• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Pre-Employment Nicotine Test

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrote Squad

All-Star
Reaction score
I have been offered a job but need to go in tomorrow to complete a drug/nicotine test. I have been chewing pouches for quite a while but have been limiting usage over the weekend to 2-4 pouches a day. I have not chewed at all today and my test is tomorrow around noon. Anyone have experience whether or not I'll pass? If not, any recommendations on how to make sure that I do? FWIW, it will probably be a urine test.

I have been offered a job but need to go in tomorrow to complete a drug/nicotine test. I have been chewing pouches for quite a while but have been limiting usage over the weekend to 2-4 pouches a day. I have not chewed at all today and my test is tomorrow around noon. Anyone have experience whether or not I'll pass? If not, any recommendations on how to make sure that I do? FWIW, it will probably be a urine test.

Don't use tobacco?

Unless this is a job in the health field, I don't get why you have to be nicotine free. I say this as someone who isn't/never will be a smoker. I find it to be a disgusting habit, but don't agree with it being the determining factor of getting a job.

Unless this is a job in the health field, I don't get why you have to be nicotine free. I say this as someone who isn't/never will be a smoker. I find it to be a disgusting habit, but don't agree with it being the determining factor of getting a job.

Maybe it's just to determine how much he pays for his health insurance? I know that smokers pay like four times as much per month for health insurance where I work.

Based off only having a day and a half until the test, chances are you will not pass. I guess you could try chugging water all day today and tomorrow and hoping it dilutes out to under the cutoff.

Cleveland Clinic?

Well, from someone on the other end... A lot of organizations that are testing this have significant money invested in the healthcare of their workforce. Testing and making consequences for using tobacco does help them control the cost of healthcare (which can be obnoxious).

One of the issues with the whole Obamacare plan is that nobody seems to realize (or care) that healthcare is, indeed, a huge cost for the employer. When everyone says that it's just a "small change", they are being ignorant about it.

So, the ones paying for healthcare for those people who are careless end up needing to step their game up. As an employee, would you rather pay significantly more for your insurance (i.e. step-it-up to provide for those who don't do it for themselves), or would you rather make a change to help your health and wallet? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You will not pass. There is something else besides Nicotine they test for and you need 30 days for it to clear.

Get a Whizzinator? Didn't a Pittsburgh Steeler use this a few years ago?

whizzinator-full-rotate-1.gif

You might be ok. An average smoker will pass a urine screen 95% of the time after 72 hours. 5% margin of error because people's metabolisms differ. You only have half that time nicotine free, but if you limited your intake enough over the previous few days the relatively short half-life might work in your favor to get you under the threshold for a positive screen. The half-life of nicotine in the body is about 2 hours, and the detectable limit in most screen kits is between 0.1 and 0.5 ng/ml. I don't know how much you had been putting in your system as I know nothing about the concentration and absorption of chewing pouches, but say you absorbed 10 ng/ml the last time you chewed, it would be about 12-14 hours before it was undetectable. That's about one cigarette worth. You have 36 hours to work with, so if you chewed an equivalent of 3 cigarettes before you stopped for 36 hours you're fine. You might know better than me how much is in a pouch vs a cigarette and that may help you get an idea if you should worry or not.

Blood and hair, I'd worry. Urine I think you'll be fine. Don't be stupid and try to drink too much water though. Not only can that backfire and cause you organ damage, it will also flag your test and be an automatic fail if your urine specific gravity falls under normal human ranges.

I spent some time in toxicology during my clinical rotations and did many drug screens. I've seen more people fail for trying to be cute than actually being positive for a drug metabolite.

You will not pass. There is something else besides Nicotine they test for and you need 30 days for it to clear.

You're talking about cotinine. Its a metabolite of nicotine. Its half-life is 20 hours instead of 2, so it is used sometimes to monitor people who are supposed to be clean for one reason or another, but is not typically used for employment screens as its a bit more expensive than a generic nicotine urine screen.

Just curious, have you heard back yet about the test results?

I cant wait until they are testing sugar, cholesterol, using dna analysis topredict genetic disorders.

Drug and alcohol testing started out as a way to test if employees are impaired when incurring an accident at work. now Insurance companies are dictating companies hiring policies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."