• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

John DeFilippo - Browns OC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ_

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Charlie Weis also being mentioned.

I want Trestman but I'd really like someone who runs the ZBS offense

I want Trestman but I'd really like someone who runs the ZBS offense

Trestman/Kromer had a lot of success running Forte out of the ZBS

Edit: Jeremy Fowler tweeted that Andy Moeller is planning to be in CLE again next year. With the rumored OC candidates and a ZBS devotee staying on as OL coach, it's looking like we'll retain a similar scheme.

Last edited:
What type of O does Trestman run? I don't think we ever saw it run to what it could be in Chicago as they were a train wreck. Is he more of a vertical passing with dump offs to the RB's?

Correct me if I am wrong but for the 1-2 Chicago games I watched this year it seemed like quick throws/slants, with a few long shots. When you have Forte, you knew they were going to throw to him too (can we do that here??) I don't know how many times it looked like Forte was going to stay in backfield then ran up through the line and was wide open.

I just want someone that can throw the damn ball without staring his WR down from the get go. And that style of offense will not work if we don't have a accurate QB. Must be able to bobble your head around and see the 1-2 open men quick and get the ball over the DL.

That play can work and all, especially since our OLine was better (without Mack even)..but it's hard.

The conservative play here is Matt Cavanaugh, but I think I'm supporting the brash candidate: John Defilippo.

Cavanaugh is a lifer who played under Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. among others. If you ignore his humbling years on the Dave Wannstedt Pitt staff that didn't do much of anything, he has the resume to be an OC. He is a pro.

DeFilippo is young, really came out of nowhere as a college coach. His work with David Carr throughout the year with the Raiders should be turning heads. Somehow the Raiders got better throughout the season despite being under an interim head coach. He seems close to Pettine, who has my trust.

It's hard to find the silver lining in all this...

DeFilippo would be interesting, he's a Youngstown guy as well.

But yes, clear step down from Kyle Shanahan.

All hyperboles aside, is there a less attractive coaching job in professional sports that's currently open?

What type of O does Trestman run? I don't think we ever saw it run to what it could be in Chicago as they were a train wreck. Is he more of a vertical passing with dump offs to the RB's?

It's WCO based, but it's not traditional like Shurmur. It's an aggressive, up-tempo paced attack with a lot of motion. Shotgun heavy rhythm passing.

Let's make sure to list every old-school, deep-rooted NFL relic.

Perfect pairing with Manziel....

Most obvious impending disaster I can remember from a coaching perspective.

Let's make sure to list every old-school, deep-rooted NFL relic.

Perfect pairing with Manziel....

Most obvious impending disaster I can remember from a coaching perspective.

That is what makes the search so difficult to discuss. The OC will be expected to groom Manziel to start, not unlike an alchemist getting hired to turn lead into gold. If I already know lead can't turn into gold, where does that leave the hiring process?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."