• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you reading?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FiveThous

All-Star
Reaction score
I am looking for a couple different genres:

I enjoy reading business/startup, fiction, fantasy novels (GoT & LOTR style) & personal development books.

I've recently read and enjoyed Scrum and Rework.

I just ordered the first book of The Black Company series.

Anyone have any other recommendations for me?

Here are a few finance/money books I have enjoyed:

• Rich Dad Poor Dad
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • One Up on Wall Street.
  • The Richest Man in Babylon

I am reading the jack reacher series by Lee child? The book is way better then the movie.

I was recommended Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I tried to like it, but I just didn't think it was well written. It's about the near future where there's a big energy crisis. The world has turned to a virtual reality world to spend time in to escape reality and do everything from work, school, and play. The billionaire founder of it left his inheritance to someone who could complete a quest he left. The story follows someone trying to solve this quest. The story is chock full of 80's references, and those were cool for a while, but I just couldn't get into the story.

I do know of people who did like it though.

WOOL by Hugh Howey is really entertaining if you haven't read it. It is sci-fi/fantasy. The Martian is another sci-fi book I read recently and enjoyed. It's a journal style of writing that took me a while to get into but I ended up really liking the book. It's pretty science heavy, but I thought it was easy to follow. It is currently being made into a movie too.

If you like mysteries, check out books by Boris Akunin.
Tom Robbins' books are a trip. I would recommend Skinny Legs and All.
I liked The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

biz/startup: zero to one by thiel, high output management by grove, innovator's dilemma and innovators solution by christensen, hackers & painters by graham. 'ninety percent of everything' and 'the box' are both fascinating. currently reading the intel trinity which has been fantastic too.

personal development: how to win friends and influence people (cliche i know), influence by cialdini, the charisma myth by cabane.

also would recommend against rich dad poor dad.

Red Rising and Golden Son by Pierce Brown. They are books 1 and 2 of the Red Rising Trilogy. Book 3 comes out next year. Its a mix of Ender's Game, Hunger Games, and Game of Thrones. Amazing books. I also second the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, one of the best characters out there.

The Joys of Home Ownership by Nate Dagg.

I'm not a particular fan of the genre, but I highly recommend anything Pat Conroy has written. In terms of mastery of prose and the English language, I don't think I've ever read a better writer.

edit: I've read Prince of Tides and Lords of Discipline so far, and both are up there with the best books I've ever read.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."