1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. RCF is Proudly Sponsored by INKTASTIC.com

Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Derek, May 6, 2016.

1. Derek

Derek 1 by land, 2 by sea, 3 Baerga

I figured that with the Civil War release, there might be a need for a general discussion thread.

First off, I thought the movie was great. Ant-Man and Spider-Man were awesome in the big fight scene, and I was really pleased with how strong they made Spidey look. Really looking forward to Homecoming now.

The entire time I thought we would see a Steve and Tony reconciliation by the end of the movie, so the fact that we didn't get that was a big surprise to me. To draw some parallels from the Civil War comics, Steve is basically forming the Secret Avengers at the end of the movie, which is really an early part of the comics.

I thought it was interesting that we got basically no teasers for Thanos outside of Vision talking about his Infinity stone. I'm guessing that means Guardians 2 and Thor: Ragnarok will be riddled with Thanos and the Infinity stones to prepare us for the next Avengers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Adam

Adam Reading and reacting

I thought they did an excellent job with a difficult task setting the table for the next avengers and delivering a complex plot at the right pace.

The russos said in interviews that inifinty war is no where near written as a script, but it seems like they have some tough choices to make in terms of scale and scope. I mean in the comics its a floating room in space and some aspects of it will need interpreting for a modern audience.

Im assuming doc strange will have a big lead into this along with guardians 2 for the 3 infinity stones. With thor having the teseract in asguard iirc

3. col63onel

col63onel Joe Thomas Fan Club

As much as I loved it, there is still one plot hole I am struggling with.

Did Zemo know Bucky killed Stark's parents? How did he know? Because it seemed like the only proof was that VHS at the secret base in Siberia. And if he had other proof, why didn't he just leak it to the press/internet? That would accomplish the same amount.

There were four good/great action scenes BEFORE the finale. The opening action scene in Nigeria was good. The Bucky/Cap stairwell fight was amazing, the Bucky/Cap/Falcon/Panther chase was one of the best chases I've scene, and of course the airport scene.

I know Marvel hates killing off characters, but I do think the death of one of them would've added some emotional weight.

• Like Like x 4
  4. jking948

jking948 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed it. My favorite "Avengers" movie so far, and second favorite Marvel Universe movie (behind Deadpool). My favorite part is that they finally, finally acknowledged the human costs of the wars the Avengers fought. I'll write a more expansive review tonight, but as for rankings, 7.75/10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gourimoko

gourimoko Fighting the good fight!

Just felt like Spider-Man should have had a lot more screen time. I also felt the creative team didn't know how to deal with characters as powerful as Spider-Man and The Vision, so, they got the least amount of time in the grand fight.

There were some obvious plot holes, and some of the misdirection, while appreciated, was a bit contrived. But, for what it was, I loved it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. brownindian

brownindian Sixth Man

@David. will be so happy to know that superhero movies are now getting their own thread and not being part of the other movie thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Derek

Definitely true with Vision, but Spider-Man got put over in a big way. He made Bucky and Falcon look silly for quite a while, and then went 1 on 1 with Cap, earning some respect in the process.

Obviously, as a Spider-Man fan like you, I would love to see him on screen as much as possible. However, this movie wasn't really about him, but it did serve as an excellent introduction for him into the universe.

On an aside, how great is Tom Holland as Peter Parker? Awesome casting decision there.

• Like Like x 7
  8. brownindian

brownindian Sixth Man

How is Tom Hollands Parker better than Andrew Garfields Peter Parker ? I have not seen the new Civil war movie So I am curious how Holland is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. King Stannis

King Stannis The One True King

He is great! He actually conveys someone still in high school very well.

And on the point @gourimoko made about Spidey not doing as well against Cap as one would imagine, I think it is fair to say Spidey is still figuring out what he can do and probably has little experience yet fighting people who aren't simple criminals and can hit almost as hard as he can.

• Like Like x 2
  10. UncleDrew

UncleDrew Potential Legendary

I honestly thought Civil War was fucking AWESOME! I, too, think Holland plays a really good Spider-man! I can't really figure out why yet, but he sure plays the part well!

• Like Like x 1
  11. UncleDrew

My only question was...why wasn't Hulk/Banner in it? Clint/Hawkeye eventually comes in, even though he was "retired" and Thor was MIA.

However, I think the addition of Ant-Man, Black Panther and Spider-man surely made up for the loss of Hulk and Thor.

I FUCKING LOVED BLACK PANTHER!

12. jking948

jking948 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was a huge sucker for Garfield's Spidey. I thought he was so much better than Tobey Maguire. But Holland is good. You actually feel like he's just a kid who is a bit odd. Very good casting decision. I just hope they stick with him for awhile now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. UncleDrew

I agree...I'm getting real tired of the remakes and reboots.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gourimoko

gourimoko Fighting the good fight!

Whichever side the Hulk picks wins, so, you can't really have him in the movie. :chuckle:

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Derek

Plus, I believe he might be off planet with Thor right now. He's in Ragnarok, I believe.

• Like Like x 1