• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Love/Wiggins Trade Revisited

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All4One1ForAll

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
wuck: i restored and also moved a bunch of Love/Wiggins posts to this thread upon request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we talking about Wiggins and Bennett? We've already established that we fucked up in that trade lol. You guys don't seem to understand that Love is limited in his current role and I don't think the downgrade to Andersen would be as severe as you seem to think. Certainly, adding Asik would make up for it.

You might have established that. The vast majority of people around the NBA and on this board do that trade 100/100 times.

I would do the Love/Wiggins trade yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

I think Coach K said that the trade was a no brainer. I agree.

I didn't like the trade when it happened; thought we got fleeced like AllForOne said. I dunno why people are acting like there wasn't commotion here... There were LOTS of us who were against the trade as it was composed and there were LOTS of us who argued against the nonsensical notion that "Love is an above average defender."

We can go back, easily, and see who said what -- I know I remember very clearly.

Anyway, with that, even though I've bought (resigned myself) in on the Love trade - in hindsight, there's absolutely no way I would do it today. That's just real talk..

People will plaster Love's career averages on the board, or his best averages and say "Wiggins can't do this can he?" all while ignoring his reluctance to play physical defense.

Wiggins has exceeded expectations and his rate of growth is astounding compared to where we had him (comparable to Paul George).

Right now, Wiggins looks like one of the biggest future stars of the NBA. I wanted a team with a 10-15 year lifespan, not a short window predicated on LeBron James. Wiggins gave us that - but I don't know if Kevin Love does.

Either way, there are still people here unwilling to budge an inch and acknowledge they were wrong. Just as there are still people who think drafting Waiters over Drummond was the right call. Or drafting Thompson was the right call.

Anyway -- we have Kevin Love now, we have to build an offense that incorporates his skills and a defense that hides and mitigates his poor defense.

The largest group supporting the Love trade were the fan boys in the media and the frontrunner fans who just came back after 4 years. "Gotta win now," they said. It's like they were just going off of star power alone. The basketball community and people that were regulars here during the dark ages were more divided. Having Wiggins would have eliminated the need to play Marion last night, for example.

I didn't like the trade when it happened; thought we got fleeced like AllForOne said. I dunno why people are acting like there wasn't commotion here... There were LOTS of us who were against the trade as it was composed and there were LOTS of us who argued against the nonsensical notion that "Love is an above average defender."

We can go back, easily, and see who said what -- I know I remember very clearly.

Anyway, with that, even though I've bought (resigned myself) in on the Love trade - in hindsight, there's absolutely no way I would do it today. That's just real talk..

People will plaster Love's career averages on the board, or his best averages and say "Wiggins can't do this can he?" all while ignoring his reluctance to play physical defense.

Wiggins has exceeded expectations and his rate of growth is astounding compared to where we had him (comparable to Paul George).

Right now, Wiggins looks like one of the biggest future stars of the NBA. I wanted a team with a 10-15 year lifespan, not a short window predicated on LeBron James. Wiggins gave us that - but I don't know if Kevin Love does.

Either way, there are still people here unwilling to budge an inch and acknowledge they were wrong. Just as there are still people who think drafting Waiters over Drummond was the right call. Or drafting Thompson was the right call.

Anyway -- we have Kevin Love now, we have to build an offense that incorporates his skills and a defense that hides and mitigates his poor defense.

I totally opposed it as well. We could have had Love and Wiggins... We had a plethora of assets that were just wasted. Love could have been had around the deadline for those assets, sans Wiggins. If we struck out on Love, there were other options.

The largest group supporting the Love trade were the fan boys in the media and the frontrunner fans who just came back after 4 years. "Gotta win now," they said. It's like they were just going off of star power alone. The basketball community and people that were regulars here during the dark ages were more divided. Having Wiggins would have eliminated the need to play Marion last night, for example.

Really wouldn't have needed the Shump trade either.

Really wouldn't have needed the Shump trade either.

I still would have done it. Kyrie/Wiggins/LeBron/Thompson/Mozgov or start Smith at the 2 and move LeBron to the 4.

Bench could have been Shump, Smith, Delly, Marion, Miller, Bennett.

