• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

How do the Cavs get KJ McDaniels?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheISHT

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
I thought he signed a one year deal. We could attempt to sign him out right or I'd even contemplate trading Dion for him.

Would you give up anything of value for him in the off season or just try to sign outright? I think he could fit between Kyrie and LeBron.

I'd give up Dion Waiters for him straight up.

id give up dion in a second but philly would laugh

No, I think Philly would take Dion since he's from Philly and KJ will be unrestricted this Summer.

But, I think Dion is the better player right now.

No, I think Philly would take Dion since he's from Philly and KJ will be unrestricted this Summer.

But, I think Dion is the better player right now.

He won't be unrestricted.

And we wont have the cap space to outright sign him.

What is everyone's fascination with this guy? Serious question as I've never seen him nor the Sixers play. Just looking at his numbers, he does not look good.

What is everyone's fascination with this guy? Serious question as I've never seen him nor the Sixers play. Just looking at his numbers, he does not look good.

I was wondering the same thing. He doesn't really look that special to me. Just a decent role player.

I was wondering the same thing. He doesn't really look that special to me. Just a decent role player.
He's one of those super high upside players. Kind of has a Greek Freak Lite feel to him, in the sense that he's super athletic and is a multi tool player.

Kid can play multiple positions, shoots the three ball, can score, gets steals and can block at an insanely high rate.

In fact at the moment, with all the injuries, he's regarded in the top 3 or so to be a rookie of the year candidate.

He's never gonna be your go to guy. But as your 4th or lower option, he'll be insane.

A few of us were advocating for KJ before the draft.

That ship has sailed though...there's absolutely no reason for Philly to trade a young player like KJ. He will be restricted next summer so they can match any offer. The Sixers have tons of capspace so it's possible no other team will bother dare offer KJ an offer sheet that will be simply matched by Philly. The Cavs certainly won't be in a position to make a competitive offer.

IMO Cavs need to keep their eyes open for vet contributors willing to play their role in the mold of Corey Brewer, Wes Johnson, etc that can be acquired fairly cheaply in trade/free agency similar to how San Antonio put quality role playing vets around their stars. Unfortunately someone like KJ has that 'potential' label so a rebuilding team like Philly isn't going to let him go.

He won't be unrestricted.

And we wont have the cap space to outright sign him.

That's true. If the Cavs wanted to use the full MLE, they could take a shot at it, but:
1) Cavs probably don't want to use the full MLE to avoid triggering the hard cap at the apron
2) Philly could easily match the MLE if they wanted

That's true. If the Cavs wanted to use the full MLE, they could take a shot at it, but:
1) Cavs probably don't want to use the full MLE to avoid triggering the hard cap at the apron
2) Philly could easily match the MLE if they wanted

KJ is going command more than the MLE in my opinion.

Scouts were wrong about his ceiling. They thought he couldn't dribble. He still can't create his own shot but he's excelling at a position that's not necessarily deep in the NBA.

His energy, defense, and athleticism. He can become a true plus defender for many years to come in this league. Everyone here is looking for athleticism and length. You look on any roster and you see even benches of poor teams with young length and athleticsm while we have guys Harris and old man James Jones.

His offense has come crashing down to earth though. He shot 46%+ in his first 16 games but has shot 27% since then.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."