• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Jersey Changes Coming: ~April 2015

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soda

Listen To The Kids!
Reaction score
Grossi may be a bitter old man, but he does a pretty good job of informing us what is coming down the pike for jersey changes...

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns be the first team in the league to incorporate a sponsor onto the jersey.

Here's why it now will take until 2015 for the Browns to introduce new uniforms
By Tony Grossi

New duds are coming: During NFL owners meetings last week in Phoenix, the Browns committed not only to changing their uniforms but also to consider every facet of the team’s marketing brand.

They key word in the above paragraph is consider. They will consider new colors, which may end up being new shades of brown and orange – or something altogether different. They will consider a new secondary logo, something different from the block B inside a football shape.

For the next two years – yes, it will take that long – the Browns will work closely with NFL marketing and Nike on an apparel makeover. They are now engaged in a 24-month process, the likes of which the Browns’ franchise has never undergone.

Everything is on the table to be discussed except for one thing.

“I will say there will be no change to the helmet,” owner Jimmy Haslam said exclusively to ESPN Cleveland. “But we will look at everything else. We may change a lot. We may change a little.”

When Haslam initiated the process for a uniform change, he had in his mind minor tweaks to the traditional white-on-white and brown-on-white ensembles. Minor changes, done without market research, would have resulted in a 12-month process overseen by NFL marketing. He thought the new uniforms would be ready for the 2014 season.

But after further consultation with the league, Haslam decided to go through the more extensive, 24-month process recommended by experts in the field of brand marketing.

“I think we’ll have a better idea of what we want to do after that,” Haslam said. “This allows you to change anything you want. That doesn’t mean we will. I want to be perfectly clear about that. We just want to get a lot of input from our fans and take our time with it. Because you can do it only every five years.”

Why a uniform change takes two years: The only ownership committee on which Haslam sits is the business ventures committee. A key member of the league’s business ventures management team is Mark Waller, who has been the NFL’s chief marketing officer the past seven years.

Waller supervises every team’s application for uniform and branding change. He said at any given period, three to four teams may be involved in the 24-month process to update their look. He termed the significance of the undertaking “huge.”

“Ultimately, (the uniform is) the expression of the club and the brand the fan is most familiar with,” Waller said. “They wear them. They buy them. And it’s the strongest identity they have other than the game itself. So it’s a hugely important piece of work. And from the league perspective, our league rules are you can only change once every five years. So you’ve got to get it right.”

So why does it take 24 months to come up with a new uniform style and/or logo?

“We really want to make sure if you’re going through a significant change that fans are going to notice, you get fan input on it,” Waller said. “So there’s a research period, a couple of months. We work with the team. We provide the team with some background experience on best research techniques, but it’s conducted by the team in their market with their fans, and they’ll decide do they do just season ticket holders or also single game buyers, do they want to involve sponsors, or not?”

The Browns are currently in this phase of the project.

“We’ll then sit down with the club and the ownership, all of the club’s key personnel and kind of get their input and also compare what they want with what fans are saying,” Waller said. “You say you want to change from X to Y. The fans are actually here. So how do we manage that difference?

“We do the research … on the club brand and what it stands for. That alone is a six- to nine-month piece of work. Then you go to start design briefs and develop potential logos. If you change colors and logo, you’ve actually got to do material testing because there are some colors now that have never been used before. If a club comes up with a color that isn’t part of our uniform palette, you have to see if you can manufacture it. Can you do it to the quality standards required? So it adds a whole extra time period if you’re using a color that’s never been used before.”

Designs are sketched in Portland, Ore., by Nike, the league’s official apparel manufacturer. At some point, Nike presents three to five uniform options. They are simulated on a screen to make sure numerals are easily readable and any striping does not blend together on TV.

“It’ll be interesting in the Cleveland work to see how open fans are to explore it,” Waller said. ““I think the passion of the fan base has a huge bearing on the work that you do. The more passionate and deep rooted the fan base is, the stronger

Waller has input in every uniform change; he has 25 years experience in branding and marketing with global companies such as Guinness, and then United Distillers, handling marketing for Johnnie Walker, Dewars and Tanqueray brands. Ultimately, the decision rests with Haslam and his inner circle of CEO Joe Banner and President Alec Scheiner.

