• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Lockhead ( Skunkworks) Claims Fusion Breakthrough

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KB

NBA Starter
Reaction score
This could be awesome if viable, hopefully it's viable and I don't think the Skunkworks portion of Lockhead would jump the gun on a claim of this nature

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lockheed-claims-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy1/

Lockheed Claims Breakthrough on Fusion Energy
October 15, 2014

By Andrea Shalal

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready in a decade.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready in a decade.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now going public to find potential partners in industry and government for their work.

Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a 100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet, which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire said.

In recent years, Lockheed, the Pentagon's top supplier, has been increasingly involved in a variety of alternate energy projects, including several ocean energy projects, as it looks to offset a decline in U.S. and European military spending.

Lockheed's fusion energy project could help in developing new power sources amid increasing global conflicts over energy, and as projections show there will be a 40 percent to 50 percent increase in energy use over the next generation, McGuire told reporters.

If it proves feasible, Lockheed's work would mark a key breakthrough in a field that scientists have long eyed as promising, but which has not yet yielded viable power systems. The effort seeks to harness the energy released during nuclear fusion, when atoms combine into more stable forms.

"We can make a big difference on the energy front," McGuire said, noting Lockheed's 60 years of research on nuclear fusion as a potential energy source that is safer and more efficient than current reactors based on nuclear fission.

Lockheed sees the project as part of a comprehensive approach to solving global energy and climate change problems. Compact nuclear fusion would also produce far less waste than coal-powered plants, and future reactors could eliminate radioactive waste completely, the company said.

McGuire said the company had several patents pending for the work and was looking for partners in academia, industry and among government laboratories to advance the work.

Lockheed said it had shown it could complete a design, build and test it in as little as a year, which should produce an operational reactor in 10 years, McGuire said. A small reactor could power a U.S. Navy warship, and eliminate the need for other fuel sources that pose logistical challenges.

U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers run on nuclear power, but they have large fusion reactors on board that have to be replaced on a regular cycle.

"What makes our project really interesting and feasible is that timeline as a potential solution," McGuire said.

(Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Sounds cool, but I'm always skeptical of these kind of announcements, like the one saying that the Second Law of Thermodynamics wasn't valid. Anyway, saw this posted somewhere and thought it was amusing:

researcher_translation.png

Sounds cool, but I'm always skeptical of these kind of announcements, like the one saying that the Second Law of Thermodynamics wasn't valid. Anyway, saw this posted somewhere and thought it was amusing:

researcher_translation.png

I'm usually skeptical of Fusion announcements myself but you do understand what the Skunkworks group is right?

Skunkworks the is the lab that develops half the tech for Darpa and has access to tech that is years if not decades away from releasing to the general public (above comic is very accurate in that regard lol)

If it would have been a different group or company I probably would have overlooked it and not posted but since it's the Skunkworks lab it's very, very valid. Since they are saying they can have one bulit and operational in under a year it is a very welcome surprise in regard to the end of the old fossil fuels to power plants, if it pans out as well as they hope it does.

Who wants to bet that they were testing this in the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle that landed after a 22 month orbit the day before they announced this?

I'm usually skeptical of Fusion announcements myself but you do understand what the Skunkworks group is right?

Skunkworks the is the lab that develops half the tech for Darpa and has access to tech that is years if not decades away from releasing to the general public (above comic is very accurate in that regard lol)

If it would have been a different group or company I probably would have overlooked it and not posted but since it's the Skunkworks lab it's very, very valid. Since they are saying they can have one bulit and operational in under a year it is a very welcome surprise in regard to the end of the old fossil fuels to power plants, if it pans out as well as they hope it does.

Who wants to bet that they were testing this in the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle that landed after a 22 month orbit the day before they announced this?

I actually agree with you. This wasn't just some team of researchers -- it's Lockheed and Skunkworks. And, to their credit, their claim isn't over the top. A 100MW reactor in 10 years is a measured prediction, though I'd still guess it's a bit further than that. And, it's fun posting this kind of stuff anyway even if it doesn't pan out.

I just liked the cartoon and wanted a chance to use it.

I refuse to react until I read a Gouri breakdown.

Honestly that is half the reason I posted it, curious to see what he has to say about the research that Skunkworks is currently doing in this field and these claims.

