• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Projecting the Cavs in 2014-15

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PriceFan14

Situational Stopper
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11405809/cleveland-cavaliers-scary-good-offense-2014-nba

nba_u_love1x_576x324.jpg

Steve Mitchell/USA TODAY Sports
Kevin Love's defensive skill set will immediately impact the Cleveland Cavaliers' performance.

Sixty-eight wins.

That's the crazy, amazingly optimistic projection my SCHOENE projection system spit out for the Cleveland Cavaliers once Kevin Love was added to LeBron James' new roster.

Ordinarily, I'd close a column like this with the projection. In this case I think it makes more sense to start with the eye-popping figure and why it is as crazy as it looks -- before explaining why the Cavaliers actually might not be getting enough credit in some ways.

SCHOENE's shortcoming: defense

The wildest aspect of SCHOENE's projection isn't Cleveland's win total, but the team's projected ranking on defense: fourth in the NBA, as in fourth-fewest points allowed per possession. That doesn't square with conventional wisdom about the Cavaliers' defensive woes, and there are a couple of reasons for that.

SCHOENE doesn't take into account measures of individual defense, so Love's poor rim protection isn't considered. At the same time, Love's stout defensive rebounding and his penchant for avoiding fouls are part of the SCHOENE projection, so Cleveland is getting all of Love's strengths and none of his weaknesses.

Nonetheless, SCHOENE does see the Cavaliers as below-average at defending opponent shots, projecting them 17th in effective field goal percentage (eFG%) allowed. Because shot defense is the most important single factor, in practice it's nearly impossible to be elite defensively without limiting opponents' shooting. No team with a below-average eFG% ranked in the NBA's top nine defenses last season. However, because it's tougher to project shot defense than other factors, SCHOENE puts most teams close to league average, meaning other defensive factors carry relatively more weight in the projection.

ESPN's real plus-minus, which attributes defensive performance to individuals based on how teams defend with them on the floor and on the bench, along with box-score stats, can give us a better idea of how much Cleveland's new lineup might struggle on defense.

Here's my stab at how the Cavaliers will distribute playing time next season, based on projected games played, along with real plus-minus ratings for both offense and defense projected for 2014-15 based on the typical aging curve.

10690342_708270805919237_6676795647522220345_n.jpg

Even with real plus-minus rating Love as an above-average defender, poor marks for players such as Kyrie Irving and Mike Miller drag down the team overall. Weighted for playing time, real plus-minus estimates Cleveland will allow 1.0 points per 100 possessions more than league average -- about the same as last year's Brooklyn Nets, who ranked 19th in the NBA in defensive rating.

Giving the Cavaliers the real plus-minus estimate on defense in SCHOENE drags their win projection all the way down to 60 wins. There is some hope Cleveland can outperform that. Real plus-minus can't account for new head coach David Blatt, and coaches tend to have far more influence on the defensive end than on offense. If Blatt can merely get the Cavaliers to league average on defense, their SCHOENE projection would be 62 wins -- best in the NBA. That's how good Cleveland figures to be on offense.

Potentially historic offense

As good as you think the Cavaliers might be on offense, they've got the chance to be better. Let's revisit those real plus-minus projections. Weighting offense in the same manner gives Cleveland an offensive rating 10.0 points per 100 possessions better than league average. Since the NBA began tracking team turnovers in 1973-74, no team has managed even 10 points per 100 possessions better than league average, with the 2003-04 Dallas Mavericks (plus-9.9) getting closest.

Steve Mitchell/USA TODAY Sports
Joined by James and Love, Irving and the Cavs' offense could go down in the record books.

SCHOENE is a tad more conservative, merely projecting the Cavaliers for the best offensive rating (118.0 points per 100 possessions) the league has seen in that four-decade span. Because offense has trended upward throughout the NBA, SCHOENE's projection would rank Cleveland second in modern history relative to league average behind those Mavericks.

The Cavaliers can run out an offensive quintet more talented than any in the NBA last season. A possible starting lineup of Irving, James, Love, Anderson Varejao and Dion Waiters would have a combined offensive real plus-minus of plus-16.6 points per 100 possessions. The best lineup that played regularly in the NBA last season by this measure was the Clippers' starting five with J.J. Redick, at plus-14.2. Miami's best offensive lineup, with Ray Allen at shooting guard and James at power forward, was plus-13.3.

