• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Need some help planning my trip to the US

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simmy

The Land (Down Under) of The Heartless
Staff member
Real Cleveland Fans
Administrator
Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I have been tossing up between Europe and the US for a while now. Our battle for holiday motives has been sports (FC Barcelona & the Cavs) VS summer (she doesn't want to go in the winter - beach, tan, relaxation etc.). I was going to head to Europe first and visit the US in a couple of years (as I've got a bunch of friends in a few different states I'd like to visit via my music networking) but given the highly unlikely and ultimately perfect events of the last month in the basketball world, I simply couldn't miss an opportunity to visit Cleveland while this is all unraveling in it's prime.

So here's where we want to go (in a rough order):

Cleveland--> New York-->Vegas --> LA --> Disneyland --> (possibly) Hawaii.

I want to spend a couple of days in Cleveland (catch a game [or 2], visit downtown etc., head to New York for 4-5 (?) days, Vegas for maybe 2-3 days (as we're really only going for the experience), head to LA for 4-5 <?> days, Disneyland for 4-5 (?) and Hawaii at this point is 50-50 giving us a total of about 3 and a half weeks or so.

I've been to the US before (8 years ago) so have a rough idea of what to do/see and where to go, but I'm sure your recommendations and advice will be of extra assistance.

Basically, I'd like to know:
- Where you would recommend to visit as a tourist
- What attractions to see
- What we can do without etc. etc. Especially in Cleveland
- What hotels you might recommend staying in
- The ease of getting Cavs tickets in advance
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, what time of the year we should go. I was thinking early March of next year so that I can be back home in time for the playoffs, missing the last 3 weeks of the season (which will arguably be the least important). Of course the ideal thing would be to travel to Cleveland during the playoffs and be able to experience it all in the city, but unfortunately realism trumps my pipe dreams!

My girlfriend's cousin works for an airline who can get us super cheap tickets so we're planning on taking advantage of it as best as possible!

Anything else that I haven't mentioned that you might be able to think of would be incredibly welcomed.

Thanks in advance, guys! I would really appreciate all your assistance!

Way too many days for Disneyland. If visiting Las Vegas, take a couple days (from Disneyland) to see Grand Canyon, which is not far from there.

In Cleveland, definitely visit the Cleveland Museum of Art. And if the Cleveland Orchestra is in town, catch a performance at Severance Hall (top 10 orchestra in world). Rock & Roll Hall of Fame perhaps, too (though it isn't my favorite place). Weather in March can still be cold and snowy.

Agreed re: Disney. Two days there is plenty for two adults. I think two days in NYC is probably enough as well. Not because NYC isn't great, but because it's a place where there's so much to do and so many quick ways to get there that you can pack a lot into 48 hours. It's also very overwhelming due to the sheer amount of stimuli.

You've actually got a really good idea of where to go to see the best parts of America, at least geographically. You implied that you're a musician and I'm not sure whether you're into beer, weed and the outdoors or not...

But I'd strongly suggest adding Denver to your list either way. If you're into music, the outsoors and beer...I think colorado is a place you really shouldn't miss. You'd see and experience geography that you don't have on your list and there's a very different culture there than in Vegas, NYC and LA. And if you're into weed...you can smoke/eat it relatively freely there. You can also hike/bike, try a bunch of craft beers and you'll be more likely to actually experience the locals here than your other destinations.

As far as Hawaii, I would change that from maybe to definitely.. I've traveled most of the United States, and I've seen many other countries as well (I've been through Germany, France quite a bit).

Hawaii is the most beautiful place on Earth, at least, that I've seen.

It is so beautiful in fact, that I decided to move there permanently.

However, I would strongly recommend you do not go there in "early March," but at least wait until April. Rainy season in that part of the world is a 60-80 day span starting usually in mid-December and spanning until late January to late February. Sometimes it spills over into March.

Hawaii is absolutely fantastic, perfect, in mid-Spring. It may be slightly too hot for a European (depending on where you live) in the summer months (90 degrees)..

Definitely would advise you see more than just Oahu. See Maui and the Big Island too. I'd suggest spending at least 6 days there.. 3 on Oahu, 2 on Maui, and 1 on either the Big Island in Kona or on the island of Kauai which is a lush green paradise with the most amazing beaches that exist anywhere.

Aloha!

Way too many days for Disneyland. If visiting Las Vegas, take a couple days (from Disneyland) to see Grand Canyon, which is not far from there.

In Cleveland, definitely visit the Cleveland Museum of Art. And if the Cleveland Orchestra is in town, catch a performance at Severance Hall (top 10 orchestra in world). Rock & Roll Hall of Fame perhaps, too (though it isn't my favorite place). Weather in March can still be cold and snowy.

I'd add the Great Lakes Brewery to that list too. Awesome restaurant and really good brews. One of the best craft breweries in the country.

And gour is right...Hawaii is amazing. Definitely a place you should go. Absolutely beautiful.

