• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Length Reduction : A Slimmer Game is a Better Game?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stick

All-Star
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/10/14/...s-vs-brooklyn-nets/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

"At our recent coaches' meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format," said NBA President, Basketball Operations Rod Thorn. "After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths."

I think before they do this to regular season, we would likely be seeing 44-minute preseason games throughout the entirety of the preseason. Which, isn't a bad idea, since the main players play limited minutes anyways. However, I wouldn't like to see this in the regular season. But who knows? With another adjust to the shot clock, stats would probably remain relatively close.

It could impact stats. It would probably impact pace. Would that help prevent more injuries, or increase injuries? What of the developing rookies?

What do you think?

The league already has what seems like the shortest professional game, you don't shave off a minute a quarter. You eliminate time out lengths and half time

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Why don't we just shorten it to a 30 minute game that way teams don't even need a bench and the starters can just play the full game every time.

But seriously, I'd rather see the season shortened a few games before I see the length of the games shortened.

My only concern about this would be the discrepancy in player stats before the change and after the change. It'll definitely make a difference over time.

I agree, but this is never going to happen. Not sure why they're even bothering.

I do like the concept of 1 free throw counting for more points. Like count as 1 2 or 3 depending on type of foul

I agree, why shorten the time, find ways to speed up game play. Shorter time outs, shorter half time, more 30 sec time outs less full time outs. Lets me honest we all enjoy basketball, but the first 3 quarters mean little, the action is in the 4th. Find a way to get it her quicker and you will be good.

So stupid how bout you give less time outs in the last 2 min that alone will cut 10min out the game. If anyone watched fiba this year you saw in close games there wasn't a timeout after every play and it flowed perfectly.

Seems like a terrible idea...teams will run 7-8 man rotations during the regular season, and could potentially cut that down to a 6-man rotation in the playoffs depending on the positional versatility of their players (each player would have to play 36-37 minutes, which is very doable). The result would be that we get the same amount of wear and tear on the league's stars, dozens of players who are currently in the back end of team rotations would be reduced to minimum salary benchwarmers, and rookies would have an even harder time than they do now scraping out minutes.

There was a good point on Grantland a few weeks ago:

Sure, people keep talking about eliminating timeouts, cutting down on free throws, cutting out the high fives between free throws. But this game is extremely tiring to the players playing it. They use those little moments to catch their breath and get some rest.

You keep shaving off those little breaks they get, you get sloppier play and less interesting basketball.

There was a good point on Grantland a few weeks ago:

Sure, people keep talking about eliminating timeouts, cutting down on free throws, cutting out the high fives between free throws. But this game is extremely tiring to the players playing it. They use those little moments to catch their breath and get some rest.

You keep shaving off those little breaks they get, you get sloppier play and less interesting basketball.

Absolutely. You might see more injuries giving them less of a break.

I think if they are worried about injuries shaving while games from the schedule is the way to go.

Less games isn't even a possibility. No major sports league is ever going to lower the number of games. It can only go up.

I do like the concept of 1 free throw counting for more points. Like count as 1 2 or 3 depending on type of foul

I hate that, honestly. It completely changes end of game strategy. Plus how long does it take to shoot another free throw...like 10 seconds? It wouldn't shorten the game enough to make a significant difference.

I agree with everyone else, they need to eliminate some of the timeouts and maybe some of the TV timeouts as well.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."