1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

IGN: PS4 Prototype Controller Leak

Discussion in 'Games & Gadgets' started by Stark, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Stark

Stark Keeping the Faith

2. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

4/10 Would not do.

3. Stark

Stark Keeping the Faith

It's likely to change a bit since it's in a prototype stage, but it looks really... fat.

4. bob2the2nd

bob2the2nd member 32

too sharp of knees, butter face.

would do drunk, and would say i did drunk

1 person likes this.
  5. melecoaze

melecoaze Faith In Breesus

There was nothing wrong with the old controller, no reason to change.

6. Walter White

Walter White Preview Team

Yea there is, the analog controllers are god awful. The plastic breaks on every single one I've used. Especially playing 2k where you are forced to push down on it alot. I hate that.

7. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

Outside of the sixaxis. Nothing has changed since ps1. Vibration was seen in some ps1 controllers and then wireless was possible with ps2. The controller will have minimal if any changes.

8. KB

KB NBA Starter

Xbox and Sony are both going to do things with the controller that will be similar to what the wi-u has...

The next generation of consoles is going to be terrible if the reports of required installs of games to the console HDD which locks that game to that one console are true I won't no part of it same if they go digital dl release and still require 60$ for a game.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jack Brickman

Aside from the fact that it was vastly inferior to the 360 controller, I guess.

This new one doesn't really look like it addresses the main problems with previous iterations, though.

10. kookoo

kookoo A year later

The PS3 controller is too fragile to me. Like if I throw it against a wall, I expect it to break. Not like my 360 controller. Microsoft did a great job with the upgrade from the original xbox controller (and even the s) ergonomically. If they can make another stride like that into the next gen, I don't care about the whole internet issue, I'm going Microsoft (phrasing).

11. KB

KB NBA Starter

Maybe you should just turn the thing off when it gets to that point. Because at that point what ever you're doing is no longer entertainment imo. Just a thought

1 person likes this.
  12. Jack Brickman

I don't really even see why Microsoft would change their controller design. It's basically perfect as-is.

The only thing they need to fix is the D-pad, which is total garbage. The fact that they haven't fixed it already is a joke.

13. MoneyMP3

MoneyMP3 Long Live The Idols

I hope this changes. It looks bad.

14. kookoo

kookoo A year later

Trying to be funny on the internet is really hit and miss. Most of my controllers go to battered women's shelters wayyy before it gets to that point.

1 person likes this.
  15. MoneyMP3

MoneyMP3 Long Live The Idols

Now if it was this,

[​IMG]

I'd be alright with it.

1 person likes this.
  16. JSS2306

JSS2306 NBA Starter

Right now it looks like one of those second hand madcatz controllers. I can't see the the L2 or R2 and I hope they turned those into triggers.

17. gourimoko

gourimoko Fighting the good fight!

I disagree 100%. To me, the DualShock controller is the best controller ever made. It's absolutely a dream to work with on almost all genres of games - except one. First Person Shooters.

As someone who played FPSes very seriously for several years, I will be the first to say that outside of a mouse/keyboard combo, nothing that I've ever used comes close to the 360 controller.

However, for racing games, fighting games, platformers, or jRPGs, there's simply no contest. The wireless by default PS3 controller (sixaxis for long stints) is a dream to play with.

At present, I don't game much, but when I do, I prefer a PS3 controller. (using motioninjoy via bluetooth).

I think the biggest 'problem' with the PS3 controller is found with 360 users who, like me, prefer the staggered thumbpads for FPSes. But most PS3-centric users that I know simply don't share that view and actually prefer the PS3 controller. I don't think it honestly has many flaws.

Requiring a cable to sync is a flaw IMO, however. Data should move through the cable when cabled as well. Other than that it works, and works very well..

2 people like this.
  18. Jack Brickman

Personally, I think the only genre that the PS3 controller is better for is fighting games, and that's obviously because the 360 controller's d-pad is a total piece of shit. For every other genre I'd rather use the 360 controller because it has the left stick in the right place and the button layout is generally better.

The 360 controller has a better feel to it. The DS3 is too light and flimsy and the controller itself is a bit too small.

19. gourimoko

gourimoko Fighting the good fight!

Here's a test, have you ever tried to play Super Mario World with a 360 controller? How about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, or Mega-Man? The D-Pad is useless, the buttons are way too fat and heavy giving too much feedback once depressed and generally have slow action. So to me, difficult platformers are much better on the PS3 controller.

Fighting games are a given in all respects.

jRPGs are games that are usually played hours on end. The lightweight SixAxis controller can be used and the analog stick has fairly little resistance allowing for extended game play. Games that have reconfigurable controls, or when playing on the PC, can be easily played single-handedly. I used to play Suikoden and Final Fantasy with one hand. Hell I can beat most people in Street Fighter single-handed on a PS3 controller.

For racing games, I much prefer the leveled and smooth analog sticks to the 360's staggered sticks. I've played Gran Turismo and Forza at length on both platforms, and without comparing the games themselves, I feel far more comfortable with the PS3 controller. Now, I'm sure much of that has to do with the fact that I've played every Gran Turismo to completion and I'm comfortable with the controls, but perhaps all this is really pretty subjective.

Suffice it to say, I think the 360 controller is really best for games where the primary mode of action is the dual analog layout with the triggers. Games requiring fast button presses would benefit from the SixAxis/DShock layout and style. Games requiring a D-Pad shouldn't be played on the 360 controller, which is a big issue for 2D games, platformers, menu driven games, and fighters.

Depends on what feel you're going for. I'd agree if I'm playing Halo. I'd be upset if playing Tekken.

DS3, to me, isn't light at all. The SixAxis is light, even somewhat flimsy. But they serve different purposes. I'd rather play with a SixAxis for all genres save racing, and for that I'd prefer the DS3. For a FPS I just the the PS3 controller isn't well suited, and since that's the primary genre today, I can understand why people don't care for the PS3 controller. If most of what you play is FPS, then you'd probably be better off with a 360 controller..

1 person likes this.
  20. JSS2306

JSS2306 NBA Starter

My problem with the D pad they are showing in the prototype is there is no space in the middle like the DS3. I don't know about you guys but I sort of use that space with my thumb as a "home base". Without that space I might be more liable to smash two buttons at once in tense moments causing me to go into a direction i don't necessarily want to go.