If he duplicates what he did last season he's going to command MUCH more money than he's getting paid right now. We won't have the space.

Not sure why Millsap would be available. .

He isn't now and might not even be available a year from now but he is the type of guy we need to target if the Love situation fizzles out.

I thought about Millsap as well, but I figured Bennett provides basically the exact same function. Just a cheaper version with more potential.

isnt he a bit undersized ? can we bring in chuck hayes as a rim protector while we are at it

I thought about Millsap as well, but I figured Bennett provides basically the exact same function. Just a cheaper version with more potential.

Well that's one way to look at it. The other is a lesser quality player who doesn't help the goal of winning as much.

The LBJ, Kyrie, K-Love triumvirate will quickly put us in salary cap hell and make it difficult to get the pieces we need besides a lot of old men.

This has been my immediate concern for a while now. I just get the whole "too many stars, not enough support" feeling from it.

Last edited:
Not sure why Millsap would be available.

Also back to back pectoral tears for Horford, and several years older than Love. No thanks. Not for the price Ferry is gonna exact.

Major reason would be because he's only a two year player. That means only Early Bird rights, so the max offer to him next year is $12.3M.

Would we be willing to trade Bennett and the Haywood contract for Millsap? That gives Ferry a contract for next year and a younger version of Millsap that is under contract at a low rate for three seasons. Is it worth the risk to hope we can re-up Millsap, at least for a year until he goes full Bird? I'd prefer to try that over trading Wiggins and/or Waiters for Love.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."