• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Justin Anderson | SG/SF | Virginia

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Deal

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He'll be an realistic option around our draft selection, he can be looked at as a possible backup for LeBron. 6'6, 230, and a 6'11 wingspan, also 21 years of age.

Attended a few LeBron camps, so he is probably aware of the kid.

Averaged 12 points, 4 rebounds, and shot +45% from inside and out. Not much of a scorer, only took 8 shoots a game, but his leaping ability, defense, ability to run floor is all intriguing at where we are selecting if some guys don't come our way. He's also ranked 23 in top 100 prospects. Not bad.

“I want to be able to be that guy that does it all,” Anderson said. “It’s a new wave of players that’s doing that at a high level; [Golden State’s] Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard...those guys can guard multiple positions but knock down open jumpers and get better on the offensive end as the years go on.

I read a report where his defensive peak is Tony Allen, but with a jump shot. I can see Memphis being really happy with him at 25.

If he's truly good at defense, I think he could be a great pick. The fact he can make a shot could separate him from Hollis Jefferson. But Anderson also has much more athleticism than I thought. Could definitely be a Danny Green type.

I'm sure Joe Harris will put in a good word for him.

If he's truly good at defense, I think he could be a great pick. The fact he can make a shot could separate him from Hollis Jefferson. But Anderson also has much more athleticism than I thought. Could definitely be a Danny Green type.

I'm sure Joe Harris will put in a good word for him.
Agreed. We'll learn much more throughout the process, but he's a not a terrible last resort. Teams do want him behind us, he has every bit of talent to be a 3 and Defense guy. Just gotta hope he's a hit.

4.5 weeks out, I think he is my number 1 realistic choice. I would not be shocked if he turned into Iman Shumpert 2.0, or hell absolute base case in 4 years Jimmy Butler. Remember everyone thought Butler would be a 8th or 9th guy in a rotation.

I was looking at the Hawks forums to see how made they were about Delly...

And I saw how much everyone loved Justin Anderson and how they would consider taking him with the 15th pick. Of course they said Oubre was their first choice, but they loved Justin Anderson more it seemed.

The more I hear about this guy, the more I want him. My love for Hollis Jefferson has cooled way off the more I researched Anderson. Grant would probably be my first choice, but no way he makes it to our pick. So Justin Anderson is my new first choice for now. I'm starting to wonder if he will even fall to us though.

To be honest I'd be ok with picking him, but I might like RHJ and Upshaw more. I see a lot of Alonzo Gee in Anderson, but Anderson is a better shooter and has a higher basketball IQ. He'll never be a star but he could be a great role player, which is all we can really ask for in the late first round.

Andersons shot has come a long way and he seems to know what will allow him to stick in the NBA. He has some upside offensively as well, his mechanics on the strong hand step back are really impressive.

To be honest I'd be ok with picking him, but I might like RHJ and Upshaw more. I see a lot of Alonzo Gee in Anderson, but Anderson is a better shooter and has a higher basketball IQ. He'll never be a star but he could be a great role player, which is all we can really ask for in the late first round.

Getting a good shooting Alonzo Gee at 24? Count me in.

I made a post about him back in December

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/2015-nba-draft.44021/page-3

He could be a very good rotational player with much upside, especially in today's NBA landscape of "positionless" basketball as exemplified by LeBron and the Golden State Warriors.

• He has an impressive vertical (38" no step [highest at the combine] and 43" max)
  • He has a pretty lengthy wingspan (6'11.75")
  • He is fast (tied for 4th fastest shuttle run)
  • He is strong and well built
  • He is older and more ready to play as a rookie
  • He learned the concept of team defense at Virgina
  • He is a good competitor and leader
I can eventually see him guarding the 2, 3, and stretch 4 spots in the NBA, all the while being able to knock down open threes.

I also like Hollis-Jefferson (good wingspan, 2nd in lane agility, decent vertical). I think Pat Connaughton could surprise people. He's a big leaper (second highest no-step vertical), agile (sixth in lane agility) who is a deadly shooter. Upshaw could become a force if he ever gets motivated to become a true professional.

Overall, this is a deep draft in which a team can find a rotational player all the way down the draft.

I made a post about him back in December

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/2015-nba-draft.44021/page-3

He could be a very good rotational player with much upside, especially in today's NBA landscape of "positionless" basketball as exemplified by LeBron and the Golden State Warriors.

• He has an impressive vertical (38" no step [highest at the combine] and 43" max)
  • He has a pretty lengthy wingspan (6'11.75")
  • He is fast (tied for 4th fastest shuttle run)
  • He is strong and well built
  • He is older and more ready to play as a rookie
  • He learned the concept of team defense at Virgina
  • He is a good competitor and leader
I can eventually see him guarding the 2, 3, and stretch 4 spots in the NBA, all the while being able to knock down open threes.

I also like Hollis-Jefferson (good wingspan, 2nd in lane agility, decent vertical). I think Pat Connaughton could surprise people. He's a big leaper (second highest no-step vertical), agile (sixth in lane agility) who is a deadly shooter. Upshaw could become a force if he ever gets motivated to become a true professional.

Overall, this is a deep draft in which a team can find a rotational player all the way down the draft.
Yep. We have a really good chance of getting a solid rotational player with decent upside at our draft slot. I'm liking Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Robert Upshaw, and Justin Anderson at our draft slot. I think RHJ and Anderson are great fits for this team moving forward and would immediately fill needs. With Upshaw, I'm very enticed by his potential - the kind of potential you don't usually see in the late first round - but I also recognize that his personal issues are giant red flags.

Our big rotation is already solid, but for me, if there's a clear best player available, you take him instead of the best fit. I'm fairly confident that LBJ would be able to get Upshaw in line, like he's done with JR, but it's still a risk. In 5 years, I think Upshaw will either be a top 10 center and of the best rim protectors in the league…or he won't be in the league at all….

Truth be told, if Griffin takes any one of RHJ, Anderson, and Upshaw, I will be satisfied.

Start up this train, this is my pick and I'm sticking to it.

He'd be a guy that will receive some type of minutes. Possibly a steal.

I like him because I think we absolutely need a player who can hit an open 3. Don't take anyone whose jump shot is a total project, like RHJ. I got a lifetime's worth of missed open jumpers watching this finals.

Of course his shot just came around this year, hopefully it sticks. He wasn't such a good shooter his first few years at UVA

Ive seen him play together with Joe Harris in some of the highlight videos. Does anyone know how they played together? Is he the same mold of Harris a 2-3? Or is he bigger, more of a 3-4?

I do like him, and his interviews depict the highest character from any that ive seen. I just worry he replicates much of what Harris is/projected to be.

Ive seen him play together with Joe Harris in some of the highlight videos. Does anyone know how they played together? Is he the same mold of Harris a 2-3? Or is he bigger, more of a 3-4?

I do like him, and his interviews depict the highest character from any that ive seen. I just worry he replicates much of what Harris is/projected to be.
Faster more athletic and a much better leaper then Harris. Only thing they have in common are handles and ability to shoot 3. Anderson can defend NBA swingmen, that Harris struggles with.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."