• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Personal Training

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phills14

Cleveland Sports Fan
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife is on a workout kick and she's doing great at it. She really enjoys it and is starting to talk about becoming a personal trainer. She's been a stay at home mom for the last 10 years and now that the kids are almost all in school she's looking ahead at a career that she can take on that will allow her some schedule flexibility.

She's found a 6 month program that teaches her everything she needs to know (work out techniques, diet, motivation, running a personal training business, etc). After she finishes the class she has to take a state exam to be a licensed personal trainer.

Anyone work in the industry? Can anyone clue me into what she can expect? Are jobs available at gyms? Are there a lot of night and weekend times or can she realistically make a solid business out of working mostly between 9 and 3 m-f with a few jobs on nights and weekends? What are the common rates for a 1 hr personal training session and how much of that does she have to give to the gyms?

Thanks in advance!

Which certification program is she taking? (with who: ACE, ISSA, NASM, ACSM)?

Getting a personal training job is a bit tricky. You will find that most people do their training with a trainer after 5pm (that's when they're the busiest). The personal training hours is split like this at my gym (8am-12pm then they're not back in until 4pm-8pm). If this is a paying member, they make exceptions and will sometimes come in as early as 5am if that's what a client needs.

Most trainers are off on Sundays- again- unless the client pays them to come in. Payments range upon the package that member wants. If you want 2x a week, it can be as low as $25 or as much as $40 (per session). The bad thing is the gym takes all of it and then kicks a percentage to the trainer. -- They do not make a lot of money.

Cancellations are very, very common. You find that people think they want someone to help them out, but then after a couple of sessions, the pace is too much for them.

It's a field that you absolutely have to love and have patience to deal with the snarky "I think I know better than this trainer" person(s) that you're bound to encounter.

A lot of trainers have second jobs, because of the uncertain paycheck. It's a grind type of job.

This is the program she is looking into. She will attend the open house soon to get more info
http://www.nptiohio.edu/

Really personal training to her is more of a lifestyle than a money maker. It'd be great if she can pull in some money but it's not necessary for us to survive.

Yeah, Nicky is the best go around for advice on here.

All I can really throw into the bunch is my girlfriends, sisters fiance is a personal trainer and he works an on-and-off schedule. He will have clients from 7-11am, off a couple/few hours, then back for more clients anywhere from 2-9. Mainly M-F, but he will have his occasional Saturdays/Sundays that I believe he charges extra for.

When he isn't training them, he is making the schedules for the next day(s) for each individual person/class he teaches.

He also is one of those distributors for Advocare products (Spark, Rehydrate, etc..) So many people are so health conscious now-a-days that they will take any sort of supplement. That is literally his side job. Doesn't work any other jobs. He has been building his base for quite a while and actually makes pretty decent money for doing absolutely nothing. If your wife can get into one of those Advocare programs, Beachbody coach, ItWorks! person, and she has a lot of friends/family/acquaintances, could be even extra side cash. It is quite annoying seeing my friends who do it post all those fishhook statuses all the time, but one of them is a Beachbody coach and makes 6 figures/year. Put in the effort and you will see the reward.

Good luck. Maybe she can create her own workout DVD's "Pilates w/Phills: 14 moves, 14lbs., 14 weeks™"

Good luck. Maybe she can create her own workout DVD's "Pilates w/Phills: 14 moves, 14lbs., 14 weeks™"

If you're not in a marketing job, you should be :biggrinthumb:

I give up

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance