• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Jermaine O'Neal?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andrew

Master Debater
Reaction score
Reports on Real GM say the Cavaliers are amongst the teams that covet his services if he decides to return. Me? Cavs need to get a younger big man, not someone who is almost on year 20 in the league. I would only relegate adding another veteran if its Allen because he is still in better shape than everyone not named LeBron James on this squad...

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...nuary;-Cavs-Clippers-Mavs-Warriors-Interested

The point is there are no younger ones available to sign.

The point is there are no younger ones available to sign.
then don't go after them to begin with if all you will get from someone like O'Neal is a haywood role where he only gets time in blowouts.

Jermaine O'Neal is much better than Haywood though.

Ideally you would go for a younger rim-protector but if you can't get any good ones, its better to go for someoen like Jermaine O'Neal for the short term and get a good rim-protector in summer free agency.

if the cavs can get jon for the vet min there is no reason to say no. two of the cavs top three bigs have not played a single minute in the playoffs. ever. and the third is super injury prone. that is not good. if they can add an experienced, net-positive big essentially for free, they do it, period.

not that confident he'd pick the cavs over the alternatives, though.

Last edited:
If the Cavs think he has more to offer than Haywood, sure. He's just a guy who helps fill a whole on the roster down the stretch this season. His age is immaterial if he can contribute a bit. You'd think he would pick another team though.

If the Cavs manage to get another wing, I'd prefer a younger one. Someone who might stay a couple of years. Say, Corey Brewer's age (28/29) or younger. The team obviously could use some more length and athleticism on the perimeter.

I didn't see him last year, but he looked done 4 years ago to me.

I seriously wish the Cavs could pick up Oneil, Oakafor, and Ray Ray for a championship run. We need depth.

I'd waive Kirk, Price, and Admunson to make room. You can't tell me those 3 old dudes wouldn't help us more than them.

I seriously wish the Cavs could pick up Oneil, Oakafor, and Ray Ray for a championship run. We need depth.

I'd waive Kirk, Price, and Admunson to make room. You can't tell me those 3 old dudes wouldn't help us more than them.

of course they would but apparently none of those guys want to join a team right now. we have to wait a little longer...

I'm betting we at least get 2/3 in Jan/Feb after the holidays.

I didn't see him last year, but he looked done 4 years ago to me.

I thought so as well but when I watched him the last two years he's always been solid to better on defense. The GotBuckets RAPM also shows he's been a positive on D. Doesn't have the lift he used but he's knows where to beat and times his jump well and he's still got good length. The word on the street is he tanked it a bit with the Celtics a few years ago when he looked washed up (Rivers holds a grudge against him for this.)

I'd very happy to add JO personally. 10 minutes of good defense is at the C spot could easily be the difference between a title and getting knocked out with the way our team is constructed

I'm still intrigued by Biyombo. The Hornets can't play him because he shares the same position as Big Al and they don't have nearly enough shooting to play both of them together. He's long, rebounds well when he's in there, and doesn't do anything stupid from what I saw against the Cavs. We know he can block shots.

Would love to see if we can get him with a trade exemption and some second round picks since he's likely gone anyway from Charlotte after this year. Too bad we don't have second round picks :chuckle:

Considering Mavs traded their only good big man apart from Dirk and Chandler, I am quite sure Cuban would ultimately rope him in for the Mavs. Would be a good back-up for Tyson Chandler.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."