• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Offseason Rumors

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
We'll kick it off with this piece of information from Nick Cafardo:

There’s no question the Indians are going to deal a starting pitcher for a hitter this offseason. As the year went on the Indians seemed more content to deal Danny Salazar than Carlos Carrasco, who they made available at the trading deadline. Word is they’ll continue that way this offseason.

Interesting....

I would love for them to go after Cespedes this off-season, but his price maybe a little bit too high.

I would think they could get more for of a top of the line guy like Carlos than Danny, but they clearly don't want to risk their strong starting pitching too much.

Interesting....

I would love for them to go after Cespedes this off-season, but his price maybe a little bit too high.

Cespedes isn't happening. He's going to get paid, most likely by the Mets, and most likely in an overpay. The Indians will almost certainly be looking for a young player under team control for the next several years if they deal a starting pitcher.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If I was more confident in Bauer's ability to produce at a higher level moving forward or if I were more sold on Cody Anderson (I think he's in for a significant regression next year) - I'd be more comfortable trading Salazar.

That said, I do believe that high end hitting is significantly more valuable than high end pitching. So if they can get a productive, middle of the order hitter, I'd be ok with trading Salazar to do it. I just don't think those types of guys are available.

More likely, and this concerns me, the Indians would trade a guy in Salazar that I believe has shown to be a top 15 pitcher in the AL for a AAA hitter that is projectable.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If I was more confident in Bauer's ability to produce at a higher level moving forward or if I were more sold on Cody Anderson (I think he's in for a significant regression next year) - I'd be more comfortable trading Salazar.

That said, I do believe that high end hitting is significantly more valuable than high end pitching. So if they can get a productive, middle of the order hitter, I'd be ok with trading Salazar to do it. I just don't think those types of guys are available.

More likely, and this concerns me, the Indians would trade a guy in Salazar that I believe has shown to be a top 15 pitcher in the AL for a AAA hitter that is projectable.
Let me put your mind at ease. The Indians aren't trading Salazar or Carrasco for a projectable AAA hitter. Zero chance of that happening.

My hope right now is that we can put together a package centered around Cody Anderson for a hitter. Like you, I believe he's due for some serious regression. Looking at guys with comparable K-rates over the last 15 years, and Anderson has the lowest ERA by over a run. I say deal him while his value is still high.

Let me put your mind at ease. The Indians aren't trading Salazar or Carrasco for a projectable AAA hitter. Zero chance of that happening.

My hope right now is that we can put together a package centered around Cody Anderson for a hitter. Like you, I believe he's due for some serious regression. Looking at guys with comparable K-rates over the last 15 years, and Anderson has the lowest ERA by over a run. I say deal him while his value is still high.

Or maybe he's just pretty good?

Uh the other teams in baseball have access to the same stats you guys have and probably have the same opinion of Cody Anderson and his low K rate. This idea of 'packaging' a bunch of C prospects never really happens, and when it does, it gets you a Mark DeRosa.

Or maybe he's just pretty good?

I guess it's possible that he's an exception. It's very doubtful though, especially to the extent of this past season. When the ball is being put in play so often, you're at the mercy of chance quite a bit. He was very lucky this season in terms of BABIP.

Without substantial improvement in the aspect of missing bats, he'll struggle to be get anywhere close to the results he obtained last year.

Uh the other teams in baseball have access to the same stats you guys have and probably have the same opinion of Cody Anderson and his low K rate. This idea of 'packaging' a bunch of C prospects never really happens, and when it does, it gets you a Mark DeRosa.

I didn't say my plan was to just give him away. If you put out your feelers, and make your offers, and can't do any better than a Mark DeRosa-type, I'm not advocating for a trade.

I wish the FO could convince the Reds to deal Todd Frazier. Would be a great fit.

I wish the FO could convince the Reds to deal Todd Frazier. Would be a great fit.

Strong disagree here.

Not that the Reds shouldn't trade him, because they definitely should.

Pulling him out of GAB is a huge negative though, his road splits are so average.

I guess it's possible that he's an exception. It's very doubtful though, especially to the extent of this past season. When the ball is being put in play so often, you're at the mercy of chance quite a bit. He was very lucky this season in terms of BABIP.

Without substantial improvement in the aspect of missing bats, he'll struggle to be any better than a mediocre spot starter.

He was 10% over the MLB average. He could develop, drop that number, and be quite servicable.

10% over MLB average in what?

percentage of plate apperances where a ball is put in play.

So. An atbat ends 78% of the time with the ball put in play, but has a .06 lower BABIP than league average.

However, he's been on par with that number (78%) every year he was in the minors.

Reactions: AZ_
I just struggle to see who is available that is worth dealing Salazar or Carrasco and it end up being a net gain for the Indians.

Puig scares me with declining numbers and locker room issues
Frazier's road splits are meh
Ozuna/Prado might be interesting? But again, not sure taking away one of the big 3 is worth it

Just feels like trading Salazar/Carrasco for a bat is shuffling pieces without actually improving much.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."