• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Progressive Field Renovations Planned Over 2 Years

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pyro

Go Cleveland!
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>AP Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Indians?src=hash">#Indians</a> planning two-year renovation of Progressive Field. Story upcoming.</p>&mdash; Tom Withers (@twithersAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/twithersAP/statuses/497123975290716163">August 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here we go.

Story by Withers:

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Indians plan an extensive renovation of Progressive Field over the next two years, remodeling the 20-year-old downtown ballpark to better connect with their fans.

The club intends to make interior and exterior modifications to the area stretching from center to right field, a person familiar with the plans confirmed for The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The changes will require a modest reduction in seats, which the team will offset by the addition of social areas to accommodate fans, said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team has not made its designs public.

The first phase of the project, which is expected to be completed by opening day in 2015, will be privately financed, the person said.

The Indians are expected to announce details on the upgrades at the 43,000-seat ballpark later this week.

In making substantial improvements to Progressive Field, the team will join the city's two other professional teams, the Browns and Cavaliers, who are both in the process of making enhancements at FirstEnergy Stadium and Quicken Loans Arena. While the current projects are being funded privately, some in the future may be paid with public money after voters in Cuyahoga County approved a 20-year extension of a tax on cigarettes and alcohol in May.

Known as Jacobs Field when it opened in 1994 to replace crumbling Municipal Stadium, the 43,000-seat home of Cleveland's major league baseball team has undergone numerous alterations over the past two decades. The Indians have been proactive in keeping Progressive Field outfitted with the latest in scoreboards, concessions and other services to please today's fan, and the ballpark has aged gracefully and looks as good as it did when the gates opened in '94.

However, the club has seen attendance drop from a franchise-high 3.46 million in 1999 to 1.57 million last season. The Indians are drawing only 18,659 fans per game this year — second-lowest in the majors.

There are numerous reasons for the decline: a slow-to-recover economy, dwindling population and baseball's struggle to lure younger fans among them. The Indians sold out 455 straight games from 1995 to 2001, but those days are long gone, which is why the team is looking to change the look of its ballpark to attract fans.

Also, teams are more cognizant that younger fans are seeking a different game-day experience, which may include higher-end foods and beverages, social media areas, bars and restaurants.

The timing of the Indians' renovation coincides with a rebirth of downtown Cleveland, which got a recent boost when the Republican Party announced plans to hold its 2016 national convention in the city and NBA superstar LeBron James decided to come back and play for the Cavs.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-indians-remodel-downtown-ballpark

Progressive Field is outfitted with the latest in concessions? Every year they remove more options...

I have no idea how the ballpark can be renovated to make it seem "cool".

Good move by them to renovate the park. They've done a really good job to date of improving the game day experience, but this could be a big leap forward. With all the attention LeBron will bring to the area, this can only be a good thing for the team.

I've read that the upper right field deck is gone.

I think instead of removing it, that is where they will put the social sections. Think Coors Field.

"Social media areas" seems like something that people who use social media will have no interest in.

Other than that, seems good.

"Social media areas" seems like something that people who use social media will have no interest in.

Except the Social Media Suite is always packed with people.

Except the Social Media Suite is always packed with people.
If they're planning on letting people into more suites for free, then yea, they will be packed too. But they would be packed regardless of the name and idea attached to it

How about a renovated team! Am I doing this right?!

I was going to ask if the renovated stadium will include an above .500 team more than twice a decade ... but that just makes me depressed. What is a social media suite? Seriously.

My old man is a business agent for brick layers. He met with a dude (financial advisor or something) from the Tribe that was talking about this. The guy told my dad that ideally they want to remove the seats in the upper deck in the right field and turn it into a place with restaurants and bars. The guy said the biggest problem they were having was figuring out how to remove the lights in right field to make this all work.

On a side note.... The food and service at Tribe games is awful. It is one thing that has really turned me off to going to games. The people they hire couldn't move any slower. The lines are always so damn long because they don't have all the concessions open and the people move so slow. The food is always cold or lukewarm. It pisses me off that when I go to a Captains or Rubberducks game, there is FAR more food options and the food is ALWAYS better quality. It's a joke.

My old man is a business agent for brick layers. He met with a dude (financial advisor or something) from the Tribe that was talking about this. The guy told my dad that ideally they want to remove the seats in the upper deck in the right field and turn it into a place with restaurants and bars. The guy said the biggest problem they were having was figuring out how to remove the lights in right field to make this all work.

On a side note.... The food and service at Tribe games is awful. It is one thing that has really turned me off to going to games. The people they hire couldn't move any slower. The lines are always so damn long because they don't have all the concessions open and the people move so slow. The food is always cold or lukewarm. It pisses me off that when I go to a Captains or Rubberducks game, there is FAR more food options and the food is ALWAYS better quality. It's a joke.

Damn, really? I wouldn't know, I never get food at ball games unless it's dollar dog night.

Only thing I get at sporting events is a bag of popcorn. Popcorn is never bad to me. Cold. Warm. Dry. :chuckles:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."