1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Mo Speights to OKC trade idea

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by LNance, Feb 2, 2013.

1. LNance

LNance Rookie

Now that it may look like The Raptors pick maybe a low lotto pick would OKC trade that pick for Mo Speights?

Mo Speights/Cavs 2nd for Maynor/Thabeet and the Raptors Pick

2. CPK

CPK Sixth Man

Re: Mo Speights to OKC

God dammit. I came in here thinking this actually went down.

1 person likes this.
  3. Qasim Mitchell

Qasim Mitchell Cleveland Browns HOF LT

Re: Mo Speights to OKC

Samezies

4. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

Be careful with your thread titles...

17 people like this.
  5. LNance

LNance Rookie

^

I would have thought that if I had posted in the CAVS section.

6. BDaddy

BDaddy Rookie

The Raptors just got Rudy Gay. You sure they're going to be in the lotto? And, are you sure we'd get someone as good as Speights with that pick?

7. Heights

Heights In the Rotation

At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking in the organization would be to package the pick with the LA pick (if received), and/or the second rounder(s) to move back into the early portion of the draft.

Remember last year they did a similar move to get Zeller, trading down from 4 total picks in the draft to 2. I expect Grant to anticipate no more than 2 rookies on next year's team as well.

8. TopGun

TopGun I was inverted.

Odds are we let Speights walk at the end of the year, so in that regard any pick is likely better for our team than Speights will be next year.

9. LNance

LNance Rookie

I doubt it as the Raptors are 6 1/2 games out of the 8th spot, but yea Rudy Gay just could push that team into the playoffs. :chuckles:

OKC IMO, could really use a Big with some offense.

10. warddj86

warddj86 Let's try to double wins

That would be funny.

Grant: "Hey Marreese, I have something to tell you."
    Speights: "Yeah?"
    Grant: "We're gonna need you to put on a suit, and go to the visitor's locker room tonight"

11. Urban

Urban September 14

Why would OKC trade us a lotto pick for Speights?

12. LNance

LNance Rookie

^

13. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

this.

strange how people focus on varejao-centric deals, then when that is no longer possible they sub marreese speights in for a similar package from okc. not sure if that is because of homerism, delusions about rudy gay, or what. but it's funny.

14. LNance

LNance Rookie

The voice of Reason and King of Optimism.....................

15. SkaakS

SkaakS Situational Stopper

It'd probably be better if they did make the playoffs. That pick is guaranteed to be in the lotto (top 5, non-lottery protected this year, similar next year with less top end protection, etc). Heck, it might mean a top pick in a more loaded draft in the future.

16. PIP

PIP Orange and Blue Staff Member

People wanna trade a productive big man entering his prime in the hopes that the Cavs can draft a teenager that may not even turn out as good as he is

1 person likes this.
  17. Rich

Rich Hall-of-Famer

I would agree with you if he weren't going to become a FA this summer. What the crap are we going to do if some offers him 8 million a year for 3 years? It's such a risk...

1 person likes this.
  18. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

or i just like to use a little thing called logic. but i guess since i must state the obvious (to you, at least):

okc traded arguably their second best player this past off-season solely because of the cap implications of holding onto him. the player they received for him is a free agent at the end of the year and there are questions as to whether they can even afford to keep him. speights is also going to be a free agent this off-season and as a halfway decent big man, will surely be getting offers higher than he deserves.

so please, feel free to explain how a cost-conscious team like okc can afford to make this trade. also, please explain why they would prefer martin and speights instead of just keeping harden in the first place. thx.

19. miller810

miller810 Rookie

I would agree with you if he weren't going to become a FA this summer. What the crap are we going to do if some offers him 8 million a year for 3 years? It's such a risk...

Am I missing something? From what I see Speights is set to be under contract and make 4,515,000 in 2013/2014. Since he was traded, is his contract null and void unless it's with Memphis?

20. Scholar

Scholar Sports Archaeologist

It's a player's option. So, Speights can choose to opt out of his contract. Since is underpaid, it is very very likely to happen. At the worst, he should be able to get just as much as he is now receiving. Can't see his agent not testing the water.