• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

JaMarcus Russell and the purple drank

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fudd

In the Rotation
Reaction score
MOBILE, Ala. -- Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell has been charged with possession of a controlled substance -- codeine syrup -- after being arrested at his home in Alabama on Monday, authorities said.

The 24-year-old former LSU star and the No. 1 draft choice in 2007 was arrested as part of an undercover narcotics investigation, said Mobile County Sheriff's spokeswoman Lori Myles. She would not say what led to his arrest. She said he did not have a prescription for the codeine.

Williamson: Not helping Russell's cause
The one thing JaMarcus Russell had going for him was he carried no apparent off-field baggage. That is no longer the case, writes Bill Williamson. Blog

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Russell, who graduated from high school in Mobile, was booked into the city jail and released soon afterward on $2,500 bond, online records show.

The Raiders released Russell, considered one of the NFL's biggest draft busts, in May after he won only seven of his 25 starts and was benched. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

Oakland paid Russell about $36.4 million through the 2009 season. Since the start of the common draft in 1967, only one other No. 1 pick was released this quickly in his NFL career. Indianapolis cut 1992 top pick Steve Emtman after three seasons, but that was more because of injuries than production.

Russell and his agent did not immediately return calls for comment.

And problems for JaMarcus Russell continue. I'm glad Savage didn't lose his mind and trade up for JR.

You think that he would of never ever thought of drinking that shit to get high if rappers didn't glorify it by drinking it in gold cups with jewels on it. Really sad. I was thinking, he is so big, he must have to drink a 1/2 gallon of the stuff to really start feeling anything, but if he is hooked on that its no wonder he could not mentally stay in the game.

I was just hearing rumors that the jets were into him, he was on the verge of getting back on track. Have fun playing in the arena league or cfl. booo

Prescription cough syrup, BFD. We're not talking about selling crack to kids on a school playground. Don't the cops have anything better to do?

Seems kinda weak to be busting in his house for that....Tough break homes

2iu8cvp.jpg

Rappers shouldn't affect people over the age of 18, when they are legally an ADULT.

I can't blame the rap community for this one.

And problems for JaMarcus Russell continue. I'm glad Savage didn't lose his mind and trade up for JR.

I'm glad Al Davis didn't do something rational for once and accept Savage's trade offer for the top pick.

Purple Syrup can cause serious negative effects on the body. I had a student show up to my first period on it two years ago and we had to call an ambulance.

Codeine Overdose

Codeine is an opiate derivative with anti-cough properties and the other active ingredient that makes this type of cough syrup sough after. The most popular purple colored and grape flavored version of this syrup has 60mg of codeine per liquid ounce making it one of the strongest codeine laced cough syrups. Codeine can enhance the effects of alcohol and in high doses have the same dangers and effects as morphine. It can cause respiratory depression which can lead to the potential fatal consequences of overdose. People can loss consciousness and have convulsions. Those with prior respiratory problems such as asthma face even higher risks. Codeine is considered toxic at 240 mg for adults. Another common side effect is the reduction in sex drive and increased complications with erectile dysfunction.

Addiction

As tolerance for the drugs builds, higher and higher doses are required to feel similar effects. In this cough syrup combination, promethazine can actually double the amount of codeine that affects the body. Furthermore, carbonated drinks make the body absorb even more by pushing it through the stomach lining to the part containing blood vessels.

The major danger of cough syrup abuse is the high potential for addiction. Like morphine or other opiates, regular consumption of codeine can result in chemical dependency. Taken over a period of time, the body's central nervous system will stop producing pain killers, or endorphins, naturally because it is receiving opiates instead. Then these inactive nerve cells degenerate and when the body no longer produces pain killers on its own, the addiction begins. When a user wants to quit, it often means a painful withdrawal period or an unpleasant medically supervised detox. Even then, relapse is always a danger without proper counseling and support.

Anything that slows down your reaction time is critically dangerous to an NFL quarterback, and explains why he was so slow to react when facing pressure or his primary receiver was well covered. I've also heard reports that he had trouble staying awake during film sessions, which may have been a side effect of his drug of choice.

The fact that the guy who invented the drink (DJ Screw) died from an overdose should tell you how dangerous this stuff is.

I'm glad Al Davis didn't do something rational for once and accept Savage's trade offer for the top pick.

Al Davis didnt even know who Jamarcus Russel was when he cut him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."