• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

NBA Realignment?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
According to Mark Cuban, this is the proposed realignment.

Moving to the Eastern Conference - Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and New Orleans
Moving to the Western Conference - Chicago, Indiana, Detroit and Milwaukee

This makes no sense, but if this is to strengthen the Eastern Conference I'm all for it.

But, I hope the Spurs won't be in our division if this does happen.

What do you guys think about it?

Incredibly stupid and does nothing. What is this supposed to help? Sure, those teams are good now and will provide balance. But talent and power shifts from team to team every few years. So what happens in 5 years when Duncan, Pop, Manu and Dirk all retire and suddenly Dallas and San Antonio suck? Now the East is weak again.

If they want to consider a REAL realignment, they should look at Tom Ziller's proposal yesterday. It's fantastic, long-term viable, and fixes almost all the imbalance in the schedule and in the playoffs. I'll go find the link.

Edit: Ok here's the link. If you wanna read a smart and well thought out realignment proposal, this is the one. Got a lot of traction around Twitter yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs

Last edited:
This is just some idea that Cuban cooked up. If you read the ESPN article, he has not even presented this to the NBA. Just an idea that in Mark's mind would help his basketball team.

It's pretty silly too. He basically just swaps 4 Mid West teams for 3 Texas teams, and New Orleans.

None of those teams other than New Orleans (and I guess Dallas) would possibly be in favor of that move.

Dumb idea unless there is a cheaper travel argument.

I'm all for evening up the NBA. If you asked me last year, I'd say forget it :chuckle:. Tom ziller is onto something. Cuban just trying to get things rolling. I don't think a tougher trip through the playoffs would be a terrible idea either.

My proposal:

Eastern Conference

Cleveland
Philadelphia
Los Angeles Lakers
Sacramento
Utah
Denver
Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn
Milwaukee

Western Conference

San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Los Angeles Clippers
Portland
Golden State
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis
Toronto
Boston
Washington

Seems perfectly fair.

My proposal:

Eastern Conference

Cleveland
Philadelphia
Los Angeles Lakers
Sacramento
Utah
Denver
Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn
Milwaukee

Western Conference

San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Los Angeles Clippers
Portland
Golden State
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis
Toronto
Boston
Washington

Seems perfectly fair.

I see that Chicago lost it's team. Possible relocation to Seattle?

Incredibly stupid and does nothing. What is this supposed to help? Sure, those teams are good now and will provide balance. But talent and power shifts from team to team every few years. So what happens in 5 years when Duncan, Pop, Manu and Dirk all retire and suddenly Dallas and San Antonio suck? Now the East is weak again.

If they want to consider a REAL realignment, they should look at Tom Ziller's proposal yesterday. It's fantastic, long-term viable, and fixes almost all the imbalance in the schedule and in the playoffs. I'll go find the link.

Edit: Ok here's the link. If you wanna read a smart and well thought out realignment proposal, this is the one. Got a lot of traction around Twitter yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs
I really like this idea a lot

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."