This is such a ridiculous and offensive generalization that it doesn't even deserve a response, so I deleted my reply and am just going to leave this one here.

I've never seen somebody project their own opinions onto the world at large like this. Holy revisionist history.

Ridiculous.

I thought that we didn't need him. I said he ads scoring and rebounding only and I am not even sure about the rebounding note.

Wiggins on this team would rule.

I think we are in a tight spot because Love bleeds possessions. Not getting the stop hurts the offense so bad.

I really want him to turn it around, but I hate his game and his lack of athleticism. I said he was undersized before we got him and people thought it was blasphemous. He looks small out there and you get a guy with length on him and he can't do much.

I was against the Love trade too but I think this is overly critical of him. I still expect love to find his role and be very effective with this team going forward. Part of his slump may be due to a lack of confidence which is something that can easily shift.

Last edited:
Your post is almost too silly to respond to. But, for all of the revisionists out there you might want to not only re-read the threads but also check out the overwhelming support we got for the trade. Basically every basketball mind considered it a trade that is made without question every single time. Even our own RCF poll was overwhelmingly in favor of the trade. /

"Revisionists"? There were quite a few people on here who were against the trade. Every single issue we are dealing with now with Love, from his lack of defense to his upcoming contract negotations, I brought up as a good reason not to trade a number one pick with tremendous two way potential. But most RCF members overlooked or downplayed these issues.

And so what about the basketball analysts who supported the trade, these are the same type of analysts who overwhelmingly picked Oregon to beat Ohio State. Sports "analysts" and journalists rarely have an original thought of their own and usually just go with mainstream opinion.

"Revisionists"? There were quite a few people on here who were against the trade. Every single issue we are dealing with now with Love, from his lack of defense to his upcoming contract negotations, I brought up as a good reason not to trade a number one pick with tremendous two way potential. But most RCF members overlooked or downplayed these issues.

And so what about the basketball analysts who supported the trade, these are the same type of analysts who overwhelmingly picked Oregon to beat Ohio State. Sports "analysts" and journalists rarely have an original thought of their own and usually just go with mainstream opinion.

My point is that he said the old users on the board were split which is simply untrue.

There were a handful of people opposed to it. The vast majority supported the move.

My point is that he said the old users on the board were split. There were a handful of people opposed to it. The vast majority supported the move.

Ahh I didn't see that. Yeah I'd say the RCF community was divided 80/20 in favor of trading for Love. Before the Love trade RCF was also 80/20 in support of drafting Embiid or Parker over Wiggins. Let's say RCF isn't very good at talent evaluation :chuckle:

If the Love trade doesn't happen and the Cavs went into the season with Andy, Tristan and Bennett as their bigs, they would have a zero percent chance of doing anything in the playoffs without a massive trade once Andy got injured.

You can complain all you want about Love's play but the lack of balance on this roster without him would be abysmal.

Still would have had a ton of assets to fix the hole without trading Wiggins. We could gave traded for guys like Brandon Wright, Mozgov, Jeff Green, Thad Young or even still traded for Klove at the deadline with giving up Wiggins. The front office should have been more patient. What did we accomplish by having Love at the start of training camp? It's Jan 17, 2015 and we're still a mess.

Last edited:
Still would have had a ton of assets to fix the hole without trading Wiggins. We could gave traded for guys like Brandon Wright, Mozgov, Jeff Green, Thad Young or even still traded or Klove at the deadline with giving up Wiggins. Cavs should have been more patient.

I was actually shocked when the trade went through. I thought we could have potentially gotten Love without trading Wiggins and trading some package of Bennett, Waiters, Tristan, draft picks, etc. if we had just held out. Minny was desperate to trade Love, they had no leverage since Love was going to leave in a year and signaled he wanted to go to Cleveland which also prevented other teams from offering a good package for him. We got raped.

Before the Love trade RCF was also 80/20 in support of drafting Embiid or Parker over Wiggins.

OT: I banned everyone who was not in support of drafting Embiid #1 before we learned about his injury. Anyone not in favor of drafting a healthy Embiid was not worthy of this forum. And that was before he became a Twitter junkie.
:fight (7):

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."