1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

LA Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by Nightperson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nightperson

Nightperson In the Rotation

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
    Says one source of LA Times report that Mike D'Antoni will coach Lakers: "Yes ... just happened."

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
    Also, according to LA Times' @Mike_Bresnahan, D'Antoni will get 4-year deal from Lakers.

Awful hire, should have gave Phil Jackson the farm.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AMC

AMC Mmhmm.

Have fun losing in the first round for the next 4 years, LA.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thunder

Thunder Redemption

What a twist.

4. David.

David. .

What a mistake. But these are the same guys that hired Mike Brown.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

This actually might work.

Offensively this team should be really really good.

Defense I don't think will be the issue it has been in other D'antoni stops because Dwight/Kobe/Artest are good defenders, and won't allow that team to turn into Phoenix.

All I know is Phil must have been asking for $15 million a year, because had his price even been reasonable he would be coaching this team.

He was making $12 million his last stint, and given the situation you know he was looking for more than that since he figured he had the team over a barrel.

Next to Phil, the D'antoni hire has Kobe's approval I am sure because I know he is a big fan of his.

At least Nash will finally be used right as he looked miserable in Mike Brown's system.

6. Nightperson

Nightperson In the Rotation

Gasol and MWP don't fit at all, Amare watch for the Lakers upcoming.

7. Tlyons

Tlyons Sixth Man

We're gonna keep hanging on to this notion that Kobe is still a good defender?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

Night in night out in the regular season....No.

Come the playoffs when a series gets tight, he is still a good defender when he has to be.

If anything that should improve itself since he won't have to carry the Lakers offensively the way he has the past few seasons now that he has some help.

9. Clevelandfan15

Clevelandfan15 Sports Guru

You don't fire Mike Brown for Mike Dantoni. Phil Jackson yes, Mike Dantoni no. They say its a 4 year deal, but we will see how long he lasts. Regardless it should be fun.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

It is being reported as 3 yr/12million with team option for 4th year.

Nash is up in 3 years not coincidentally.

Sounds about right.

This hire was all about Steve Nash, and trying to get some productivity out of him as it wasn't happening with Mike Brown.

When you have a veteran team you have to bring in a coach they want to deal with, and if nothing else MD fits that mold. Whether it works or not who knows, but there will be no Kobe death stares at him which is progress from where they were a few days ago.

11. CavsRules

CavsRules Get Boobied'

It makes sense to a degree. Offensively they have the most talent in the league, and D'Antoni has been successful on the offensive side of the ball. He re-joins Steve Nash, which had to be a solid selling point.

L.A already has invested everything into this season, I would have went above and beyond to get Phil Jackson back into the fold.

But, we'll see how it goes..

12. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

I would normally agree, but from what is coming out Phil wanted to be able to skip certain road trips and have his hand picked successor coach those games, as well as have significant say over personnel.

Couple those demands with wanting a reported $12-15 million a year salary and it just sounds like it was a bridge too far.

The travel restrictions thing to me would have been the dealbreaker. You have to be there every night to coach the team, and if that was even a question in his mind then his heart clearly wasn't in it and he was just looking for a big payday.

13. Birdy89

Birdy89 Sixth Man

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 51
  14. JMcCurry08

JMcCurry08 NBA Starter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe Bryant's quote on Mike D'Antoni after Friday's game: "I love D’Antoni and what he brings." Loves Phil, but D'Antoni, too.</p>&mdash; Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/267913568123498497" data-datetime="2012-11-12T08:55:46+00:00">November 12, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

so MDA is gonna try to run his offense on a team that lacks shooters, spacing, and athleticism/youth. good luck.

• Like Like x 6
  16. cavsfanclanman

cavsfanclanman In the Rotation

So they went from a coach who only knew defense to a coach who only knows offense? Speaking of which, has D'Antoni even been more successful than Brown?

• Like Like x 14
  17. Tlyons

Tlyons Sixth Man

MD has had much mOre talent then MB with less results. But he was in the west playing against some really tough teams. MB should never have been hired by the lake show in the first place. But firing him for MD might not be the smartest thing they could have done. MD needs youth and shooters (as mentioned by previous poster) and the lakers don't have that.

18. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

Actually I like this hire. Hard to argue with Phil Jackson's success, but I will. I think the Lakers are already too far into the season to switch to the triangle offense which Phil is so famous for. I know Kobe, MWP and Gasol all know the offense but Nash and Howard do not. Given Howard's mental aptitude I have serious doubts about him picking it up. Also the Triangle offense minimizes the role of a PG, with Steve Nash, why would they want to do that? I don't think that's the best system for them to run right now.

D'Antoni's system is 1 step above street ball. Get out and run and forget about defense. All these players know how to run D'Antoni's system, it's been every coach in their entire life that's tried to teach it out of them. I think the transition will be much smoother than you think. I also think they will be extremely fun to watch and very dangerous. They are going to play games that make their opponents out score them. Try out scoring a team of Kobe, Nash, Howard and Gasol. The major concern I have with it, are they in the right physical condition to do this on a night in and night out basis? They may be able to sustain it for part of the season but come the end of the season and in the playoffs, will they be out of gas?

19. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

Im not seeing anywhere that states the Lakers Choose D'antonio over Jackson. in fact it looks like he was their 2nd job. The only other real option if he was willing to come was Jerry Sloan.

Jackson may have not wanted the job and only spoke to the lakers as a courtesy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  20. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

They apparently interviewed Mike Dunleavy. Just wow there. Sloan went on record saying he wasn't contacted by the Lakers nor did he think he would be.