• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

New NBPA Executive Director - Michele Roberts

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Billy Hunter's successor. Good thing she has a lot of trial experience because the next CBA battle won't be pretty.

------

NBA players' union elects attorney Michele Roberts as executive director
Adrian Wojnarowski
By Adrian Wojnarowski 15 minutes ago Yahoo Sports

The National Basketball Players Association elected Michele Roberts, a prominent Washington civil litigator, as its executive director.

Roberts, an attorney with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, is the first woman to lead a major North American sports league union.

Roberts was the recommendation of NBPA president Chris Paul and the nine-member executive committee, winning with 32 of 34 votes among committee members and team player representatives, sources said.

Roberts won over the players with a strong background as a civil criminal litigator and an unblemished character. She'll be replacing the deposed Billy Hunter, whose tenure was marked with labor negotiation failures, corruption and ethical entanglements.

The players passed on a career NBA executive with strong ties with the league office, Dallas Mavericks CEO Terdema Ussery.

"I liked her labor law experience," one player representative told Yahoo Sports in a text message. "That was a priority for me."

The process was littered with the NBPA's usual dysfunction, including a late bid by player agents to push back the vote and further study the finalists – or possibly dump them all together. Nevertheless, the vote played out on Monday in Las Vegas and the union will start to move forward with a leader again.

Michele-Roberts_big.jpg

Michele A. Roberts

Partner
Litigation
Washington, D.C.

Michele Roberts is a renowned trial lawyer and a member of the firm’s Litigation Group. Her practice focuses on complex civil and white collar criminal litigation before state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings. Ms. Roberts has tried more than 100 cases to jury verdicts, representing clients in a wide variety of areas, including products liability, white collar, racketeering, securities regulation violations, Title VII issues and premises liability. She has been called the finest pure trial lawyer in Washington, D.C. by Washingtonian Magazine. Ms. Roberts is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.

Ms. Roberts also served for eight years in the office of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, where she was named Chief of the Trial Division. She served as counsel in more than 40 jury trials.

Prominent Harvard law professor Charles Ogletree, Jr. commended Ms. Roberts’ courtroom presence, stating “she becomes the 13th juror, capable of seeing the case as the jury sees it, and therefore able to revise strategy, as necessary, mid-trial to address the jury’s concerns.” (The Legal Times, March 2011)

Ms. Roberts repeatedly has been ranked in the top tier for Litigation: Trial Lawyers in both Chambers Global and Chambers USA. She was the recipient of the Business Trial Lawyer of the Year at the 2011 Chambers USA Awards of Excellence. Ms. Roberts also was named a finalist in the “Litigator of the Year” category at the inaugural Chambers USA Women in Law Awards 2012. She was named one of Benchmark Litigation’s “Top 250 Women in Litigation” in 2013, was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2013-2014 and was included in the list of “Top Guns” in the Ethisphere® Institute’s 2012 “Attorneys Who Matter” rankings. In addition, she has been included in Who’s Who Legal – Business Crime Defense 2013 and Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America 2013. When the Washington Business Journal was looking for innovative and inspiring leaders, they named her to their 2010 “Women Who Mean Business” list. In 2007, she was recognized as one of Washingtonian’s “Big Guns: Top 30 Lawyers in Washington, D.C.,” and since 2003, Washingtonian Magazine has named her to its top lawyer rankings, including 2009’s list of Washington’s “100 Most Powerful Women.” In 2006, The Legal Times also listed her among the top 10 white collar lawyers in Washington, D.C.

Ms. Roberts is a frequent lecturer and presenter to both the bench and bar on a variety of topics related to litigation and trial practice. She serves as an adjunct member of the faculty at Harvard Law School, teaching a Trial Advocacy Workshop and is an instructor with the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.

