1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser. You can find the style chooser on the bottom left of the website. - Ben

Pluto: Childress, WCO, and the draft

Discussion in 'Browns Talk' started by Triplethreat, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Triplethreat

Triplethreat Preview Team

Wouldn't complain if we went defense with the 4 pick. Ore decided to move down and get more picks, then took Coples to go opposite of Sheard. Because AFC North teams are built on the premise that defense wins titles.

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

wouldn't mind solidifying our defense at #4 if RGIII isn't there....he'd be too hard to pass up after what Cam Newton did this past season

3. Soda

Soda Bania'd

I agree with you. I don't want to give up picks to move around the top of the draft. If RG3 falls to 4, I'm taking him or selling to the highest bidder. If he isn't there, I'm either trading down slightly or grabbing the top player on the Browns board. If he is defense, fine. It isn't like the Browns are set on defense and they could use a great CB/DE for certain.

1 person likes this.
  4. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

Hey, defense and a slightly above average offense just won the Super Bowl.

While drafting Claiborne wouldn't surprise me, my biggest surprise would be ANYONE knowing exactly what the Browns plan to do. Their first round plan in the last two drafts have been completely impossible to predict.

9 people like this.
  5. Triplethreat

Triplethreat Preview Team

I'm one that thinks the Browns are pretty committed to solidifying the defense first.

I for one would love Coples in the 8-10 range if it means we grab another first next year.

Our D-Line would be set for the next 10 years with Coples, and it would be looking like an ELITE D-Line, sort of the route the Giants went. Also, we need good pass rush from our front four because of our defense under Jauron, is more base and doesn't mix in too many blitzes.

6. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

I feel like the defense is already solidified in that it is above average....do we really need the 4th pick in the draft to go defense now, too?

If we do, it better be a legitimate game changing defensive player.

7. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

I would rather take Claiborne over Coples at #4 if we go defense

8. Rookie

Rookie Situational Stopper

We have a top 7 defense, I really think it's time we work on our offense.

9. cdt

cdt Oh My God! Staff Member

I don't want Couples I've heard his attitude sucks, I'll go with Claiborne.

This defense better do some sadistic fucking training in Arizona or Denver because they're going to be on the field about 50 minutes a game.

1 person likes this.
  10. speedyd718

speedyd718 Game Changer

This is a joke right, because Eli isn't slightly above average in the least bit. Let's get real here. We need a QB and going defense isn't an option, on my board anyway.
    /rant

7 people like this.
  11. Soda

Soda Bania'd

Not necessarily. I, for one, am not in favor of trading up and losing picks just because we have needs on offense. If the best player on the board is a defensive guy, I'm in favor of taking it unless we're able to get a good deal in a trade.

Agreed. The player should be a slam-dunk stud.

12. DaNewCavs

DaNewCavs In the Rotation

Eli is better than slightly above average, but their running game was worst in the league this year. They were also middle of the league in giveaways. The Giants offense only appears much better because we have gotten used to watching the Browns putrid offense for the past 3 years.

5 people like this.
  13. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

I do agree with you in that I am absolutely against trading ANY picks, whatsoever, unless it involves getting Luck. :chuckles: I just find it hard to believe RG3 won't be there at #4 and I have trouble passing him up for more defense. I mean, the season has only been over for a couple months. Have we already forgotten the nightmares induced by watching this offense?

14. Soda

Soda Bania'd

We're on the same page. I want RG3 at #4. If he's not there and the next best guy is on defense. Defense it is. I'd also trade up for Luck.

1 person likes this.
  15. speedyd718

speedyd718 Game Changer

I felt like this until last night. The throw that Eli makes on the sideline to Manningham did it for me. We need a QB that can make that throw, at all costs. Those throws win games.

2 people like this.
  16. caf

caf Banņed

Granted that was a great throw, but what good is a great throw if we don't have a receiver on our offense that could pull that in?

God, this offense has more holes than swiss cheese. Hopefully we get VJax or Colston. Doubtful though.

2 people like this.
  17. Gimme Some Mo

Gimme Some Mo All-Star

For some reason, some people still view the Giants as the Giants of 4 years ago. They aren't that dominate defensive team anymore.

Giants offense was 9th overall at 24.6 PPG.

Giants defense was 25th overall at 25 ppg allowed.

The Browns on the other hand were 5th overall at 19.2 ppg allowed (20 spots better than the Giants) and yet they went 4-12. IMO it should pretty much be common sense that the Browns need to go offense.

2 people like this.
  18. DaNewCavs

DaNewCavs In the Rotation

They dealt with a lot of injuries on defense during the regular season, which is why they only finished 9-7 this year. However, they got healthy toward the end. They finished strong giving up only 84 points in their last 6 games. 4 of those games were against top ten offenses in the league.

11 people like this.
  19. GreatGoo

GreatGoo Awaiting 1st Championship

Speedy you and I are on the same page. This a QB league now with all the rule changes. We will never see another Dilfer. We need to draft a franchise QB. End of story. But if the Browns don't feel that RG3 is a franchise QB then I'm all for taking the best player available, offense or defense.

1 person likes this.
  20. Gimme Some Mo

Gimme Some Mo All-Star

If the Browns do go defense, the defense could be amazing if they hit on the picks. The Browns could try to create their defense this season, and then only have to worry about the offense in the future. I highly doubt this will happen, but what if they took defense with their first 3 picks (or 2 out of the 3). The defense could look something like this....

CB: Haden, Claiborne, Brown, Skrine

S: Ward, Young/Adams/Brown

LB: DQ, Cocong, #22/36, Maiva

DL: Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, #36/22

That is a very young defense that would be together for the next 5 years (or more). Obviously our offense would still be terrible, but at least we'd have one side of the ball figured out.