Zooming in, Cleveland could feature unprecedented offensive versatility. Since the ABA-NBA merger, no team has ranked in the top five in all four offensive factors (shooting, rebounding, free throws and turnover rate). In fact, only one team since 1996 (the 2005-06 Dallas Mavericks) has ranked in the top 10 in all four factors. SCHOENE projects the Cavaliers first in both eFG% on offense and offensive rebounding and fifth in the other two factors.

Specifically, few modern teams have managed to combine high shooting percentages with effective offensive rebounding. Last season, only the Houston Rockets were in the top 10 in both categories. Love's versatility offers Cleveland the possibility of playing big and controlling the offensive glass while also spacing the floor.

Good enough to win?

For the regular season, the Cavaliers' mix of hyper-efficient offense and average-to-slightly-worse defense should make them one of the league's best teams. The obvious comparison is to the Mike D'Antoni Phoenix Suns, who ranked among the top 10 offense in the NBA relative to league average in both 2004-05 and 2006-07, with defenses near average. Those Suns won 62 and 61 games, respectively, and that's a good guess for Cleveland. More often than not, such win totals have been good enough for the NBA's best record.

The playoffs are a slightly different story. There is evidence that good defenses tend to beat good offenses in the NBA Finals, and only one team has won the title with a below-average regular-season defense since the merger. (That team, the 2001 Los Angeles Lakers, was a major fluke; those Lakers had the league's best defense in the playoffs.)

Of course, just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen, and we might look at the importance of defense differently had the 2007 Phoenix-San Antonio series played out differently. Still, the preliminary look at the 2014-15 Cavaliers suggests the most important newcomer on the roster isn't James or Love; it's Blatt, since his ability to mold this group into an above-average defense may well determine whether Cleveland can meet lofty expectations.

I wanted to post this if it hadn't posted and see predictions about how many wins will we get through the season. I think it's above 60 wins. We'll see.

With LeBron And Love, The Cavs Have About 65 Wins On Their Roster
1:07 PMAUG 7 By NATE SILVER

timberwolves-love-basketball.jpg

Former Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love.

STEVE YEATER / AP

The Cleveland Cavaliers are set up to be really good.

Cleveland will acquire Kevin Love from the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett, the No. 1 overall picks in the past two NBA drafts, according to Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski.

The trade had been anticipated even before LeBron James announced he would return to Cleveland. In fact, we had alreadyrun a projection of what the Cavs would look like with James and Love on the roster. That projection pegged them for a 63-19 record.

But our hypothetical roster had imagined Cleveland would give up its starting center, Anderson Varejao, in the Love deal — and the team’s reportedly managed to keep him. That will considerably bolster its front-court depth.

I’ve also rerun the projection based on NBA Real Plus Minus (RPM) instead of Statistical Plus Minus (SPM). My colleague Neil Paine and I are due to provide you with an overview of these various systems and their strengths and weaknesses — but the gist is that RPM is based on play-by-play data instead of box-score data and can better account for a player’s defense. Compared with SPM, RPM is higher on James and Varejao — strong defensive players — but less keen on Love. It’s also down on Kyrie Irving, the Cavs’ starting point guard, because it rates him as playing poor defense.

Still, Cavaliers fans will be pleased with the new projection: a 65-17 record.

silver-datalab-cavslove0807.png

That figure reflects an over-under line. I might take the under if offered it by Vegas for a couple of reasons. One, the projection assumes the Cavaliers stay relatively healthy, and there’s no guarantee of that. Second, the Cavaliers are so clearly ahead of anyone else in the Eastern Conference — especially with the injury to Indiana’s Paul George — that they might rest their stars or coast down the stretch. That could help them in the playoffs, where rest matters quite a bit, but could shave a couple of wins off their regular-season record.

In addition, there’s always uncertainty about how high-volume scorers like James, Love and Irving will mesh together, and it may take Cleveland the better part of the season to figure out how to distribute possessions. A lot of statistical projections overrated the Miami Heat’s regular-season win total for the 2010-11 season, their first year with James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

But there’s also a case our projection for Cavs is too pessimistic. The case turns on Irving improving his defense. Irving is a good athlete, and with James mentoring him and a championship to play for, his results on the defensive end could improve. The same holds for other young Cavaliers, such as Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson, which RPM also rates as poor defenders.