Agreed re: Disney. Two days there is plenty for two adults. I think two days in NYC is probably enough as well. Not because NYC isn't great, but because it's a place where there's so much to do and so many quick ways to get there that you can pack a lot into 48 hours. It's also very overwhelming due to the sheer amount of stimuli.

You've actually got a really good idea of where to go to see the best parts of America, at least geographically. You implied that you're a musician and I'm not sure whether you're into beer, weed and the outdoors or not...

But I'd strongly suggest adding Denver to your list either way. If you're into music, the outsoors and beer...I think colorado is a place you really shouldn't miss. You'd see and experience geography that you don't have on your list and there's a very different culture there than in Vegas, NYC and LA. And if you're into weed...you can smoke/eat it relatively freely there. You can also hike/bike, try a bunch of craft beers and you'll be more likely to actually experience the locals here than your other destinations.

I second this. I made the mistake of overstaying. I stayed April 16-21. I was ready to go back home by the 18th/19th. You can do a lot in a day or 2. The subway system is fantastic to maneuver throughout the city. But I spent many, many summers in NYC as a kid. So, when I went back, it wasn't overwhelming at all. It felt very normal for me to be there. There is something very special about NYC, but I think a 5 day stay will be too much.

I'd go to Hawaii, if I were you. I've never been, but my mother and sister have been there and of course, Gour can handle everything you need to know.

So my girlfriend and I have been tossing up between Europe and the US for a while now. Our battle for holiday motives has been sports (FC Barcelona & the Cavs) VS summer (she doesn't want to go in the winter - beach, tan, relaxation etc.). I was going to head to Europe first and visit the US in a couple of years (as I've got a bunch of friends in a few different states I'd like to visit via my music networking) but given the highly unlikely and ultimately perfect events of the last month in the basketball world, I simply couldn't miss an opportunity to visit Cleveland while this is all unraveling in it's prime.

So here's where we want to go (in a rough order):

Cleveland--> New York-->Vegas --> LA --> Disneyland --> (possibly) Hawaii.

I want to spend a couple of days in Cleveland (catch a game [or 2], visit downtown etc., head to New York for 4-5 (?) days, Vegas for maybe 2-3 days (as we're really only going for the experience), head to LA for 4-5 <?> days, Disneyland for 4-5 (?) and Hawaii at this point is 50-50 giving us a total of about 3 and a half weeks or so.

I've been to the US before (8 years ago) so have a rough idea of what to do/see and where to go, but I'm sure your recommendations and advice will be of extra assistance.

Basically, I'd like to know:
- Where you would recommend to visit as a tourist
- What attractions to see
- What we can do without etc. etc. Especially in Cleveland
- What hotels you might recommend staying in
- The ease of getting Cavs tickets in advance
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, what time of the year we should go. I was thinking early March of next year so that I can be back home in time for the playoffs, missing the last 3 weeks of the season (which will arguably be the least important). Of course the ideal thing would be to travel to Cleveland during the playoffs and be able to experience it all in the city, but unfortunately realism trumps my pipe dreams!

My girlfriend's cousin works for an airline who can get us super cheap tickets so we're planning on taking advantage of it as best as possible!

Anything else that I haven't mentioned that you might be able to think of would be incredibly welcomed.

Thanks in advance, guys! I would really appreciate all your assistance!

If you are looking for places to visit, I'd recommend going to Hilton Head, South Carolina and Daytona/Ormond Beach, Florida area.

Both are great places and vacation spots.

While in Cleveland eat at Lola and the melt. If you're into American football, consider staying an extra day in Cleveland and visiting the hall of fame in canton.

Disney world is a lot better then Disney land, so that's something for you to think about also.

And Corky and Lenny's. I know there's a huge Jewish population in Australia.

If you're going to Disneyland, try to hit up Laguna Beach and/or San Diego. Both beautiful cities and great places to have some drinks and have a good time.

New Orleans -- The French Quarter.

You're welcome!

One of Cleveland's best features that has popped up in the last few years is its amazing food scene. There might not be a better place to eat in the whole country.

Before you head out here, pop back into this thread and request some recommendations. There are no less than thirty or more restaurants I'd recommend offhand that are just awesome, and very few are expensive in any way.

One of Cleveland's best features that has popped up in the last few years is its amazing food scene. There might not be a better place to eat in the whole country.

Before you head out here, pop back into this thread and request some recommendations. There are no less than thirty or more restaurants I'd recommend offhand that are just awesome, and very few are expensive in any way.

Also, The Melt. One of the best restaurants. Little bit outside of Cleveland, still pretty good.

Also, The Melt. One of the best restaurants. Little bit outside of Cleveland, still pretty good.

There are five Melt locations actually. And it's just called "Melt". (Well, "Melt Bar & Grilled" if you wanna be super technical)

I'll bet you say you're going to "The Walmart's" too... :gap:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."