1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Oden

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by drewvr91, Jan 30, 2013.

1. drewvr91

drewvr91 Buster Cherry

Greg Oden, who last played in 2009, is hoping he can return to the floor in 2013-14 after numerous microfracture surgeries have limited the 2007 No. 1 pick to just 82 games. If Oden's knees are healthy, the plan is to sign with either the Cleveland Cavaliers or Miami Heat, according to a report from CBSSports.com on Tuesday.

"Right now, I'm not worrying about where," Oden said. "I'm only worried about my knee."

Both teams will have interest in Oden, if healthy, and The Miami Herald reports the center plans to meet with the Heat in the next two weeks.

"It will involve talking to [Heat president] Pat [Riley] and the medical staff to see where Greg is," said Oden's agent, Mike Conley.

"Greg can run, shoot, dunk, but we're not allowing him to do certain things," Conley added. "He's taking it slower than in the past. The biggest challenge is not doing too much too soon. In past rehabs, it was a little sore. Now he feels he can do anything. We're telling him not to [do too much]."

There is a chance one or both teams could sign Oden to a minimum deal late this season that would also include 2013-14, which might give him a small amount of salary protection.

The chance to acquire Oden would be a blessing. IMO getting Oden would be like getting Andrew Bynum without having to offer that 15plus mill a year contract

• Like Like x 10
  2. brownsbuck6

brownsbuck6 In the Rotation

Re: Oden eyes Cavs, Heat

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x206919337/AP-source-Cavs-interested-in-Greg-Oden

3. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

Here's the ESPN take on the situation. If he comes back, he'd be the first guy to come back to the NBA after 3 micro-fracture surgeries. He's already the only basketball player I know to need micro-fracture surgery from an injury he received getting out of a chair in the off-season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...aliers-top-suitors-greg-oden-according-report

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. ChicagoCavFan

ChicagoCavFan Moderator

:chuckles: That's great. If CLE, keep him away from The Corner Alley.

• Like Like x 8
  5. CalBuckeyeRob

CalBuckeyeRob Situational Stopper

When every NBA team has a bench with dead space and the Cavs are not up against the cap, not sure why you wouldn't push very hard to add Oden and hope that the doctors can repair the knee injury. He is at the point where if he doesn't get back in 2013-14 he is probably going to call it a career anyway. And if, like Z, they do finally get the injury fixed, you may get an 8-10 year impact center.

6. Omar The Horse

Omar The Horse In the Rotation

Noel/Andy/Zeller/Oden
    Thompson/Speights
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuggles

Fuggles Banned

Best case scenario is we get a guy who can play limited minutes for a couple of years and we get to worry about whether or not his knee is going to turn into dust every game.

Sounds like a hoot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Guardian of the Cavaliers

3 micro-fracture surgeries?
    Call me skeptical that he can come back.

9. qaws23

qaws23 Smartest Gm of all time!

[​IMG]

10. Damage

Damage ****face

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie Real Cavs Fan

and Kevin Love??
    [​IMG]
    :chuckles:

12. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

Lol I said the same thing to a buddy yesterday, minus Speights. It makes you all giddy inside, even though the odds are against Oden making a successful comeback.

Even if he could only play an effective 10 minutes a night; adding him to Noel, Varejao, and Thompson would be filth. At least we would have insurance for the oft-injured Varejao and Oden :chuckles:

That said, probably won't be getting Noel and possibly not even Oden. Wishful thinking, though.

13. MikeOC33

MikeOC33 Cavs Fanatic

I'm a big Buckeye fan, live in Ohio, obvious Cavs fan.... someone tell me why the Cavs are on his list? He wants to get back to the league, I understand and support that, and the Cavs have cap space, I know that... but there are plenty of other teams that have or can make cap space if they wanted to take a chance on him.

I get a team like the Heat, or another contending team that can use a big man (even for 15 minutes a game)... but why isn't Indiana or Memphis being talked about as a spot for him too?
    -He lived most of his life in Indiana (not sure if his family is still there or not), was a big name there in HS play.
    -There is no big important connection between Ohio State Buckeyes and the Cavs... except they are in the same state- which I just don't see as being that important for this situation.
    -His agent is Mike Conley Sr., he wouldn't want to be reunited with Mike Conley Jr. on a contending Griz team? Yes, I know that cap space/luxury tax is the problem there... but if they really wanted him (and maybe they don't?) and he really wanted to play with Conley again, they'd find a way to make it happen.

Again, I'd be all for the Cavs taking a shot with him... I just don't see why the only two teams being mentioned are Heat and Cavs... why aren't the Jazz being mentioned or the Wizards, or other teams that have or will have cap space....?

• Like Like x 1
  14. theshad

theshad In the Rotation

Having one of the best point guards in the league who happens to be only 20 years old is a hell of a lot of enticement.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hurl Bruce

Hurl Bruce Sixth Man

Oden isn't a glitz and glam guy who needs a big market, he spent maybe the best year of his life in Ohio, and he would have the biggest dick in the state.

16. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

Probably for they same reason that they were on Andrew Bynum's list. That reason is that the Cavs have cap space and can bid up his market price.

• Like Like x 3
  17. The Human Q-Tip

The Human Q-Tip NBA Starter

You could have said the same about Z after all his foot surgeries as well. Z's situation demonstrates that it is entirely possible for a flawed surgery to derail a possible recovery. It wasn't until his seventh(I think) surgery that someone finally decided to do something different by restructuring the foot, and the result was that he returned and had a strong career after almost all of us had written him off. So, the fact that Oden has had a couple of unsuccessful surgeries does not necessarily demonstrate that this last surgery can't be successful. Presumably, a flawed rehab/recovery plan may have been just as damaging to Oden as the failure to do the proper surgeries in Z's case was to him. Of course, the trick is determining whether the problem was flawed rehab, or a flawed patient.

So at bottom, I think this really comes down to a purely medical decision for which most of us lack adequate information. I quite suspect you're right, but then, I also didn't expect Z's return. I think the only logical course here is just to trust on the medical staff, because they know a hell of a lot more about this than do any of us.

18. AustinCarr

AustinCarr Sad.

The Z compairison has never been a good one for Oden. Z needed aggressive reconstructive surgery to "Fix" his feet. In other words, they basically rebuild the bones in his feet so they worked like they should. Once that same aggressive surgery had been done on both feet they were stable and able to take the impact of sports activities.

Best I know there isnt some fancy special Micro-fracture surgery Oden has gone through to actually fix the root issue like Z has with his reconstructive surgery. I may be wrong on that, but these seem like pretty dissimilar recurring injuries to me.

That said, I cant say I wouldnt still give Oden a flier.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CalBuckeyeRob

CalBuckeyeRob Situational Stopper

Microfracture surgery is also relatively new. It was developed late 80s. It has only been used extensively for the past 10-15 years. So there is reason to expect that doctors will continue to refine the technique and rehab process that follows and find new solutions.

20. Jon

Jon ~

If Oden were to come back playing like he was never injured, almost any team would find room to give him major minutes; but assuming he comes back far short of that - the Cavs could still afford him minutes - albeit it gets messier if we take a C in the draft.