• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

New ESPN Cavs Beat Reporter: Dave McMenamin

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MirORich

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's not quite the Heat Index, but ESPNLA Lakers beat writer Dave McMenamin (also wrote for NBA.com for a while) is coming to Cleveland to be the ESPN beat writer for the Cavs. Sounds like he'll be the day to day beat guy and the main guy that Sportscenter goes to for Cleveland related stuff but that Windy will still contribute some.

Living in LA, McMenamin is pretty solid, with pretty traditional journalistic approach/standards(i.e. not just a rumor mongerer/twitter gossiper). Just another reminder of how Cleveland is now the center of the NBA world next year, if not for the next 3-4 years. Some of the coverage might be annoying for those of us who prefer homegrown writing but the quality of stories and reporting happening with Haynes and McMenamin joining Lloyd and a Windy will be a lot higher than what we've been used to the last 4 years and that's a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I was looking for this answer earlier in the beat writer thread. Should've noticed there was a whole thread about it.

Really solid hire.

This will allow Windy to write about the Cavs from a macro look. Like the coverage approach.

I live in LA and was fortunate to hear him talk on ESPN LA 710 with other radio guys about his decision to take the job in Cleveland. Dave discussed how if LeBron wins a championship in Cleveland that it would be the second biggest story to ever come out of basketball (behind Jordan coming back from baseball to complete another 3-peat). He seemed genuinely excited about this opportunity. Also, hats off to the LA guys for finally talking about Cleveland and not using it as a time to poke fun at us.

La guy leaving for Cleveland who would of thought it

La guy leaving for Cleveland who would of thought it
The Cavs ARE the NBA right now. Any major sports news enterprise like ESPN will have to have a dedicated presence in Cleveland.

So they had an entire heat index, but we get one beat reporter? I'm still going to take the Ohio gets shit on mindset.

I want ESPN to have a Cavs Corner section on the site.

As someone living in Southern California, Dave is solid, gents. Great addition.. I'm sure you guys won't be disappointed.

Already having his tweets favourited so they come straight to my phone

The thing we're going to have to consider/deal with is that McMenamin and Haynes, who will be covering/writing/tweeting for/about the Cavs on a daily basis, are coming in here without the history and context of what we've been through the last 4 years to get to this point. I have no doubt that we will write quality pieces and be a step up from most of the people covering the team since 2010, but they're not versed in all the RCF style micor and macro debate, especially as it relates to the Tristan selection in 2011, the 2012 draft(Dion surprise at 4, no Jonas, etc.) Luckily the slate has been wiped clean on the 2013 draft so their lack of knowledge on that process wont matter much. They are going to come in here with the outsiders view on the Dion/Kyrie dynamic and on Dion as a whole. All in all, it doesn't matter that much, but I can guarantee there will be some WTF moments in year one when the board as a whole is annoyed or frustrated by their perspective(or lack of) on things relating ownership, the Grant years, and the holdover players. Doubt either will ever feel like "one of us", but I guess its better than what we've had the last 4 years(minus Lloyd and the occasional Windy drop in)

The thing we're going to have to consider/deal with is that McMenamin and Haynes, who will be covering/writing/tweeting for/about the Cavs on a daily basis, are coming in here without the history and context of what we've been through the last 4 years to get to this point. I have no doubt that we will write quality pieces and be a step up from most of the people covering the team since 2010, but they're not versed in all the RCF style micor and macro debate, especially as it relates to the Tristan selection in 2011, the 2012 draft(Dion surprise at 4, no Jonas, etc.) Luckily the slate has been wiped clean on the 2013 draft so their lack of knowledge on that process wont matter much. They are going to come in here with the outsiders view on the Dion/Kyrie dynamic and on Dion as a whole. All in all, it doesn't matter that much, but I can guarantee there will be some WTF moments in year one when the board as a whole is annoyed or frustrated by their perspective(or lack of) on things relating ownership, the Grant years, and the holdover players. Doubt either will ever feel like "one of us", but I guess its better than what we've had the last 4 years(minus Lloyd and the occasional Windy drop in)
That may end up being a very good thing. Talent is what matters, even in journalism. And it has many ways of manifesting itself.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."