There is this policy on Helium that makes me believe that this is true. Despite the fact that most of the earth's Helium has escaped in to space so far, and the United States controls close to 100% of it, the policy on Helium sales has been, "Sell it all off."

Helium is absolutely important beyond filling party balloons. Liquid helium is cooled to 4 Kelvin or 4 degrees above absolute 0. It is absolutely vital in the performance of superconducting materials. If super conducting magnets don't get their liquid helium they lose their charge, and things like NMR machines and MRI machines don't work. These machines are super important to the medical and science communities and with the way lobbying works, I don't see how congress would continue to push artificially low Helium prices and continue to sell Helium to the public so it can just escape into space after the party is over. Helium is not held on earth like most gases are by the ionosphere, so when it gets in the air most of it leaves earth. Recapturing the small amount in the atmosphere is prohibitively expensive.

With fusion you get lots of Helium as a "waste" product, so if it was known that this was coming, there would not be as much concern over the Helium supply dwindling like it has. I know some states do not allow Helium use for anything but Medical or scientific purposes. Iowa has such laws. Helium balloons are illegal there. Now obviously many policies are counter intuitive and downright stupid, but the medical community has enough reason to want to restrict the use of Helium and enough power to do so that I think they would do so if it wasn't known this was coming.

Also, the fact that shale oil and refineries are going gangbusters right now, and the price of oil is dropping says to me that our dependence on oil is close to an end, and they are trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of that lemon.

There is this policy on Helium that makes me believe that this is true. Despite the fact that most of the earth's Helium has escaped in to space so far, and the United States controls close to 100% of it, the policy on Helium sales has been, "Sell it all off."

Helium is absolutely important beyond filling party balloons. Liquid helium is cooled to 4 Kelvin or 4 degrees above absolute 0. It is absolutely vital in the performance of superconducting materials. If super conducting magnets don't get their liquid helium they lose their charge, and things like NMR machines and MRI machines don't work. These machines are super important to the medical and science communities and with the way lobbying works, I don't see how congress would continue to push artificially low Helium prices and continue to sell Helium to the public so it can just escape into space after the party is over. Helium is not held on earth like most gases are by the ionosphere, so when it gets in the air most of it leaves earth. Recapturing the small amount in the atmosphere is prohibitively expensive.

With fusion you get lots of Helium as a "waste" product, so if it was known that this was coming, there would not be as much concern over the Helium supply dwindling like it has. I know some states do not allow Helium use for anything but Medical or scientific purposes. Iowa has such laws. Helium balloons are illegal there. Now obviously many policies are counter intuitive and downright stupid, but the medical community has enough reason to want to restrict the use of Helium and enough power to do so that I think they would do so if it wasn't known this was coming.

Also, the fact that shale oil and refineries are going gangbusters right now, and the price of oil is dropping says to me that our dependence on oil is close to an end, and they are trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of that lemon.

Well, then we should definitely go back to using hydrogen in balloons. It's even lighter than helium, and has other qualities that may lead to even more fun and excitement for kids!

Its an interesting thought, but isn't X-37B a Boeing project, not Lockheed-Martin? They are both in bed with the DOD though...

Speaking of which, considering how involved they are with the government, the timing of this announcement raises an eyebrow for me, given the situation with Russia right now. What better way to stick it to Putin then to announce a source of clean, virtually limitless energy that is developed in the U.S.? I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it could be a devastating blow to Russia over the next decade.

Another thought I've always had: What if the investors/policy makers needed to make fusion energy a reality decided that it would be more profitable to "squeeze the lemon" (as Cavatt said above) of fossil fuels for a few years before making this announcement. This "breakthrough" in fusion energy could have been discovered years ago, for all we know... Either way, this is potentially world-changing news!

Reactions: KB
Its an interesting thought, but isn't X-37B a Boeing project, not Lockheed-Martin? They are both in bed with the DOD though...

Speaking of which, considering how involved they are with the government, the timing of this announcement raises an eyebrow for me, given the situation with Russia right now. What better way to stick it to Putin then to announce a source of clean, virtually limitless energy that is developed in the U.S.? I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it could be a devastating blow to Russia over the next decade.

Another thought I've always had: What if the investors/policy makers needed to make fusion energy a reality decided that it would be more profitable to "squeeze the lemon" (as Cavatt said above) of fossil fuels for a few years before making this announcement. This "breakthrough" in fusion energy could have been discovered years ago, for all we know... Either way, this is potentially world-changing news!

