1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the Cavaliers and the Love of the 3-Point Shot

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Ben, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Read the rest of this solid article → Here
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Jon

Jon ~

May 6, 2006
    The Cavs sure are bricking a lot of shots off the front of the rim - which is the classic sign of tired legs.

There's somewhat of a dichotomy at work, in that it's hard for a team that puts up top effort on D to consistently knock down 3pters thanks to tired legs. Of course the Suns have always run a lot AND maintained a high 3pt%, but they don't play much D. I do think the fact they take so many shots helps keep their shooters locked in on range. The Spurs were tops in the league in 3pt% last season, but their defense dropped down to 11th.

So, there may be some ways to balance it, but teams like the Spurs, Suns, and Celtics move the ball exceptionally well, have numerous offensive threats, and create a lot of great looks for their shooters in the rhythm of their offense. We can't do much about our lack of offensive threats, but we can work on the other areas.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Lee

Lee Gold Star Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Great analysis, but teams like the Spurs, suns and Celts dont have 2 of their best players as rookies (including a rookie pg) plus a starting pf and sf going a combined 2 for 836 on open 3 point shots every night. Reality is we are better in almost every facet of the game than I expected at this point except for the performance of Casspi.
  4. action

action Run = FUN = LIES!

Feb 20, 2009
    When your two best inside players excel at offensive rebounding and your other offensive options are limited, an open three should be your primary look. You don't have to make all of them, but hitting a couple can open up the inside when defenders close out.