• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Raptors running the best NBA offense of the last 35 years

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jstock12

Sixth Man
Reaction score
http://www.basketball-reference.com...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=off_rtg

The Raptors currently have the best offense since the 3PT line was added in 1979-80.

They're scoring 116.3 Points per 100 possessions, that's better than Magic's Lakers, Nash's Suns, Jordan's Bulls.

Of the top 23 teams (>113.7), they're 18th in eFG% at .513 and 2nd last in offensive rebounding, but they commit the fewest turnovers and are 7th in FTA per field goal attempt.

Easy schedule to start the season off definitely plays a big factor in this, but it's still pretty darn impressive.

They are very good team: I'm impressed and the way they are constructed makes it obvious that it was a steal grabbing Ujiri from Denver.

Playing against them is tough because it's like all of the players they field whether starters or bench can put up 15-20 on any given night. You have to check everyone on defense. Throw in the length they have on defense with Lowry running the show and I'm expecting a good playoff run out of them this year.

After two games against us the raptors fell a couple of spots, now this year's Mavericks are at the top.

31 games in, they're still running the best offense of all time

http://www.basketball-reference.com...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=off_rtg

Code:
1. 2014-2015 Toronto Raptors
2. 1986-1987 Los Angeles Lakers
3. 1991-1992 Chicago Bulls
4. 1987-1988 Boston Celtics
5. 2009-2010 Phoenix Suns
6. 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls
7. 1994-1995 Orlando Magic

Code:
'86-'87 Lakers:
Record - 65-17
Result - NBA Championship

'91-'92 Bulls:
Record - 67-15

'87-'88 Celtics:
Record - 57-25
Result - Lost in Eastern Conference Finals

09'-'10 Suns:
Record - 54-28
Result - Lost in Western Conference Finals

'95-'96 Bulls:
Record - 72-10

'94-'95 Magic:
Record - 57-25
Result - Lost in NBA Finals

What's interesting is that that they're not truly great at one thing other than not turning it over but good in lots of areas.

1. They have the second lowest turnover rate behind only Charlotte
2. They're 7th in offensive rebounding %
3. They're only 18th in assist ratio (the percentageof possessions that in an assist); to put that into perspective, we're 7th.
4. They're 14th in three point %.
5. They're third in drawing FTs per FGA.

What's amazing is that we're running the 4th best offense at about 111 points per 100 possessions and that's WITH:

-James's ORtg at 113 which is awful for him. His rating is so low because of turnovers and missed shots at the rim. He was at 125 two years ago and 121 last year. He has the highest usage on the team so if he can get back close to where he was last year, our offense will skyrocket.

-Love is at a 114 ORtg, down from 120 last year. He's missing way too many open threes. When things balance out, I expect his ORtg to climb.

-Other shooters missing wide open attempts

-Lack of transition opportunities due to no stops

If things progress as they *should*, I can see this offense at 116 points per 100 possessions over the last 50 games.

What's interesting is that that they're not truly great at one thing other than not turning it over but good in lots of areas.

1. They have the second lowest turnover rate behind only Charlotte
2. They're 7th in offensive rebounding %
3. They're only 18th in assist ratio (the percentageof possessions that in an assist); to put that into perspective, we're 7th.
4. They're 14th in three point %.
5. They're third in drawing FTs per FGA.

What's amazing is that we're running the 4th best offense at about 111 points per 100 possessions and that's WITH:

-James's ORtg at 113 which is awful for him. His rating is so low because of turnovers and missed shots at the rim. He was at 125 two years ago and 121 last year. He has the highest usage on the team so if he can get back close to where he was last year, our offense will skyrocket.

-Love is at a 114 ORtg, down from 120 last year. He's missing way too many open threes. When things balance out, I expect his ORtg to climb.

-Other shooters missing wide open attempts

-Lack of transition opportunities due to no stops

If things progress as they *should*, I can see this offense at 116 points per 100 possessions over the last 50 games.

1337966891582_8334424.png

Move over, Toronto. Detroit playing like the best team in the NBA since the waiving of JSmoove. :chuckle: And I mean literally considering ORtg and DRtg. over 10 quarters.:confused:

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."