Jazz it up: When the Browns were reborn as an expansion franchise in 1999, the effort was made to connect it as closely as possible to the bedrock franchise made famous by Paul Brown. Same name, same colors, and all that.

But at some point, I felt the NFL openly encouraged the Browns to change their uniform, ostensibly to spur stagnant sales of club merchandise. The drab white and brown colors are either loved by the traditionalists or hated by the younger generation. A poll I conducted last year in the locker room indicated players respected the old uniforms but preferred a new look.

“Definitely since I’ve been (with the NFL) we’ve never encouraged them,” Waller said. “This has absolutely came out of the ownership and that’s their desire.”

Haslam said he has “no idea” how extensive the uniform changes will entail. He’s open to anything, including merely subtle changes. He anticipates the rollout of the new look to be a major event.

“Hopefully it will generate a lot of excitement right around the time of the 2015 draft,” Haslam said.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=14911

I think we should all be glad that they are going through the process that allows the most fan input.

Also, I'm pretty sure that bolded statement was saying whether they want sponsor input on how the jerseys look. Not whether they want to put actual sponsor logos on the jerseys themselves.

I'm OK with this. I do like our helmets, so I'm glad those will be staying the same. I'm excited to see what direction this goes. I can't imagine there is a lot you can do with our colors and lack of a primary logo. I suppose that is what this is about though - establishing a strong primary logo with which fans can identify.

Hopefully they don't use the same people that designed the Cavs.

I've seen a handful of great designs on this site.

Hopefully there are Browns people that give us a look. ;)

This was the "insider access" he tweeted about last night? LOL this guy is worthless

This was the "insider access" he tweeted about last night? LOL this guy is worthless

I actually find this being very insightful. I had no idea this was going to be presented in 2015 (originally thought 2014). Plus learning that teams can change uniforms only every 5 years, also a two-year researching period comes into play - those points were new to me.

With that being said, can't wait to see what unrolls. I personally believe that we actually need a new overhaul of colors, branding and logos due to the fact that we've been horrible since our return in 1999.

Time to give our football team a new look, new identity and new outlook on the sport.

I think we should all be glad that they are going through the process that allows the most fan input.

Also, I'm pretty sure that bolded statement was saying whether they want sponsor input on how the jerseys look. Not whether they want to put actual sponsor logos on the jerseys themselves.

Pretty sure you're correct about the sponsor comment. They aren't thinking about putting logos and stuff on the jersey, they were talking about getting input about uni changes from the sponsors.

If changing the helmets is altogether off the table, how much can possibly be changed in terms of colors/shades. Pretty confident the colors won't change at all. I would love to see the helmets go either metallic/candy orange or a matte finish orange. Would that be considered a change to the helmets?

I would not be opposed to changing absolutely everything. The Cleveland Browns have been losers for all I know. I don't care about tradition. Does anyone outside of Cleveland actually enjoy the Brown and Orange?

If changing the helmets is altogether off the table, how much can possibly be changed in terms of colors/shades. Pretty confident the colors won't change at all. I would love to see the helmets go either metallic/candy orange or a matte finish orange. Would that be considered a change to the helmets?

I wouldn't be so sure. I wouldn't have ever anticipated the Seahawks having one of the top designs/colorways in the NFL, but a slight change in shades and a mix in of the alternate lime green has turned that jersey into a pretty popular commodity.

It is in Nike's hands, now. They're going to want to try to find a way to make Browns gear more desirable to wear. Going to be tough if they stick to the plain orange, brown and white shades that they have now.

I would not be opposed to changing absolutely everything. The Cleveland Browns have been losers for all I know. I don't care about tradition. Does anyone outside of Cleveland actually enjoy the Brown and Orange?

I knew plenty of people in South Carolina that liked the Browns uniforms. I'd hear people say that the colors really work for football season. Then again, for every person I knew that liked the Browns uniforms, I found two that would make fun of them (poop jokes and orange helmets for a team called the Browns...haven't heard those before).

I think the Browns uniforms are perfect the way they are. Just bring back both the brown and the orange pants so we can see a little more variety.

I've been saying a flat orange finish to the helmets would look awesome. I think Virginia Tech when flat black a while ago. It's a really cool look, and it would be unique to the league.

Who cares about them?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."