Bar Admissions
District of Columbia
Education

J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law (University of California at Berkeley), 1980

B.A., Wesleyan University, 1977

Associations

Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers

Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

Member, National Association of Defense Lawyers

Member, Adjunct Faculty, Harvard Law School

Member, DC Sentencing and Criminal Code Commission

Member, Board of Directors, Robert A. Shuker Scholarship Fund

Member, Board of Directors, JusticeAid

Member, Board of Directors, The Washington Ballet
Government Service

Chief of Trial Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia
Related Practices
Litigation
International Litigation and Arbitration
Mass Torts, Insurance and Consumer Litigation
Securities Litigation
Class Action Litigation
Events
PLI's Trial by Jury 2014
PLI’s Current Developments in Federal Civil Practice 2013

Last edited:
There was an agent quoted that all 3 of the top candidates were jokes.

There was an agent quoted that all 3 of the top candidates were jokes.

Apparently the agents did not like being left out of the loop (plus they tried to put at least one agent up for the job), and the whole search process (which accelerated very, very, very quickly) was condemned by some observers. It was a disaster in many ways this week, no doubt, with Kevin Johnson dropping out and other shenanigans. At the same time, 32 of the 34 votes in the end went her way (some abstained) and she was elected easily over the 2 other candidates.

Regardless of the process, she's the one left standing and my guess is that she will be a critical voice for the players in the next CBA. Probably will shape what the Cavs can get done (or not done) several years from now. The players better hope they picked a good person, and they better let her use her lawyer skills (rather than override her, as that dysfunctional union has done time and time again).

On the big plus side, she can't be as bad or as corrupt as Billy Hunter. I mean, it's a very small bar she has to climb over to outdo his performance. They haven't even had a union head for 1.5 years, and that is still not enough time to forget how badly the players have been represented.

Last edited:
We better be prepared to lose the entire 2017 season.

I can't wait for Gilbert to go full 180° and support more lenient penalties for the luxury tax after trying to screw the Heat with his more punitive measures push for the first go around. :chuckles:

I can't wait for Gilbert to go full 180° and support more lenient penalties for the luxury tax after trying to screw the Heat with his more punitive measures push for the first go around. :chuckles:

Oh no doubt

We better be prepared to lose the entire 2017 season.

I really don't see this. Everything Adam Silver has done and especially the way he says thing regarding the partnership between the players and league, leads me to believe that he will work from the middle to make the players and owners see the benefits of growing together without a massive stoppage and strife. I think the tone will be entirely different then the labor negotiations led by Stern and Hunter. I'll also suggest something that I hope is not taken out of context but I really think the post "Be Like Mike" era of 1988-2003 was an entirely different social and cultural landscape. The post 2003 draft era is a different type of player. Smarter, business minded, team concept driven, and less combative.

I think people like Roberts, Paul, LeBron, Silver etc. will craft something that recognizes basketball can and will grow into the worlds second most popular sports and America's second most popular sport. There will of course be a lockout because that is a legal and technical mechanism necessary for the process, but I think the tone, length and collaborative result will be different.

I really don't see this. Everything Adam Silver has done and especially the way he says thing regarding the partnership between the players and league, leads me to believe that he will work from the middle to make the players and owners see the benefits of growing together without a massive stoppage and strife. I think the tone will be entirely different then the labor negotiations led by Stern and Hunter. I'll also suggest something that I hope is not taken out of context but I really think the post "Be Like Mike" era of 1988-2003 was an entirely different social and cultural landscape. The post 2003 draft era is a different type of player. Smarter, business minded, team concept driven, and less combative.

I think people like Roberts, Paul, LeBron, Silver etc. will craft something that recognizes basketball can and will grow into the worlds second most popular sports and America's second most popular sport. There will of course be a lockout because that is a legal and technical mechanism necessary for the process, but I think the tone, length and collaborative result will be different.

Maybe that was Roberts's speech? Apparently her presentation was received well.

On the bright side if there's a lockout shortened season it will mean that an older LeBron will have to play less games in the regular season, so he'll be fresher for the playoffs. Yay?

On the bright side if there's a lockout shortened season it will mean that an older LeBron will have to play less games in the regular season, so he'll be fresher for the playoffs. Yay?

Except during the last lockout-shortened season, there were a couple of back-to-back-to-backs. So if you cram a bunch of games in the same period of time, will you really stay fresher?

Except during the last lockout-shortened season, there were a couple of back-to-back-to-backs. So if you cram a bunch of games in the same period of time, will you really stay fresher?

I was just trying to be optimistic :chuckles: But you're right.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."