• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

RCF Baseball Hall of Fame Vote

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who Should Be Inducted from the 2019 Hall of Fame Ballot?

• Total voters

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Who should get in and why?

A few rules:

1. You can only vote for 10 players, as the National Baseball Hall of Fame allows
2. I did not include Rivera, Halladay, and Martinez in the poll because they are shoo-ins to get in already, so we're assuming they will make it. You should include them in your ten in they would get your votes. However, you don't have to include them in your ten if you don't feel they are worthy.

In addition to the 3 gimmes:

Mussina - Think we should all be able to agree on this one.
Clemens - HoF numbers just from his Boston days.
Bonds - HoF numbers even if you take out everything he did post-McGwire/Sosa
Walker - overlooked due to era and Coors field, but even park adjusted numbers have him as an all-time special player.
Rolen - top 5 defensive 3B of all-time, and an unbelievably underrated hitter. His career wRC+ is the same as Paul Molitor.

those 5 should be in...

Also:

Vizquel
Ramirez

These guys are my homer picks, but they have valid cases on their own even if Vizquel's case isn't as sound as most of us Indians fans would like to believe. Manny will likely never make it because he actually has positive tests and suspensions attached to his name, but he was such an incredible hitter, and my all-time favorite player.

Others:
Andruw Jones - possibly the best defensive outfielder of all-time. Probably should have gotten a vote over Vizquel/Ramirez.

Who should get in and why?

A few rules:

1. You can only vote for 10 players, as the National Baseball Hall of Fame allows
2. I did not include Rivera, Halladay, and Martinez in the poll because they are shoo-ins to get in already, so we're assuming they will make it. You should include them in your ten in they would get your votes. However, you don't have to include them in your ten if you don't feel they are worthy.

Who is all on the ballot this year? I’ll fill mine out tonight

Pete-Rose.0.0.jpg

Rivera/Martinez/Halladay: yeah sure whateva.

1. Curt Schilling. Statswise he is borderline because of his late bloomage. His playoff work imo puts him over the top- he was a huge part of two World Series winners. He also gets a bump for having his best seasons smack in the middle of the Steroid Era.

2. Barry Bonds. All-time great who juiced and became a video game creation. He was a HOFer before he juiced. Plus he has to face the heat again if elected and to me that's fair.

3. Roger Clemens. Same argument here as Bonds. Would almost like to see the juicers in their own separate class, honestly.

4. Manny Ramirez. Less 'sympathy' here, as Manny was caught several times and after the crackdown. One of the best hitters I've ever seen.

5. Larry Walker. Numbers inflated by Coors Field but was a star before and after.

6. Fred McGriff. Its a crime he isn't in. Was a lineup anchor and a defensive anchor for years. Its not his fault the media didn't give him proper due during his prime with MVP votes.

The rest can all go buy tickets like the rest of us- especially that juicing SS who couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag for the majority of his career.

I’m tired of the debate over Pete Rose, 100% over it.
Same with Bonds. I mean for fucks sake, look at what they did prior to their fuck ups. Jesus
Then why try and start a debate on it?

1. Curt Schilling. Statswise he is borderline because of his late bloomage. His playoff work imo puts him over the top- he was a huge part of two World Series winners. He also gets a bump for having his best seasons smack in the middle of the Steroid Era.

2. Barry Bonds. All-time great who juiced and became a video game creation. He was a HOFer before he juiced. Plus he has to face the heat again if elected and to me that's fair.

3. Roger Clemens. Same argument here as Bonds. Would almost like to see the juicers in their own separate class, honestly.

4. Manny Ramirez. Less 'sympathy' here, as Manny was caught several times and after the crackdown. One of the best hitters I've ever seen.

5. Larry Walker. Numbers inflated by Coors Field but was a star before and after.

6. Fred McGriff. Its a crime he isn't in. Was a lineup anchor and a defensive anchor for years. Its not his fault the media didn't give him proper due during his prime with MVP votes.

The rest can all go buy tickets like the rest of us- especially that juicing SS who couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag for the majority of his career.
Harsh words about Omar. I’m not aware of the juicing part, but if true, and he still hit kinda of lousy, that’s a great endorsement for Bonds.

Harsh words about Omar. I’m not aware of the juicing part, but if true, and he still hit kinda of lousy, that’s a great endorsement for Bonds.
Suddenly developed power for two years in his 30s. Smack in middle of Steroid Era. On team with other confirmed cheats. It was rumored at the time. Now obviously lots of guys cheated and I dont think this would/should keep him out- I think almost all of the other major juicers from then should be in- but when trying to justify him being a HOFer despite being the worst offensive regular in baseball for much of his career it bears noting he had to juice to not be awful at the plate.

No love for Mussina? Pitched in the same era as Schilling with better numbers. FWIW, Schilling would have been on my ballot if I didn't make 2 homer picks.

Suddenly developed power for two years in his 30s. Smack in middle of Steroid Era. On team with other confirmed cheats. It was rumored at the time. Now obviously lots of guys cheated and I dont think this would/should keep him out- I think almost all of the other major juicers from then should be in- but when trying to justify him being a HOFer despite being the worst offensive regular in baseball for much of his career it bears noting he had to juice to not be awful at the plate.

No idea if he roided or not, he was a terrible hitter regardless. One of the reasons I stated his case for the hall isn't as good as most Cleveland fans want to think.

I'm just trying to figure out which two seasons he developed power? He had one where he clocked 14, but that was sandwiched between a couple 2 HR seasons.

Funny, he only had a single season in his entire career where he graded out as an above average hitter. Ended with a career wRC+ of 83, which means he was 17% worse than the average hitter throughout his career. For reference, that wRC+ would have ranked 130 out of 141 qualified hitters last year.

Yeah the guy hit double digit HRs once in his 24 year career and it was 14....hardly an indictment he was juicing.

Far cry from someone like Jacoby Ellsbury who hit 32 in 2011 and his next highest number is 16.

Yeah the guy hit double digit HRs once in his 24 year career and it was 14....hardly an indictment he was juicing.

Far cry from someone like Jacoby Ellsbury who hit 32 in 2011 and his next highest number is 16.

For what its worth, according to a former GM I talked with, a ton of the guys who were never homerun hitters were juicing for speed, health, and recovery from injury purposes. Now he never named names so I have no idea if Vizquel juiced, but its possible.

Also the number he threw out there was about 80% of baseball juiced. So if Josh is correct, and I have no reason to doubt a former GM, then there is no reason to keep anyone out for juicing as the vast majority of the league was taking some form of Peds….heck of allot more than just using anabolic steroids.

Give me Rivera, Schilling, Mussina, Martinez, Halladay, Rolen, and Vizquel.

Still not huge on the big PED guys. They'll get in eventually, but not with my vote. Rather toss it at guys like Rolen or Vizquel who are deserving IMO, but need every vote they can get.

I think Scott Rolen is criminally underrated.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."