Either way, the trade should make Cleveland a championship contender. Before adding Love, it projected to a win total in the low-to-mid 50s. A team like that will win the NBA title less than 5 percent of the time. By comparison, a team with 60 regular season wins will win the title about 20 percent of the time, and a 65-win team will win the title about 60 percent of the time.

silver-feature-lebron-chart.png

Nice article, although projecting Delly at 15 minutes per game after he played 18 as a rookie seems kind of silly, considering our backcourt is actually less crowded now than it was last season. Unless Miller unexpectedly regains his lost lateral mobility, Delly should eat up almost all of the bench minutes at PG and SG, giving him around 25-30 a night.

Nice article, although projecting Delly at 15 minutes per game after he played 18 as a rookie seems kind of silly, considering our backcourt is actually less crowded now than it was last season. Unless Miller unexpectedly regains his lost lateral mobility, Delly should eat up almost all of the bench minutes at PG and SG, giving him around 25-30 a night.
WHAT??!?!? Delly Is NOT averaging 25-30 mpg.. That is a ludicrous prediction...

I think the defensive "problems" are being blown out of proportion and our offense is even being a little underrated. People are undervaluing kyrie irving and dion waiters, and the positive effect Lebrons going to have on everyone. I'm going with 68-70 wins. (Yes, 70)

About the minutes, of course it'll not happen like it predicted. Also those last names who get 5 - 10 min s may not get those unless there's a garbage time

wow this could be huge for the Cavs
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA’s new TV contracts could increase salary cap by about $16 million <a href="http://t.co/2IsHHW2ytq">http://t.co/2IsHHW2ytq</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="">September 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The second article doesn't have Shawn Marion listed which will change the numbers some. I also don't expect Powell to see the floor let alone a jersey, that man will be in a suit 99% of the time.

The salary cap going up has been known for a while now but its only going to help the Cavs pay less tax because of our 3 max contracts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA’s new TV contracts could increase salary cap by about $16 million <a href="http://t.co/2IsHHW2ytq">http://t.co/2IsHHW2ytq</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="">September 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
Link is currently blocked for me at work. Assuming he means a 16 mil jump from 2015-2016 to 2016-2017?

And that is, I am assuming, based on the current CBA?

The second article doesn't have Shawn Marion listed which will change the numbers some. I also don't expect Powell to see the floor let alone a jersey, that man will be in a suit 99% of the time.

The salary cap going up has been known for a while now but its only going to help the Cavs pay less tax because of our 3 max contracts.

Holy Shit I totaly didn't see it. This will make his prediction to go up even further :chuckle:

Holy Shit I totaly didn't see it. This will make his prediction to go up even further :chuckle:

In the projections I've seen, it doesn't move the needle very much and it didn't move it in the direction you expect.

Last season Marion had an RPM = -1.05, while Jones had RPM = -0.21.

Last edited:
In the projections I've seen, it doesn't move the needle very much and it didn't move it in the direction you expect.

Last season Marion had an RPM = -1.05, while Jones had RPM = -0.21.
The reason is Marion was always tried to defend the best Forward\Guard all the time just like Klay; he looks - on defense while Curry + on D. Yeah you're right about it. I just like to see that numbers and championship talk after some shitty seasons. I just feels good

Last edited:
This is exactly why the Cavs aren't worried one bit about salary. Been projected for awhile that the cap could go as high as $85-90 million, with the tax level well past $100 million.

Could have Bron, Kyrie and Love all maxed out, add someone with Haywood, give decent extensions to Dion and Tristan, and still be able to have a relatively affordable roster, especially for Dan Gilbert.

With the cap going up, doesn't this mean Lebron will opt out after the season and get a max contract with more money? Same with Kevin Love? How do we know they won't just eat up the additional cap space between the two of them, given they deserve "max" money?

I don't know the first thing about how salary caps work, so I could be way off...i just figured everything would be relative...the higher the cap, the higher the players will be paid..

Or does the max amount of money that a player can be paid stay the same?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."