1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

MLB draft signings

Discussion in '(MLB) Cleveland Indians' started by Damage, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Damage

Damage ****face

Just an FYI, The Indians signed 20 of their top 23 picks in what was one of their most aggressive drafts in a long time. In lamens, this is great news and was probably a top 3 draft in baseball.

The one guy who I really liked, Birch Smith, was a redraft and for whatever reason decided to go back to school.

Here's a break down of some of the signings:

Pomeranz $2.65
    Washington $1.2
    Wolters $1.35
    Blair $580K
    Cook $299K
    Bartolone $125K
    Aviles $150K
    Lavisky $1.0M
    Cooper $125K
    Holt $500K
    Goodnight $315K
    Dischler $255K
    Bradley $125K

That totals: $8.674M on 13 picks. So, let it be told, the Indians ownership does give a fuck about this team and does want to compete. The only other team, less Washington Nats, that spent more than the Tribe were the Pirates.

I'm really excited to see the development of Wolters (think a Pedroia clone, minus the dickhead attitude), Washington (Could develop into a power hitter, could develop into a lead off guy. No clue yet) and Aviles (big risk, big reward. Can top out around 96 MPH but needed TJ surgery. Has ace potential).

5 people like this.
  2. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

Man I can't wait for 5-6 years down the road when we can trade these guys away.

1 person likes this.
  3. BobQCarter

BobQCarter Towel Waver

I used to watch/babysit Alex Lavisky when he was a kid. I'm glad to see that him and his family are now mostly set and that he has a chance to be even more successful, Congratulations to him, he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.

1 person likes this.
  4. Damage

Damage ****face

Man I can't wait for you to stop posting.

1 person likes this.
  5. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

Hey, the truth is the truth. I am a huge Tribe fan. Always have been. Its annoying that we can spend money to draft them but once they are developed we let them go. It flat out sucks. This draft class has me excited for sure and for the time being I will just try and enjoy the prospects and the hopes for the future.

6. MoFlo

MoFlo Administrator Staff Member

Keep hoping for better & better drafts.

The problem isn't that we keep trading these guys away. That's the reality of the situation. The problem is that we haven't been drafting well enough to replace them when we do trade them.

4 people like this.
  7. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

I agree with the bad drafting. But I disagree with trading them all too and just find (hopeful) replacements. The Dolans needs to spend some money so they can make some money. I am tired of being a AAA club for the MLB.

8. CBBI

CBBI Made Man

And dropping 9M on a draft class (the most the Indians as a franchise has ever spent on the draft if I remember correctly) isn't spending money?

I agree that there are plenty of things to complain about in regards to the Indians, but this isn't one of them.

When you're a small market team, this is the only way you can compete consistently. You have to pour your available resources into your scouting, drafting, and player development. Then you have to make smart trades of veterans that you aren't going to be able to resign. Finally, you have to try and avoid locking yourselves into payroll killing long term deals for veterans that aren't worth the commitment.

I'm just glad the Indians finally seem to recognizing the first step in the process.

2 people like this.
  9. sgm405

sgm405 NBA Starter

Good to see them investing in the draft so heavily...here's hoping that at least a few of these guys pan out to their potential now.

10. Danboone2006

Danboone2006 Situational Stopper

Can you imagine if they'd had even semi productive drafts from 2000-2008? That's 9 consecutive years of constant failures through the best avenue of building a team. It makes 2007 a REALLY incredible feat when you think about it. Off the top of my head the only 5 players on that team drafted by the Tribe were CC, Laffey, Garko, Francisco and Jensen Lewis. That team was built from Latin player development, and trades.

The Lavisky signing is exciting to me from a novelty standpoint.

I couldn't believe that Stetson Allie got $2.25 bonus. I went out to a couple Ed's games this year and good lord could that kid throw, but sitting behind the backstop I felt legit scared for the batters because I felt that Allie had no clue where he was throwing.

3 people like this.
  11. Damage

Damage ****face

The economics in baseball are ridiculous. CBBI summed it up best. It ain't the 90's anymore. We had a booming economy, cleveland was thriving, new stadium, new bars/restaurants, great team, no Browns, etc...We are a mid market team. Nature of the beast.

1 person likes this.
  12. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

I understand that part , but I mean come on. We can't spend money to keep any young stud we could grow through our system? Seems like we would just rather spend millions to sign old vets who have no business playing on our team through a rebuilding process.

