1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Mike Wallace to Browns?

Discussion in 'Browns Talk' started by bigjmac0815, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

I know it's from incarceratedbob but think about it. He's young, he's the downfield threat we've been looking for. And what a way to piss off Pittsburgh since they're way over the cap and not going to be able to tag or sign Wallace to a deal

• Like Like x 1
  2. speedyd718

speedyd718 Game Changer

Only if this guarantees us drafting RG3. I don't want to see Wallace out running Colt's noodle armed throws.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I.K.W.T

I.K.W.T Season Ticket Holder

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 32
  4. Pavlovic3Ball

Pavlovic3Ball BARNES BRIGADE

Exactly. If we are signing Wallace, than Colt is as good as gone.

5. The Gil-lionaire

The Gil-lionaire Towel Waver

Pertaining to the "poison pill offer sheet, Im pretty sure that the new CBA doesnt allow for that anymore.

“Poison pill” for offer sheets removed from CBA
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2012, 2:25 PM EST

With teams like the Steelers and the Texans facing the departure via restricted free agency of players like Mike Wallace and Arian Foster, respectively, in exchange for merely a first-round draft pick, the question becomes whether teams like the Steelers and the Texans would match an offer sheet signed with a new team by players like by Wallace or Foster, respectively, with a new team.

Embedded in that question is the question of whether the “poison pill” feature devised six years ago by the Vikings, guard Steve Hutchinson, and his agents still exists.

Per a source with intimate knowledge of the new CBA, it doesn’t. The ability of one team to sign a player to an offer sheet and include a term that would, for example, make the entire amount of the contract fully guaranteed if the player plays more than four games in the stadium where his current team plays, has disappeared.

In Hutchinson’s case, the entire amount of his March 2006 offer from the Vikings would have become fully guaranteed if at any point during the life of the deal he hadn’t been the highest-paid offensive lineman on the team. Since former Seahawks left tackle Walter Jones was making more per year than the Vikings had offered Hutchinson, Hutchinson’s full contract would have become guaranteed the moment the Seahawks matched the offer that Minnesota had made.

The so-called “poison pill” was never used again following a tit-for-tat that had the Seahawks take former Vikings receiver Nate Burleson via a similar device (and after, we were told at the time, Vikings and Seahawks executives were dressed down at the next set of league meetings). So, with most teams unwilling to use it, it made sense for the players to give it up in exchange for other concessions at the bargaining table."

• Like Like x 2
  6. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

Would u guys give 22 for Wallace?

7. Pavlovic3Ball

Easily.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

I have no problem with Bob saying teams are interested. Where I have a problem is when he says things are eminent or definite when everyone and their mother knows he's just guessing.

9. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

Okay cuz if we signed him we'd have to give up a first rounder

10. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

I would also give a 22 for Wallace. This would REALLY make me hope Griffin drops to 4 because it'd be very difficult to trade up to 2 or 3 to get him without the 22 pick.

11. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

Yes, I would take Mike Wallace over Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd. However; I would hate to give the Steelers a 2nd 1st round pick because they will probably find someone who will be a 14 time all pro with the pick.

• Like Like x 5
  12. selby56

selby56 Cavs fan from S. Carolina

Wouldn't we have to give up #4 though? I thought in these situations that if a team has multiple picks in a specific round, then they have to give up the highest pick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. boxxer

boxxer Situational Stopper

I thought you had to give up your teams first round pick….which would be the 4…..not the 22.

Unless a sign and trade is done with compensation being specified as the 22

14. mofire

mofire Situational Stopper

Ya I'm not giving pittsburgh a 1st rounder. Would much rather go after Stevie Johnson then mike Wallace. Plus we would have to surrender are 4th pick not the 22nd.

15. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

I looked it up and it said a first round pick....doesnt say that we have to give up the highest, i could be wrong from what i read though

16. Pavlovic3Ball

Stevie Johnson and Greg Little is kind of repetitive. Would much rather have a deep threat to pair with Greg. Not saying I would trade the 4th pick for Wallace though.

17. mofire

There's nothing wrong with having little and Johnson, and you can always draft a burner like a wright or Adams somewhere in the draft to help with your speed at the position. I'm also very interested in Brandon Carr cb from Kansas city. They just signed Routt from Oakland and will likely place the franchise on bowe leave Carr to free agency. I would love to see us make a run at him and a wr.

18. Damage

Damage ****face

Would I do it for #22? One would be insane to not do so. Little problem though:

1. FA starts before the draft. Pairing Wallace w/ RG3 would be awesome - but we won't have RG3 yet. So if the asking price to move up to grab RG3 is our two 1sts - we no longer have that leverage. It's a risky gamble to play
    2. Wallace is a RFA - meaning he can really pick where he wants to go. He can negotiate his own deal.

The only chance the Browns have is giving up the 22nd pick - which is our top asset in getting RG3. Again - it's a risky play.

19. Huber.

Huber. Adrninistrator

Why would the Steelers ever do this?

• Like Like x 1
  20. mofire

i could see the steelers trading him if his price is to high, but I can not see them trading him to a division rival.