I sort of think that this is what is going on. They are going to unveil fusion soon, and make this humongous amount of money. The bottom will fall out of the oil markets, and OPEC will collapse. Meanwhile we will have a stronghold in the middle east, and will have strategic placement to hold off Russia while the middle east scrambles to find something to base their economy on.

Seriously, these oil producing nations have basically nothing else. They have not spent their money on valuable things or diversified their economy in any way. There will be more intense unrest there, but their ability to fight anyone but themselves will dwindle as their product goes the way of paperback books and compact discs. No one will have any interest in them once oil is not important, and their Napolean complex will spin out of control. They will have no leverage anymore and we can finally hold them to some human rights standards.

Russia will also be greatly weakened by the whole thing, while we are producing our shale oil and tar sands that will be enough to supply us with all the plastic and synthetics that we need. The simultaneous rise of electric cars and LED tech will be amply provided for by fusion, and the air quality will greatly improve. They will pop these fusion reactors in aircraft carriers, submarines, and giant shipping boats.

Lockheed Martin's new fusion reactor can change humanity forever

Jesus Diaz
ProfileFollow

Jesus Diaz

Filed to: AWESOME

domqjteyirgbcx6xjsnj.jpg
EXPAND

This is an invention that could change civilization as we know it: A compact fusion reactor developed by Skunk Works, the stealth experimental technology division of Lockheed Martin. It's the size of a jet engine and it can power airplanes, spaceships, and cities. Skunk Works claims it will be operative in 10 years.

Aviation Week had exclusive access to their secret laboratories and talked to Dr. Thomas McGuire, the leader of Skunk Work's Revolutionary Technology division. And revolutionary it is, indeed: Instead of using the same design that everyone else is using—the Soviet-derivedtokamak, a torus in which magnetic fields confine the fusion reaction with a huge energy cost and thus little energy production capabilities—Skunk Works' Compact Fusion Reactor has a radically different approach to anything people have tried before. Here are the two of them for comparison:

vjsnyfdy2zstpkp2apq7.jpg
EXPAND

Above: The traditional Soviet tokamak design of the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor, a gigantic installation being built in France.

dwvhkl5krzqzf2he0dfo.jpg

Above: The Skunk Works' new compact fusion reactor design.

The key to the Skunk Works system is their tube-like design, which allows them to bypass one of the limitations of classic fusion reactor designs, which are very limited in the amount of plasma they can hold, which makes them huge in size—like the gigantic International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor. According to McGuire:

[The traditional tokamak designes] can only hold so much plasma, and we call that the beta limit. [Their plasma ratio is] 5% or so of the confining pressure. [...] We should be able to go to 100% or beyond.

This architecture allows it to be 10 times smaller at the same power output of something like theITER, which is expected to generate 500 MW in the 2020s. This is crucial for the use of fusion in all kind of applications, not only in giant, expensive power plants.

Skunk Works is convinced that their system—which will be the size of a jet engine—will be able to power everything, from spaceships to airplanes to vessels—and of course scale up to a much larger size. At the size of the ITER, it will be able to produce 10 times more energy, McGuire claims:

It's one of the reasons we think it is feasible for development and future economics. Ten times smaller is the key. But on the physics side, it still has to work, and one of the reasons we think our physics will work is that we've been able to make an inherently stable configuration. In our case, it is always in balance. So if you have less pressure, the plasma will be smaller and will always sit in this magnetic well.

The road ahead
But we all know that the road to the dream of clean, unlimited energy is paved with failed inventions. The situation here seems quite different. First, Lockheed Martin is not a crazy dude working in a garage. It's one of the world's largest aerospace and military companies.

McGuire knows that they are just starting now, but he claims the design is sound and they will advance quickly until its final implementation in just a decade:

We would like to get to a prototype in five generations. If we can meet our plan of doing a design-build-test generation every year, that will put us at about five years, and we've already shown we can do that in the lab. So it wouldn't be at full power, like a working concept reactor, but basically just showing that all the physics works.

Five years after that, they expect to have a fully operative model ready to go into full-scale production, capable of generating 100MW—enough to power a large cargo ship or a 80,000-home city—and measure 23 x 42 feet, so you "could put it on a semi-trailer, similar to a small gas turbine, put it on a pad, hook it up and can be running in a few weeks."

I really hope this works out.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."