13. macbdog

macbdog I just got a semi

I think the Tribe's draft deserves some props, they took alot of risks and signed several of them. This is definitely a departure from the norm. However, I am not necessarily a fan of ramping up spending- to me, I don't get how spending more money on the exact same talent pool makes sense, but that is just me apparently. The Indians' prior stressing of college players wasn't so much the problem as the guys they took- for example, passing on Dustin Pedroia in 04 to take Justin Hoyman. The 2008 draft right now looks to be the best in years for the team and they didn't go apeshit on the signing bonuses for that one either. Either way, it looks like player development is getting a boost after so many mediocre years of drafting and this was badly, badly needed.

Boone- yeah, that Allie bonus seemed absurd, and I am kind of shocked at what Lavisky got. Best of wishes to both; Allie has a long way to go getting that fastball under control, hopefully he doesn't mind cutting a few mph off to get it in the zone. The Pirates' GM is former Tribe FO member Neal Hungtington, and the Pirates spent even more than the Tribe on the draft this year. Guess we will have to check back in a few years and see if it was worth it.

14. Damage

Damage ****face

.... still not getting it...

15. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

Oh I get it.

I am sorry, I promise I will work on being happy with sucking all the time. I will work on staying in a Cleveland mind frame.

16. CBBI

CBBI Made Man

Grady Sizemore got a 6 year 23.45M dollar deal at age 22.

Fausto Carmona got a 7 year 43M (4 year team with 3 team option years on the end) dollar deal at age 24.

Travis Hafner got a 4 year, 57M dollar deal at age 30 coming off a three year run where he was the best hitter in the AL.

Now you can say those signings didn't work out perfectly in hindsight sure, but that was our best positional player, a starter who won 19 and dominated in the first round of the playoffs, and the best hitter in the league all resigned by the team.

I'm assuming the "young studs" you're pissed we didn't keep were Sabathia, Lee, and Martinez?

1 person likes this.
  17. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

I never liked the Hafner deal for the record and I was a huge Hafner fan. Sizemore hasn't done what he was built up to do mainly because of injuries. Carmona I am not sure what happend there but we probably will trade him this offseason. I wasn't all that pissed with trading CC because I think we got a good haul. I thought we could of got more for Lee though. Victor I was sad to see go but we have a very good replacement in Carlos.

I guess the tribe can change my mind a little on how they handle the Choo situation. Sure we signed those 3 guys as you mentioned before but we can do much better then now then just signing old vets. We don't need a bunch of old vets. Its not like we are on the verge to begin with. We have a very good core IMO and can do some damage in the future so lets lock up our core and let the young kids play. Looks at how the Rays did it.

18. CBBI

CBBI Made Man

The Choo situation is an interesting one to me. I have a feeling you might end up being really disappointed with the way that one turns out, but hear me out for a second.

Choo just turned 28 and he's under Indians control until the end of the 2013 season. At that point he's going to be 31 years old. Yes, he does have arbitration coming up and he is going to get a dramatic raise, but the fact remains that he cannot leave the Indians for 3 more seasons if the Indians don't want him to leave.

Now obviously 31 isn't ancient by any stretch of the imagination and I also think he can continue to OPS .880 throughout the next three seasons.

Herein lies the problem.

His agent is Scott Boras. There's no possible way Boras will allow Choo to take anything less then absolute maximum dollars. So in three years, when Choo is 31 and Boras comes to Shap and asks for a 5 year, 60M dollar deal. Then what?

It could potentially be the Travis Hafner situation all over again.

Edit: Speaking of the Rays, it's a near certainty they lose Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and Rafael Soriano at the end of this season. They locked up Longoria at a young age (very similar to the way the Indians locked up Sizemore early), but when he turns 28-29 years old and is due that second massive contract extension, what are the Rays going to do then? Are they going to pony up the 150+ million it would likely take to keep that guy?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    2 people like this.
  19. OhioSlayer

OhioSlayer DoubleShot

I love Choo and think he will be good well into his thirties. Having said that no way do I sign him at 31 years old to a 5 year 60m deal. I would sign him to that right now but not at 31. Like I said, as much as I love Choo I don't want to handicap this franchise anymore and signing a 31 year old to that deal would be doing just that.

1 person likes this.
  20. CBBI

CBBI Made Man

If he's under control for 3 more years, why extend him at all?

Yes, he's going to make a lot of money in arbitration, but not 60 million dollars.

I'd just let him play out his remaining three years here and wish him well on his time served with the team in 2013.