• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Need another wing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rich

Saucin'
Reaction score
Look, Mike Miller, Shawn Marion, Joe Harris and Dion Waiters might just turn out to be a good group of wing players. But as of right now, all of them have HUGE question marks and that leaves LeBron as the only reliable player.

My sights are set squarely on Denver. If, by February, the Thunder have made it clear that the 8th seed will not be a 40-42 win team and Denver looks safely out of the playoff race then we need to have serious discussions about Wilson Chandler or Aaron Afflalo. I have no idea about Denver's interest in Dion Waiters, my guess is they probably aren't all that high on him. So it very well might take one or both of the better trade pieces like Haywood's contract and the Memphis pick. Is that enough for those guys? Afflalo was moved by Orlando for, basically, Evan Fournier and a second round pick. If that's still his value by February we might be able to swing it.

I agree, I like both Afflalo and Chandler. I was hoping we would make a move for Afflalo before Denver swooped in. Griff referred to Dion as one of his "ball dominant guards." Not exactly a very endearing comment. If we could burn some assets to get better at the wing and more size down low; that would be great. It looks like it will most likely be one or the other though, and the other wing honestly looks worse.

I don't think we are going to get a real difference maker with the TPE; but my guess is we will be dangling Dion and trying like hell to find anything with the tpe.

I agree, I like both Afflalo and Chandler. I was hoping we would make a move for Afflalo before Denver swooped in. Griff referred to Dion as one of his "ball dominant guards." Not exactly a very endearing comment. If we could burn some assets to get better at the wing and more size down low; that would be great. It looks like it will most likely be one or the other though, and the other wing honestly looks worse.

I don't think we are going to get a real difference maker with the TPE; but my guess is we will be dangling Dion and trying like hell to find anything with the tpe.

Here's the question I ask when choosing about getting a big or another wing, which position is worse? Will it be easier to upgrade from Varejao/Thompson at center, or the Marion/Harris/Waiters combo on the wing. To me, I'm more comfortable moving forward with Varejao/Thompson than those 3 guys.

I'm pretty sure Marion didn't think he would be starting shooting guard going into this season. I'm pretty sure he was meant to play 3/4 rather than 2/3. We really don't have any other options though as far as length goes on the perimeter. Getting another wing will put Marion back in that role where I think he will be much more effective for this team. Certainly going forward Andy/thompson looks much better than what we have at the wing. Marion and Miller are pretty close to done, Waiters is most likely gone, and the other options (Harris is far from a sure thing). I'm not really going to count Delly because his best role is our backup point and he doesn't posses that size and athleticism we need at the other wing.

Id like to keep Dion and add to the roster. Maybe Brewer would be enough. Against whoever comes out of the West we are going to need multiple athletes who can play d and score. OKC kind of made the Cavs look like a bunch of old men out there with this style of play

Regardless of whichever direction we go it will have to be addressed as a huge weakness. Marion is a forward, Delly is a backup pg and Waiters is a undersized 6th man. We just need better athletes out there.

I am curious what Waiters real value is. I have poked my head into various threads on other boards where Waiters was offered up in a proposed trade. The universal opinion is that he is an inefficient chucker and absolutely nobody wants anything to do with him. The New York board joked that they wanted to bring him in just for the hilarity of having J.R. Smith and Dion Waiters on the same team.

Obviously this all depends on who is available as to which route we should take, but when I look at the names that have been floated out there I'm not even sure some of these centers would beat out Andy for the starting spot. Mozgov MIGHT, but is that really that big of an upgrade? To me getting a guy like Afflalo to replace the Marion/Waiters combo would be a far bigger upgrade than getting a Mozgov or Biyombo to move Andy to the bench.

What are your thoughts on shumpert rich? He started out the season in fire, but his production has fallen off a cliff recently.

Shumpert just isn't a good player. I think his defense is really overrated and he simply isn't a good offensive player on a consistent basis. He also has an ACL tear in his past. And he reportedly got hurt tonight as well.

Plus he's due for a new contract soon.

Brewer seems like a decent idea but he is a gambler and his jump shot is anything but reliable but at least he won't miss layups like Marion.

I'm not entirely sure about a rim protector unless he is a good C and not just a cover up..
I think we need to go to a good lengthy perimeter defender so we could guard the permeter better and not allow players to just go to the paint so easily..

I'm probably lower on Shumpert than I am on Waiters. They both play good defense when they feel like it, but the respective fan bases of both teams have way overrated each players defensive prowess.

But Shumpert is undoubtedly a less talent player on offense, and Waiters is no wizard on that end of the court. If we're getting a wing player I want a guy who can shoot 3s at a reliable clip and doesn't take bad shots. I think Shumpert fails both of those tests.

Wouldnt the team need a new 6th man and a wing in a trade for Dion. otherwise. If the team doesnt need him to score off the bench they might as well give him 20 games as a starter and then make a move

Wouldnt the team need a new 6th man and a wing in a trade for Dion. otherwise. If the team doesnt need him to score off the bench they might as well give him 20 games as a starter and then make a move

What the team needs Dion to do and what Dion actually does are worlds apart right now.

I think it's obvious, despite all the talk of a need for a rim protector, the Cavs need another wing.

Look at the front court minutes:

Love 36 MPG
Thompson 26 MPG
Varejao 25 MPG

Those minutes are sustainable. I mean, I wish they would work a 4th big into the rotation, but their three bigs aren't being overworked. That's the least number of minutes Varejao has played (per game) since 2006-07. Rarely does The Bullshit Whisperer say anything worth listening to, but I agreed with a recent observation he made in his chat that there were only 4 bigs in the game who would get minutes on this team. That number was hyperbole, but I believe he is absolutely correct to emphasize the difficulty the Cavs would face in acquiring a big who would be able to play more than spot minutes.

On the wing, on the other hand, LeBron is playing 38+ MPG. Marion is playing mostly SG, of all things. Joe Harris is getting minutes. I know Mike Miller has been out, and will return soon, but I think Zach Lowe was absolutely right when he said at the beginning of the year that the Cavs' biggest need was another wing, preferably one who can defend.

Personally, I would welcome sending Dion out to get this wing (whoever it is). But however it's done, I think it needs to happen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."